Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 02:47 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Why didn't Fetterman disclose his clinical depression diagnosis prior to being elected a U.S. Senator or, for that matter, Lt Governor?

IDK, because he was already popular enough?

Old 02-21-2023, 04:46 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
IDK, because he was already popular enough?
A lot of us cringed at his performance in the debate, but in retrospect, it seems that it won him sympathy votes, so I'm not so certain that this is all that much of a joke.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:49 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Back to the main question:

I don't really see Gov. Shapiro naming Gisele Fetterman to the post should her husband resign it.

And from what's been emanating from the Fetterman camp, I don't even see him resigning it.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Back to the main question:

I don't really see Gov. Shapiro naming Gisele Fetterman to the post should her husband resign it.

And from what's been emanating from the Fetterman camp, I don't even see him resigning it.
I don't see Shapiro being happy about it, but I can see the Fetterman camp negotiating it as a condition for resigning, should a serious new and unforeseen medical emergency arise.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:22 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A lot of us cringed at his performance in the debate, but in retrospect, it seems that it won him sympathy votes, so I'm not so certain that this is all that much of a joke.
Sympathy votes? That was U.S. Senate seat race not some local neighborhood committee election.

Also, there was a reason no one saw Fetterman until the debate in late October: early voting was well underway.

Last edited by MPK21; 02-22-2023 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 11:31 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't see Shapiro being happy about it, but I can see the Fetterman camp negotiating it as a condition for resigning, should a serious new and unforeseen medical emergency arise.
Yep, Gisele wants and will get that seat if it opens up. The Fetterman camp just needs to rely on the ''sympathy vote'' again. Shapiro won't like it but emotions/sympathy rule over common sense today.

Of course the Fetterman camp is saying he'll be fine...they've said this since May about the stroke and we just find out he's long-term clinically depressed and will be in treatment for a month. So, yeah, the Fetterman camp has credibility...lol And Fetterman is not fine from his stroke yet this folks let him take that seat to the detriment of his health/life and then put out that they're proud of him for seeking depression treatment...wtf...you can't make this stuff up and people actually or at least pretend to buy this b.s.

Between the stroke, lack of rehab, the shocking debate, entering the pressure cooker of Washington politics, a hospitalization, followed by a second hospitilization for Fetterman's long term clinical depression, I hope this guy survives, literally.

Not buying into the ''he's doing this for his wife and family'' by entering into at least a month-long inpatient treatment for clinical depression; where was Gisele's concern last May after the stroke?

I saw the Fettermans in Center City maybe the weekend before the debate; he was in his shorts-hoodie walking zombie like as Gisele was leading him around.

Btw, the way Fetterman dresses is a sign of depression and maybe not so much his bonding with the working class.

I don't believe Fetterman will last in the Senate.

Last edited by MPK21; 02-22-2023 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2023, 01:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Is that how it works in PA? The gov picks a replacement and the replacement serves out the term?
That's how it works in Pennsylvania and 36 other states.

Another 8 states allow for temporary appointments (unless the vacancy occurs within varying numbers of days preceding the next regular election) while 5 states allow for no appointments in favor of special elections (again, unless the vacancy occurs within varying numbers of days preceding the next regular election).

Old 02-26-2023, 09:17 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Eagleton didn't really meltdown, his mental health issues had been a decade or more earlier. The issue was that it was unknown when McGovern chose him. There was a feeding frenzy when the media uncovered it.
The issue was that back then, the stigma against mental illness and seeking treatment for it was much worse than it is now.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The issue was that back then, the stigma against mental illness and seeking treatment for it was much worse than it is now.
The issue in 1972 was Eagleton potentially being "one heartbeat away" from the Presidency. Psychiatrists could not rule out that he would have another episode requiring hospitalization, so George McGovern, rightly or wrongly, replaced him on the ticket.

Tom Eagleton, as I have already pointed out in this thread, was re-elected twice more by the people of Missouri after the revelations. So the voters in the 1970's and early 80's really had no qualms about a U.S. Senator serving with the potential to be hospitalized for depression.

If Fetterman comes through this hospitalization and no new health issues are revealed, I don't expect this to be an issue with Pennsylvania voters in 2028. But I certainly don't expect Fetterman to be on a national ticket.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:05 AM

10,869 posts, read 4,540,181 times
connor lamb is the pick the admin wants and has said so. fetterman threw them a curve by winning the primary. on a semi serious note, fetterman pretty much has to 'abdicate' or else face arkancide and the precursor conditions are in place. the admin is playing up the stroke and depression/suicide angle in preparation. dontcha love modern politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania