Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 12:04 AM

22 posts, read 29,704 times

Advertisements

I’m a paramedic looking to move to Florida. I’m looking at a few different spots, but I really like the panhandle. However, the affordability comes in to question based on the salary I’ll be paid down there. Okaloosa County EMS starts at 42,000 for a paramedic. I could start closer to 50,000 based on experience and the fact that I have a college degree, but I want to keep my expectations low. With even a small amount of overtime, I will make close to 50k even if I did start at 42,000. (OT is a big money maker in EMS.) No dependents, just me.

I realize I probably can’t afford to live on the beach, but I’m trying to figure out where I can afford an apartment and a future home at all.

I like really like Freeport in Walton County, but it’s a bit far from anywhere I would ever need to go besides work. I don’t even think there’s a McDonald’s for a 15 mile radius from there. I like quiet, but I also hate cooking and I like eating out. I heard they are going to have a business boom though, so I’ll still consider it. Gulf Breeze and Navarre also look nice, but I’m not sure if I could afford it. Places like Valparaiso and Crestview look like trailer parks with power lines spread all over cracked streets. I have no idea why there are so many dilapidated areas in such a desirable place to live.

If this proves too expensive, I also have considered moving to Tampa or Ocala. Tampa is wonderful, but it’s more like the big city I’m from with all of the advantages and disadvantages that it brings. Judging on home prices and quality, I’ll probably get A LOT more for my money there, vs NWF. Ocala is more Southern feeling like the panhandle, but it’s also a good ways inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 08:30 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Okaloosa emergency services had some issues a few years back and they do pay better than other panhandle areas in order to try to get better paramedics as a result. Freeport does have a McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, etc. over by Publix now and is a fairly easy trip down 331 to a whole bunch of beach area restaurants, those are often priced for affluent tourists.

Crestview is the place no one used to want to live because it was too far from the beach until the area south of Eglin AFB got built out and now there’s a ton of newer construction housing. While it can be hit or miss in spots, the area south of I-10 is nice if kind of generic and there are a lot of restaurant options just north of the Interstate interchange.

But yeah, housing costs are rough here because the military owns so much of the land and also sets a pricing floor for places you’d want to live because housing allowances for the area are more generous than a lot of places and landlords know exactly how much a young sargeant is getting for housing and price accordingly.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Okaloosa emergency services had some issues a few years back and they do pay better than other panhandle areas in order to try to get better paramedics as a result. Freeport does have a McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, etc. over by Publix now and is a fairly easy trip down 331 to a whole bunch of beach area restaurants, those are often priced for affluent tourists.

Crestview is the place no one used to want to live because it was too far from the beach until the area south of Eglin AFB got built out and now there’s a ton of newer construction housing. While it can be hit or miss in spots, the area south of I-10 is nice if kind of generic and there are a lot of restaurant options just north of the Interstate interchange.

But yeah, housing costs are rough here because the military owns so much of the land and also sets a pricing floor for places you’d want to live because housing allowances for the area are more generous than a lot of places and landlords know exactly how much a young sargeant is getting for housing and price accordingly.
Thanks for the info. I’m aware of the drama with OCEMS. Unfortunately, **** like that can happen anywhere. I don’t believe it reflects on the agency as a whole.

Ideally, I would live somewhere like Freeport. With the rapid growth of the area, I wouldn’t be surprised if they get a Target, a GameStop, and a Culver’s in the next five years.

Okaloosa EMS also promotes pretty fast. I’ve heard of someone making sergeant within six months of hire. I figure if I work hard and pursue a bachelors degree, I can earn my sergeant stripes within five years. I’m probably gonna try the nursing bridge program at NWF state college. I figure I can make 10-15k a year working part time as a nurse, which can alleviate some issues of cost.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:06 AM

35 posts, read 38,923 times
If I were you, I would focus on the growth in Manatee County EMS. They are building facilities now all over the eastern section, east of I75/Lakewood Ranch. Also look into Bradenton Cedar Hammock...lost of planned development in the western areas.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:07 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It would seem to make sense to find a job, then decide where to live. Then you will know what you can afford - and can ask others who work there what they have done.

Across the Panhandle there are many cities, all of which have a range of housing, with many new apartment projects under construction. Even relatively expensive places to live, like Destin, now have a dozen apartment complexes under construction. They have found that they must do this in order to compete for workers (ie; not even offering service sector people $15 per hour with a signing bonus, has been able to overcome high living costs; so they are building numerous apartments.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:14 AM

396 posts, read 417,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogoshian View Post
If I were you, I would focus on the growth in Manatee County EMS. They are building facilities now all over the eastern section, east of I75/Lakewood Ranch. Also look into Bradenton Cedar Hammock...lost of planned development in the western areas.
I second this. Walton Co has some of the highest real estate prices in the state, plus a higher hurricane risk. West Manatee does not have these issues, plus you have proximity to Tampa and Orlando.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbogoshian View Post
Isn’t manatee county more expensive than Walton/Okaloosa? If I would move to the Tampa area, I would probably go full time as a nurse so I could get on at a CCT company as a transport RN. Manatee EMS has new protocols I just looked at. They are okay, but they lack a critical care component.

Okaloosa has a CCT program, so I’d be fine working there full time.

Last edited by FenderClassic; 05-25-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 03:17 AM

16 posts, read 25,592 times
Get married and eat at home with your family. Much better than McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola