Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM

40 posts, read 226,288 times

Advertisements

My family and I visit Pensacola Beach each year. After moving to TX almost three years ago and not caring for the weather in Houston we are considering a move to Gulf Breeze.

We met a nice family on the beach a few months back and mentioned our thoughts about moving. They recommended that we did not choose Gulf Breeze because they thought the people were more snobby there. Can anyone tell me if they find this to be true? We would love to be near the water and heard the Gulf Breeze schools are wonderful. The couple we met on the beach recommended Cantonment. I don't know much about that area except it isn't by the water.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. We don't want to move and end up unhappy because we can't make friends.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I tend to think of Cantonment as largely rural/agricultural-country but with an easy commute to city jobs. Two very different types of people/lifestyles are in each area. Which area is a better fit for your family, I don't know.

I can say that there are a lot more transplants on the Santa Rosa County side of things. (Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Pace, Milton) New people coming into the area are often reluctant to try to figure out the uneven in quality Escambia schools and how to angle for one of the good schools; Santa Rosa schools generally start around above average and range to good, so it's seen as an easier place to relocate with kids.

A lot of social relationships here are military or church. If you're civilian and not particularly church-going, then I'd start out trying to meet others through kids sports and other youth activities.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks beachmouse,

I didn't realize the communities, people, and lifestyles were so different between Cantonment and the Gulf Breeze area. We have lived in both areas. Houston is such a huge city and we have been on the other end of the spectrum in Maine. I prefer to have relitively close access to whatever I need and do not think I would like to be too far out in a rural area, but at the same time and tired of big city life and it taking half an hour to get somewhere that should take you 10 minutes because of traffic.

We are military, but my husband has gotten off of active duty and is now in the reserves. Good tip about the sports activities.

We have travelled through Navarre, but I do not know anything about the community itself. Would you rate Navarre and Gulf Breeze schools about the same since they are both on the Santa Rosa side?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,265 times
You will love Gulf Breeze. Good schools, minutes to the Beach, Pensacola, shopping, etc. My family and I found it very easy to meet people and establish wonderful friendships. Get involved in local activities and you will have no worries about making great friends.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Gulf Breeze proper (the area west of Naval Live Oaks NS) is more affluent than the Midway, Holley-by-the-Sea, Navarre area, and as is commonly the case, school reputation is in sync with parental SES. Navarre area is regarded as good, but not up there with the big two academic powers of sorts (Gulf Breeze and Niceville).

Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
This thinking has been around forever. Growing up in Gulf Breeze, you constantly heard that it was full of snobs and rich people. Who knew? That ignorance still persists today. Gulf Breeze is the only place I would live in the Pensacola area. It's not snobby and not full of rich people. Sure, there are rich people and snobby people, just like in all areas, but the majority of the people are just ordinary, good people. Why anyone would recommend Cantonment to someone who loves the beach is just beyond me. All I can think of is that they believe that old tired stereotype that everyone in GB is rich and snobby.

You will make friends in Gulf Breeze, especially if you have kids. Life revolves around the kids' activities there. And if your kids like the water, there is no better place to grow up. Trust me, Cantonment is not where you want to be. There really is no reason to live in Pensacola if you can't be near the water.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight and feel much better about the area now. It seemed like so much of what we are looking for.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,349 times
Default Gulf Breeze FL

I have a great friend in Gulf Breeze and we go there to visit. The people have always been great and the schools are wonderful. We are concidering moving there also. My kids want to finish school here in Louisiana, So we will see what happens. If we stay here, we will be in FL for a visit to Gulf Breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapgirl View Post
My family and I visit Pensacola Beach each year. After moving to TX almost three years ago and not caring for the weather in Houston we are considering a move to Gulf Breeze.

We met a nice family on the beach a few months back and mentioned our thoughts about moving. They recommended that we did not choose Gulf Breeze because they thought the people were more snobby there. Can anyone tell me if they find this to be true? We would love to be near the water and heard the Gulf Breeze schools are wonderful. The couple we met on the beach recommended Cantonment. I don't know much about that area except it isn't by the water.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. We don't want to move and end up unhappy because we can't make friends.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola