Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,166,434 times

Advertisements

Remember the old yellow with blue lettering. They were great.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_PA_GI7_1970%27s-today.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:24 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,556,288 times
My favorite was the 1983 series sticker. I do see the 1987 series on some antique cars. I agree. Why do they have to change a good thing?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
I wish PA could do NY style plates with Philly and Pittsburgh on the edges and other state things in the middle.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,879 times
You can get those dumb wildlife plates with the picture of the tiger or the panda bear. Apparently those animals are all over the areas of PA that I don't frequent. Heaven forbid someone use some common sense and put a deer, bear, or eagle on those things.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
You can get those dumb wildlife plates with the picture of the tiger or the panda bear. Apparently those animals are all over the areas of PA that I don't frequent. Heaven forbid someone use some common sense and put a deer, bear, or eagle on those things.
I always wondered why there were tiger ones. Haven't seen the panda bear, or just didn't note it as a PA tag. I'd probably get the tiger one though, just because the regular plate is so blah. Though if they had a eagle - I'd get that one for sure.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
There's also the saw-whet owl and the river otter plates for the Wild Resource Conservation Fund. Those are a little more native than the PZ series for PA zoos.

Don't forget the nearly unreadable plates for Flagship Niagara. Those raised a lot of money far from Erie until someone realized years later why they were popular on sports cars elsewhere in the state.

But honestly I don't think PA plates are too bad compared to some of the others. Such as the sickening yellow color of NJ plates that they carry even onto their special plates like "conquer cancer". Maybe it's an interstate compact that NJ has to give fair warning in other states when one of their drivers is coming. I've heard cars with NJ plates referred to as "puke taggers."

Alabama plates just make me want to go "Huh?" when I see the "Stars Fell On" tagline. Kentucky had a smiling sun that made me wonder whether the governor's granddaughter designed it, but I think those got replaced.

My profession has its own license plates in NY. But not in PA.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
PA always has the worst license plates, about the only states I can think of with worse plates than PA are NJ and DE....I think we should take some examples from other states with nice plates:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
There's also the saw-whet owl and the river otter plates for the Wild Resource Conservation Fund. Those are a little more native than the PZ series for PA zoos.

Don't forget the nearly unreadable plates for Flagship Niagara. Those raised a lot of money far from Erie until someone realized years later why they were popular on sports cars elsewhere in the state.

But honestly I don't think PA plates are too bad compared to some of the others. Such as the sickening yellow color of NJ plates that they carry even onto their special plates like "conquer cancer". Maybe it's an interstate compact that NJ has to give fair warning in other states when one of their drivers is coming. I've heard cars with NJ plates referred to as "puke taggers."

Alabama plates just make me want to go "Huh?" when I see the "Stars Fell On" tagline. Kentucky had a smiling sun that made me wonder whether the governor's granddaughter designed it, but I think those got replaced.

My profession has its own license plates in NY. But not in PA.
I think Jersey should keep their plates - it does allow one to recognize and avoid those drivers! I'm never surprised by what the car with the Jersey plates does. Esp. if it's a hummer or other large SUV...

Oh, and beware CT drivers with hats!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I think Jersey should keep their plates - it does allow one to recognize and avoid those drivers! I'm never surprised by what the car with the Jersey plates does. Esp. if it's a hummer or other large SUV...

Oh, and beware CT drivers with hats!
You can all kiss mine i loved my Jersey Plates.

I actually think the current PA plates are some of the best in the country.

Very Basic.. Solid Dark Blue Stripe on the top... Solid Yellow Stripe on the bottom.. white in the middle.. WAY better then the 2000 series with the fading Stripes.. those were ugly.

The more basic the plate.. the less annoying as far as i see it. Delware has nice plates for that reason as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
I don't like the current plates either. Instead of slogan we have visitpa.com. That's silly, do we really want drivers to log in to the website while driving?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania