Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
But if they don't pay attention to their bottom lines, their business may end up closing and people lose their jobs. How is that helping the community?
If you don't take good care of the people that make up your business, productivity and morale go down........and if those things go down, you don't have much of a business to keep going in the first place. I know that's a rare concept these days, but there are a few businesses who still live by that and reap the rewards for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
If you don't take good care of the people that make up your business, productivity and morale go down........and if those things go down, you don't have much of a business to keep going in the first place. I know that's a rare concept these days, but there are a few businesses who still live by that and reap the rewards for doing so.
Some employees become dead wood regardless.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Some employees become dead wood regardless.
Yes they do.

Businesses that are successful over the long term certainly create a good environment for their employees.

However, business changes and evolves. What might have been relevant 10 or 20 years ago isn't now. Hence your need for certain types of skills may change.

My advice to people is never stop growing and learning. Keep developing new skills and get educated.

Again I can cite my BIL's situation with 90% of his company getting laid off for good. He started out as an office assistant and has worked his way up. He shows no reluctance to learn new parts of the business to the point he could actually do anyone's job in the factory. So when all the lay offs came and they moved across state to a new factory, he got new responsibilities and a 33% salary increase.

It's all what you make of it. A lot of people have an entitlement attitude about jobs but you've got to bring some skills and work ethic to the table in return. It's easier in good times for the mediocre or superfluous employees to coast by, but now they are exposed.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Many people dont' realize that the standard changes once employees are let go.

When you survive layoffs, you can't continue with the status quo. There's suddenly a new level of unacceptable.

After the dead wood is gone, you don't want to be the one who looks like the new dead wood.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM

79 posts, read 295,839 times
This is 2009. Let's be honest.. people are losing their jobs everyday because of the economy. I don't think they fired you because they felt like picking on you.. business is business, and when costs need to be kept down, people get let go. The longer you dwell on it, the worse you're going to feel. Take the high road and move on with your life, look at this is an opportunity to do something different.. everything happens for a reason. And going after them isn't going to get you your job back, it's just going to waste your time. Take your unemployment and think of it as a blessing to move on with your life.. Do you want to work for someone who doesn't care about you? Of course not. This is the start of a new life for you! Go after it and don't look back!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
This is 2009. Let's be honest.. people are losing their jobs everyday because of the economy. I don't think they fired you because they felt like picking on you.. business is business, and when costs need to be kept down, people get let go. The longer you dwell on it, the worse you're going to feel. Take the high road and move on with your life, look at this is an opportunity to do something different.. everything happens for a reason. And going after them isn't going to get you your job back, it's just going to waste your time. Take your unemployment and think of it as a blessing to move on with your life.. Do you want to work for someone who doesn't care about you? Of course not. This is the start of a new life for you! Go after it and don't look back!
This is more or less what I was going to say in a post. Going after them is only postponing the inevitable, the need to find another job.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,673 times
I thought that I read somewhere about the company that fired / got rid of the guy that was in sales that no one liked. The other people in the buddy club were all happy to get rid of the goose that laid the golden egg.

My opinion on that subject is that when you trade the family cow for these 3 magic beans, and when you throw away the beans, and the bean stalk grows anyways - and then you cut down the beanstalk - you end up with nothing to eat and nothing to drink.

No matter how miserable a person is , and what excuse you have for getting rid of him. When you loose your sales, it won't be long before you will be looking for a job also.

I can cite you dozens of examples of industry - such as Jackson China in Falls Creek PA. When Jackson China in Falls Creek closed, they had orders for not just thousands of dinner plates, they had orders for thousands of dozens of sets of dinner plates.

Back when you were allowed to dump your refuse at the landfill, they could run full production and what ever was deeemed no good was just thrown away. Then the DEP came along and said that the glass and the paint in the glass was no good for the landfill. So their only option was to dump their garbage in their parking lot. Along came the DEP and said that the garbage was no good for the enviroment and closed them down.

A new owner came along and said he was going to reopen the place. Instead he leased the building and stole all the machinery out of the building and then set the building on fire. The insurance company paid off on the claim and they bulldozed the whole thing into the parking lot and covered it over with dirt and now the whole place sits idle.

There is a example of a business that had orders and no problem with labor and still couldn't make a go of it.

On the other hand, just a couple of blocks down the road, Gasbarre Products Inc made powdered metal presses. They paid their employee's $6.50 a hour when I was there and min wage was about $4.75 a hour.

The employer was making money hand over fist when times were good and had to let everyone go when times were rough. Basically they are no longer in the metal compaction business right now because there is no orders for new machinery.

If they had a go getter that could get them orders for new presses and had employee's that were willing to work for a little more then min wage, then they could produce presses as long as they wanted and wouldn't even have to lock the doors at night.

But you loose the one person that is bringing in orders in a bad economy and you have no work, then sooner or later you have to change the way you do business or go out of business.

I would rather have that one miserable person than be standing on a bread line somewhere in front of a church because I lost my job because there was no money coming in.

What this woman needs to realize is that if mom is that sick, she needs to put mom in a home. Some invalid people can live a long time and unless you build something up in your social security for your old age, you are going to find out one day that mom died and she couldn't leave you anything and you didn't make enought money to build up your social security and when you go to get your pension - it will not be enough for you to live on and you will be forced to work the rest of your life in a grocery store or some clerking job to make ends meet and never will be able to retire.

I never heard of someone getting unemployment compensation - if they were not a full time employee? If you are not full time, then there is nothing to be unemployed from. That isn't the way the system works.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 PM

16 posts, read 48,267 times
Well its obvious (HOPES) that your a boss, so you would definitely think this way...... You fired a top performer just because you didn't like him or her. Wonder what he or she thinks of you. I think thats grounds for you to look at yourself.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM

16 posts, read 48,267 times
I know, I can't beleive what I'm reading. Just asked a simple question for some option and they are ready to nail me to a cross.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchar View Post
I know, I can't beleive what I'm reading. Just asked a simple question for some option and they are ready to nail me to a cross.
I don't think anyone was trying to nail you to a cross, just giving you realistic real world advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania