Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 37,553 times

Advertisements

Just so I can broaden my horizons and not be so close minded, I was wondering which cities were culturally diverse. I'm Puerto Rican and have never had to deal with direct racism, as I'm sure it can be an issue no matter where I go, and I don't want to move out of New York (which is a heavily diverse area I live in) and would like to explore my options.

From your experiences being Pennsylvania residents, I want to know which cities are culturally diverse aside from Allentown. The only PA city I've been to was the "tourist" area of Philly on a school trip my sophomore year of high school and loved it. But it was only a mere taste of the cultural diversity I'm sure is spread throughout PA.

For reference I am not asking to be in a fully Puerto Rican community, I get along with pretty much anyone. I've just researched that many cities are heavily caucasion and was curious as to where the diversity lies. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyxsorrowx View Post
Just so I can broaden my horizons and not be so close minded, I was wondering which cities were culturally diverse. I'm Puerto Rican and have never had to deal with direct racism, as I'm sure it can be an issue no matter where I go, and I don't want to move out of New York (which is a heavily diverse area I live in) and would like to explore my options.

From your experiences being Pennsylvania residents, I want to know which cities are culturally diverse aside from Allentown. The only PA city I've been to was the "tourist" area of Philly on a school trip my sophomore year of high school and loved it. But it was only a mere taste of the cultural diversity I'm sure is spread throughout PA.

For reference I am not asking to be in a fully Puerto Rican community, I get along with pretty much anyone. I've just researched that many cities are heavily caucasion and was curious as to where the diversity lies. Thanks in advance.
Pretty much everywhere from Harrisburg south to York in the Central PA area, east from Lancaster through Chester County to Philly, north to Allentown and beyond to the Poconos is pretty diverse. There are Puerto Ricans and other Latinos in all of these areas, as well as African Americans and people from other parts of the world. Roughly the eastern third of the state, excluding the far northern reaches, fits the description. The West (Pgh and environs) is a bit different; it too is diverse but Latinos don't seem to be a significant part of the mix.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Thank you for your response. I was looking at Pittsburgh some time ago but then my mother told me that was too far away from her. Mothers lol. We currently live in NYC so we were looking at Quakertown which isn't too far from NYC. If we don't like Quakertown then we can check out these other cities. Thanks again for broadening my horizons.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyxsorrowx View Post
Thank you for your response. I was looking at Pittsburgh some time ago but then my mother told me that was too far away from her. Mothers lol. We currently live in NYC so we were looking at Quakertown which isn't too far from NYC. If we don't like Quakertown then we can check out these other cities. Thanks again for broadening my horizons.
Quakertown is not known for its diversity........an old friend once warned me not to even set foot there. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as he said, but I also don't think it is, like I said, a great place for those who are not white. If you're thinking Bucks County, check out Morrisville or Yardley.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Will do. Thanks for the warning. Are they relatively close to NYC? I won't be driving any more than say 2 hours and 30 minutes, which was relatively where Quakertown lies in distance between here (NYC) and there.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 15,873 times
You will have the easiest time in Allentown.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Pretty much everywhere from Harrisburg south to York in the Central PA area, east from Lancaster through Chester County to Philly, north to Allentown and beyond to the Poconos is pretty diverse. There are Puerto Ricans and other Latinos in all of these areas, as well as African Americans and people from other parts of the world. Roughly the eastern third of the state, excluding the far northern reaches, fits the description. The West (Pgh and environs) is a bit different; it too is diverse but Latinos don't seem to be a significant part of the mix.
I've lived in four counties (Lehigh, Delaware, Chester and Montgomery) in South eastern PA and NONE of the school districts we were in had anywhere near 10% ethnicity other then Caucasian. Once you get out of the cities, you really aren't going to find big populations of non-Caucasian groups. If diversity is important, check out SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/ust=PA/p=1/fp=1 - broken link) and look at classroom demographics to compare schools and districts.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM

I had once found a cultural breakdown of morrisville and I found it was 73% caucasian and 19% african american, so it seemed diverse enough but I will see when the time comes. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 AM

[quote=toobusytoday;9848102]
Quote:
I've lived in four counties (Lehigh, Delaware, Chester and Montgomery) in South eastern PA and NONE of the school districts we were in had anywhere near 10% ethnicity other then Caucasian.
That may be because you chose to be in districts that were more than 90% white. There are districts in each of those counties that are more diverse than that. Are they highly ranked? Maybe not, but they are there.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm sure diversity lies in at least a corner of each city, it just may be hard to find. Well eventually I'll be able to see which I like and which I dislike. How are the schools in morrisville? Do you guys know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania