Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM

44 posts, read 60,850 times

Advertisements

I moved to the area from Illinois some 4 years ago, and I am appauled at the frequency of unethical, immoral, deceptive, lies, shoddy work performed, etc...from alot of the Merchants I have used thus far. One of the benefits to moving to Florida that i had estimated, was, that the South is the Bible Belt which infers higher ethics, morals, and principles...but I was mistaken (at least as far as Crestview is concerned) . In addition to the lack of ethics, the other major complaint i have is the integrity of Service Businesses when it comes to trying to get them to come out, to do the job right , and to demonstrate some semblence of professionalism.

So far, im getting the distinct impression that the area i live in is akin to Rube Goldberg and his philosophy when it comes to things.

Perhaps for those who were born here, they dont mind it or realize what it should be like (?) . But ive heard alot of complaints especially from people who move into the area from out of state (especially coming from the North) .

Id be curious to hear feedback on this issue. Thanks. P.S. Apart from this great concern , i enjoy the great weather, slowness of pace, and overall hospitality shown by the great majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,920,504 times
Never trust a business that uses a Jesus fish in their advertising regardless of where you are. The Big Guy had some serious complaints about people who mixed religious and business affairs after all.

As for the Bible Belt, all it takes is a little bit of research to turn up much higher rates of crime there than you get in more heathen places in the country like Massachusetts or Minnesota. And the Florida Panhandle takes the corruption and Good Old Boy networks to a special and higher level.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM

317 posts, read 828,503 times
beachmouse~ I couldn't have said it better. I will add my experiences. If somebody around here has any business acumen, they will be successful. Across the board from realtors to gov't officials to contractors to county employees...nobody knows customer service or apparently how to pick of the phone and return a call. I am completely baffled by the approach of most around here.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM

44 posts, read 60,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
beachmouse~ I couldn't have said it better. I will add my experiences. If somebody around here has any business acumen, they will be successful. Across the board from realtors to gov't officials to contractors to county employees...nobody knows customer service or apparently how to pick of the phone and return a call. I am completely baffled by the approach of most around here.
I think you are both correct on this issue ; just giving darn good customer service if you are a Merchant or Service Business, will be such a stark difference to the competition around here, that it will win instant points. Ive tried to analyze this whole Merchant issue since I arrived, and ive concluded the following which may or may not be absolutely true :

1. The South, or at least where we are in Florida, is a very layed back / non assertive area when it comes to the vast majority of the population which includes Businesses .

2. The South, overall, has a populace that is not very sophisticated (?) . Its more of a simplistic approach to things (?) .

3. There is no 'time is of the essence' philosophy when dealing with Merchants or their employees.

4. The level of skill , work ethic, etc... is sub-standard versus being in a large metropolitan City.

5. The populace has been conditioned to expect mediocrity in business dealings .

Would this summation represent a fair and accurate picture ? Thank you.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,409 times
Any specifics?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,739,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
I think you are both correct on this issue ; just giving darn good customer service if you are a Merchant or Service Business, will be such a stark difference to the competition around here, that it will win instant points. Ive tried to analyze this whole Merchant issue since I arrived, and ive concluded the following which may or may not be absolutely true :

1. The South, or at least where we are in Florida, is a very layed back / non assertive area when it comes to the vast majority of the population which includes Businesses .

2. The South, overall, has a populace that is not very sophisticated (?) . Its more of a simplistic approach to things (?) .

3. There is no 'time is of the essence' philosophy when dealing with Merchants or their employees.

4. The level of skill , work ethic, etc... is sub-standard versus being in a large metropolitan City.

5. The populace has been conditioned to expect mediocrity in business dealings .

Would this summation represent a fair and accurate picture ? Thank you.
Well, I have been trying to get some electricians to come to my house and give me estimates, so far a couple that booked just didn't show up, others wanted to charge me for the estimates, (turns out one company just goes around collecting on the estimates, rarely does electrical work) all this to just fix bad work that was done earlier. I also had some painting work done, and when it started to peel and chip almost immediately the painter wouldn't repair or correct the damage.

Oh wait..that wasn't in FL, that is here in DC a large metropolitan city, where I currently live.

It is everywhere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
View detailed profiles of: