Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 31,214 times

Advertisements

Iam trying to find folks who were in the home in the early 70's just about till 76 I also would like to know if anyone remembers a counselor named Mike he worked in one of the boys cottages I canot remember which one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 51,702 times
Default if you knew gerry you might have known me..

gerry left the kennedy home and moved to amundson ave group home...he left the home in 1974- moved to amundson ave for about a year- then he went to college upstate- my last conversation with him was on amundson ave in the bronx- he was on his bike(he always rode a bike)- he said he was going to be a teacher.
this is the same gerry who was beat up really bad near the pelham bay park train- he told me the only way he survived was by throwing himself into someone's apartment window. This was during a time that gangs of youths beat up people in that area. i escaped a similiar faith by running fast and running into a bus. the bus driver saved my life by opening the door and letting me in. I out ran like 15 kids. i remember gerry had a sister in the home as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves33 View Post
I'm trying to reconnect with Gerry Salnave who was at the Kennedy Home in the early to mid-seventies and was a resident of DePorres Cottage. If anyone has any recent contact info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Default you must know me?

she had five brothers now i remember...leslie,frank,herman(i called him damien),and nicklaus(nicky)- that accounts for four- maybe she had five brothers in the home and six altogether.
i do remember meeting with the other brother, and i do remember meeting a sister or two- it was a large family. my memory fogs up on how this huge of a family ended up in the home. anyways. it is unlikely that you knew these guys and did not know or see me...nicky and i lived in delores hall(some say it was deplores. I think all the outer cottages and weldon hall were named after people who made donations for their creations. hayes ,delores,weldon,etc.

here is a picture of me and my sisters.....some of which were at the home temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine57 View Post
Hello I knew your brothers very well I knew Tommy Leslie and Chris I was in the home from 1973-1976 I hope your brothers are doing well I know Tommy lived in queens for awhile and leslie in Ny I would like to know how they are doing Take care
Attached Thumbnails
Kennedy Home Alumni-back_in_the_dayz_jpg.jpg  

Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Yes it was Nicky not Chris don't know how I got Chris anyway I used to hang around with Anna Lopez and Rosita and Aida gonzalez Also a girl named Milagros known as Millie who married Larry Byrnes. There were other people who were a bit older I used to be a cheerleader for the basketball team. So many many wonderful memories and so many good people who truly helped me to become a better person today. I cant remember the name of some of the counselors there but I remember a few of them were old homies themselves. Iremember a guy named Blair who had a sister there as well can't remember her name. I used to work in the administrative office on the switchboard for a short time.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM

To thor1loki you must remember a girl name Yvonne I believe that was her name she was going out with this guy from Weldon Hall she got killed by a drunk driver. do you know who I am talking about? and what ever happened to that young man?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford324 View Post
Lisa,

My maiden name in St. Joseph's Home was Sonia Roque. You appeared to have been there during my stay from 1960-1970. You may be more familiar with my sister Elpedia. I am now living in Dallas, TX and have been here for 22 years. I have a daughter who is 35 years old and two grandsons, one 15 and the other 7. You are welcome to contact me via my email address @soniaford78@yahoo.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.
I remember Elpedia you can not forget a name like that my name is josephine the used to call me jo josie or jo jo anyways I hung around mostly with Aida and Rosita Gonzalez Annie Ruiz Ana Lopez I was in the Kennedy Home from 1973 1976

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM

millie was a slender dark haired wonderfully beautiful woman. she took me under her wing...she explained the facts of life and really helped me understand woman..she was at least seven years older than me...larry her boyfriend played for the basketball team- he was pretty good. i think he lived in hayes cottage, eventually i moved from 3B to delores hall(next to hayes) behind weldon hall. tom hughes ran the gym, i eventually helped him open and close the gym for money.. i also helped at the rec hall...we used to have billiards, music, candy and stuff their. I remember almost every wednesday during the summer we had bbq's outside. the older girls would love it..we had swim competition,basketball competition, stickball games. and softball games. a couple of years we had the cbstv people come play us softball games... i remember meeting jim jansen(he passed a while back). he would pitch for them- fast...i remember once i hit the softball into the pool- he couldn't believe it...but he told me he liked the way i played softball. janet arroyo,cari suarez,most of the girls i only knew their first names..pictures would help...there were so many beautiful girls at the home..you are right the home was good to me- i can try to recall the people who i lived with..tom flores,eddie escoto(in high school i finally i was finally able to beat his ass(short bully),his older brother,james "satch" sandrianna(he was a rhodes scholar(actually read the hobbits books before they became the three rings(or whatever),michael brancasio(he had maybe two sisters)-it took till high school before i beat his ass(another bigger bully), i actually thought of dating his younger sister as payback(imagine if i had married her-she was cute).the gilliam brothers(only nicky had fight issues-the rest were calmer). well i guess if someone gave me a list of names- i could put check marks on them...the counselors...richard bagarozy-he took a lot of photos- i keep trying to track him down- he must be 60 by now,marty kaufman-read a book a day,noel darrohn-played tennis and loved the yankees, john murphy-became a cop-even after knocking my front tooth out, and causing me to have lip surgery- i was a good boy- trying to stop this grown man from beating up a boy named eric- eric keep running away and living a homeless lifestyle- he would come back every so often to shower and eat food. he and john had a big fight- looked like john was going to kill him. i got in the way, and so he pushes me down to the ground, and kicks me in the face. why they didn't arrest him i don't know..peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine57 View Post
Yes it was Nicky not Chris don't know how I got Chris anyway I used to hang around with Anna Lopez and Rosita and Aida gonzalez Also a girl named Milagros known as Millie who married Larry Byrnes. There were other people who were a bit older I used to be a cheerleader for the basketball team. So many many wonderful memories and so many good people who truly helped me to become a better person today. I cant remember the name of some of the counselors there but I remember a few of them were old homies themselves. Iremember a guy named Blair who had a sister there as well can't remember her name. I used to work in the administrative office on the switchboard for a short time.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidanderson76 View Post
Wow, I found this site completely by accident and am glad that I did. I was in St. Joseph's for approximately 5 years, from ages 7-12, from 1968-1973. I also attended Oakside Elementary School on 200 Decatur Avenue in Peekskill. I was wondering if anyone out there was at St. Joseph's during that time or attended Oakside and remembers any of the counselors, nuns, social workers teachers or kids. Two staff member's names stick out for me; Scott Knapp and Ms. Maikish. I was also on the St Joe's swim team and recall competing against the Kennedy Home frequently. If anyone has pics from that era please post them. I look forward to hearing from you.

Peace.
I was a counselor from about '72 - '78 and can't seem to contact others during this period...Scott was my supervisor as I began working with 'baby girls' . I later worked with Group 2 Boys and Group 2 Girls and finally in one of the girls cottages. Do you remember Bruce Murden the art teacher or Miss Laura the music instructor? Or Mrs Whittamore a social worker? Would love to hear more...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,683 times
Hi, my father brought me and my 3 brothers to the Lt. Joseph P. Kennedy home in the Bronx/Stillwell avenue in June 1963. I was there for 3 years and my brothers were there for 5 years, I think. We are all well and have many stories to tell. if you are interested in talking to me post your comment.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 12,683 times
Default Stillwell Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ferguson View Post
Hey bronxboy-when were you in St. Joseph's in Peekskill>? I was there in 1965-1967. Give me a shout out-I'm trying to gather names of the children and possibly do a documentry. Let me know ASAP, Lisa
I was there from 1963 -1967 and my 3 brothers were there longer (I think a total of 5 years). Interested in talking to me? Acutally it was the home in the Bronx on Stillwell Avenue.

Last edited by Texastea2009; 02-19-2009 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: adding more comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search