Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM

29 posts, read 144,834 times

Advertisements

I am in need of information regarding teaching and the requirements to become one in PA and Beyond. Can you become a teacher if you have a felony record or any kind of record? If yes, should you be able to? If anyone knows any place to find the correct info or has correct info please respond.

Ex.
At 18 yr olds a kid gets a felony and serves his time.
At 26yrs old gets a DUI and serves his time.
This person has not been in trouble besides the above. Has been helping area youth for many years.
Can he become a teacher?
Should he be able to teach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I know you can't be one if you have a DUI, so I would think a felony would be out of the question also. As to should he, I don't think that's a good question for this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM

50 posts, read 396,778 times
First responce answer... NO
Do I believe that a lot of Felony Charges should not be felony Charges YES... The Government wants everyone to have a felony so that no one can own a gun!!!
As far as the DUI. That should not in anyway affect a person for a teaching job, You can get a DUI on a Bike, a lawn Tractor, and Yes even a Horse... I would think that circumstances should be taken into account on a DUI...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post
I am in need of information regarding teaching and the requirements to become one in PA and Beyond. Can you become a teacher if you have a felony record or any kind of record? If yes, should you be able to? If anyone knows any place to find the correct info or has correct info please respond.

Ex.
This person has not been in trouble besides the above. Has been helping area youth for many years.
Can he become a teacher?
It really should depend on the felony as you are to be an example to these children. clearly if it was a violent nature then no way, abuse, sexual in nature no way. drug possession, selling or using, i dont think so.

if it is theft maybe maybe not. auto related i dont think so

Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM

114 posts, read 713,520 times
I doubt it. I had to pass 2 background checks to clean the school- and even more checks to work in a group home. I doubt he can get certified. Not with a felony. (sorry)

Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 18,145 times
Default Can a convicted Felon become a teacher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post

Ex.
Can he become a teacher?
First of all, do not take the advice so far given. It will mainly depend on the state you committed the felony and the nature and severity of the felony. (drug related,gun related or violence etc) In Illinois you can get a certificate of disability and a few other options to "cover" the felony excepting for State and Federal background checks. Most states have something similar. It is not a Pardon but it does almost the same thing. It blocks all but State and Government agencies from viewing your history. It gives the covering based on what field you are wanting to enter. (teaching, real estate, paralegal etc.) This would allow you to go to school and apply for jobs without your direct supervisors in your given field being able to see your negative history. Your State , if they have such a program, would look at the felony and decide if it could be covered for the purpose of your desired field i.e. the teaching, real estate etc. (in Illinois it lists the fields of interest that the felony can be covered for purposes of employment in that field) I would contact the Governors office of the state or the Parole Board your felony was committed and ask about Pardons and programs that would/could cover a felony from years past. I also know in Illinois that you can seal EVERYTHING that is misdemeanor with the exception of D.U.I and violent class C crimes. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving got that exception passed) Unless your D.U.I. was a felony D.U.I. and your driving privileges have not been restored. The D.U.I. will/would not keep you from becoming a teacher.
Don't let negative people keep you from your dreams. Remember if you can't teach you could get a degree in Social Work and mentor kids at an agency that helps and supports children. These options include child counseling, abused women and children. Many oportunities for you. (provided your felony was not child or elder abuse related) If your state decides you can't teach become a Senator. lol The percentage of d.u.i. convictions and other misdemeanors and felonies is astounding in both the Senate and House of Representatives. Many can't even get a checking account or credit card? Good luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:21 AM

783 posts, read 2,021,961 times
i would think that it would be extremely difficult to be hired with a felony conviction. perhaps you can petition rendell for clemency and have your record cleaned. I knew of 1 teacher that got a dui and managed to keep his job. He was with the district for a good 25 years or longer and the school board hushed it up and kept him for fear of a lawsuit with the union. I believe there was also a recent case in PA where a teacher was misusing some drug, similar to morphine, for back pain. She went to the bathroom, overdosed, and was found laying unconscious on the floor. They fired her. She got the union to back her and it was ruled that she should keep her job. The school district took it to the supreme court and the teacher eventually lost. So, it really depends on if you are hired when it happens, how long you've been part of the district, your connections with the union big wigs and the school board, etc. it's all in who you know.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM

75 posts, read 241,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
It really should depend on the felony as you are to be an example to these children. clearly if it was a violent nature then no way, abuse, sexual in nature no way. drug possession, selling or using, i dont think so.

if it is theft maybe maybe not. auto related i dont think so
I dont really think any kid gives a carp whether or not you ever highjacked some car. taking a material possession is bad in terms of morally wrong and obviously making someones life more difficult, but this is not physically harming someone and iits an ocean of difference. Vandalism and theft are outlets of frustration for people who dont have a lot of opportunities to be "heard" so to speak. I think if you did your time and learned your lesson, why not be allowed to teach? No one is perfect.

But if you hurt someone, particularly a child, then no, of course not. Abuse is never okay and i believe science shows that its hard to correct violent proclivities - if you have them, you are prone to violence, no matter how hard you try to correct it. If anyone has info contrary to this, feel free to share, but i feel that if you've created a physical harm, no one will feel safe around you and shouldnt have to.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM

75 posts, read 241,836 times
PS in some states you can ask for the court to expunge your record after so many years. Look into your local court system- often they will have free advocates who give advice and act as your lawyer in local matters. Not all crimes can be expunged, like if you killed someone, probably will not be cleared lol.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
i think it should be for most felonies, not sure or care what the kids think--the parents are the adults and theft is just as bad as the other issues in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania