Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any and all info. I am open to all cities, school districts, neighborhoods. Safety is important as I also have a 12 year old daughter who will be in a regular program. She has been in the gifted programs in both the Lansing MI and Knoxville TN suburbs, so if you know of any there that also have good autism programs I'm very open, but I feel with the right prep-work I will be able to get her into the program/school in the area that is best for her.

My son is almost 7 and diagnosed as ASD for 2 years now. I thought I was unhappy in TN, I was very wrong. After my husbands lay-off lifted here we came back, however we cannot seem to get things in order here and at the end of this year when my brother gets back from the military he wants to buy my house - we have already exhausted all school of choice options and the charter (magnet) schools near me have no options available for him. For the past couple of years I have been hearing wonderful things about PA's special-ed. I just haven't really heard where exactly.

PLEASE point me in the right direction. I have also heard good things about NY and NJ but feel with PA's cost of living near what we are used too it would probably be the best fit. Nearer to medium sized cities would be good, (for decent job opportunities) but I know we can always find some type of work and we don't really live above our means so we'd figure it out regardless. THANK YOU anyone who can help out....I know it sounds like forever away but we are looking to move in Jan. 2011, and that comes way quicker than it sounds like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
I highly recommend getting a job first before you move to either NY, NJ, or PA. The job market is extremely competitive at this time. With all the transplants from NY, NJ, & MD and state/local spending, the cost of living is rising in PA and isn't cheap.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM

22 posts, read 76,701 times
An IDEAL town in PA for your family, with one exception, would be State College. It would offer the regular and gifted options for your daughter AND offer great special ed. opportunities for your son. We don't live there but have visited, researched, even visited the schools, and the educational opportunities are second to none, especially for gifted and special ed. It's low crime, family friendly, etc.....perfect in all ways, except for one thing: the job situation. Jobs are very tight up there. If you can get a job, then run, don't walk, and move there ASAP, in my opinion. But, depending upon what you and your husband do for a living, employment can be the one show stopper. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
Regarding special needs info, you should also post something on the Special Needs section under Parenting.
PA does have the Access card for children on the autism spectrum, but you need a medical diagnosis to apply for it, not just a school diagnosis. The state website has some good information about it Autism Services (http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ServicesPrograms/Autism/ - broken link). Regarding school districts, some are better than others. Harrisburg has good areas from what I hear and has a chapter of the Autism Society there that may be able to help you too. Autism Society - Greater Harrisburg Area Chapter.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
To firefightermom...
I just got on this sight today and have seen posts date back to 2008.
I'm a single California mom looking for a change. Not so much for me, but for my son. He is 18 now and he has a very rare syndrome that carries many symptoms. Autism, retardation, behavior, blindness...just to name a few. He is high functioning however he stands around the ages 6 to 7 cognitively.
What I'm looking for is a great community that has wonderful resources, great programs and that is excepting to adults like my son. Oh ya... believeing in the
Easter Bunny and Santa Clause too! Lol ;-)
Any help would be great!
Thank you. :-)

Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
codyeezmom, you'll probably get a better response if you start your own thread. Consider Pittsburgh. The cost of living is great, much lower than Philly. Smaller towns, like State College, would be difficult for finding employment.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 33,877 times
Avoid Chambersburg and the surrounding areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania