Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times

Advertisements

Looking For Towns Around Moscow That Attend The North Poconos School District? Is Moscow A Good Area Or Are There Surrounding Areas That Are Nice Or Nicer? Thanks, Deirdre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 12,214 times
Mt cobb is a nice place.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
clarks summit is a very nice area

Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
clarks summit is a very nice area

Clarks Summit is a sterile cul-de-sac McMansion soccer-moms-in-luxury-SUV-yapping-on-cell-phone area that is devoid of character. The epitomy of sterility and sprawl. Well, the town center of Clarks Sumit is nice, and the older neighborhoods surrounding it, but the Abingtons as a whole is not my cup of tea.

And Moscow is quickly becoming another Abingtons with sterile McMansion developments like Harmony Hills.

Stick to the valley in Lackawanna County. Its much more down-to-earth with character and charm.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Clarks Summit is a sterile cul-de-sac McMansion soccer-moms-in-luxury-SUV-yapping-on-cell-phone area that is devoid of character. The epitomy of sterility and sprawl. Well, the town center of Clarks Sumit is nice, and the older neighborhoods surrounding it, but the Abingtons as a whole is not my cup of tea.

And Moscow is quickly becoming another Abingtons with sterile McMansion developments like Harmony Hills.

Stick to the valley in Lackawanna County. Its much more down-to-earth with character and charm.
I agree. CoArtist and myself have chatted in the past about Clarks Summit, and it's basically a case of "different strokes for different folks." The town proper itself has a certain charm to it that I like; after a visit last year to Everything Natural to treat myself to a few organic goodies, I put my groceries in the car and proceeded to head up the hill into the older residential part of town. I was pleased to see so much well-kept older architecture along Nelson Street, School Street, Stone Avenue, Claremont Avenue, Main Avenue, East Grove Street, etc. When most people think "Abington" they think just like you and I tend to (cul-de-sacs, soccer moms, BMW SUVs in every driveway, people who are addicted to the "plastic", gawdy driveway entrances, HOAs, etc.) However, when I wandered around Clarks Summit (and parts of Clarks Green), I got the same sense of history and nostalgia that I get when I walk around Green Ridge or the Hill Section. I felt the same way when I meandered around backroads to "explore" and ended up "lost" in the village of Waverly, which I later learned was almost entirely on the National Historic Register. Places like these I adore, but people aren't moving to places like these (Clarks Summit has actually been losing population since 1990). South Abington Township, Abington Township, Newton Township, and now even parts of Scott Township and Glenburn Township are becoming "hotbeds" for new suburban sprawl activity. THIS is what I abhor about the Abingtons the most---the downing of trees everywhere so that more people can move out of Scranton and into homes they're only building to "impress their colleagues" in some community with an ironic name like "Royal Oaks" or "Oakford Glen" (which are named after the very trees that were likely felled to make room for their new homes).

I'm trying, ConorsDad, to steer as many people into Scranton as I can, but if they don't want to move into an existing neighborhood over some odd fears of crime, lack of "elbow room", etc., then I can't force them to. I'm committed to helping as many people as I can with their inquiries; I just wish all of them weren't about "new developments." I just received a bit of an ego boost yesterday when I had another inquiry for a couple who wanted to purchase a home in the Hill Section, proving that my photo tours of Scranton might not have been fruitless after all! WeLuvPA likes to say I "only take pictures of the rich people neighborhoods", but, weather-permitting, I'll be out in full force to take pictures of Hyde Park and other parts of West Side within a few days, which are decidedly "middle-class." If WeLuvPA thinks that West Side is a "rich neighborhood", then there's truly no pleasing him.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
To answer your question, Dee, why not check into Moscow itself? It only has around 2,000 people, has some cute mom-and-pop businesses dotted around it, is within walking distance to the North Pocono school campus, has very low crime, and reasonable housing prices (although I think they'll be soaring within a few years as more NJ/NY folks learn about this "secret" town in the Poconos). As ConorsDad implied, Harmony Hills tends to DOMINATE the town "skyline" now with its dozens upon dozens of McMansions, but the town remains a nice place to live, in my opinion. Elmhurst is also nice, as is Mt. Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania