Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,686 times

Advertisements

Thanks to City Data, PEOPLE SEARCH, we have now reunited with a first cousin and her children. This cousin and her brother were "lost" to the family more than 45 years ago.

My mother came from a family of 11 children. Those 11 children have a total of 28 children between them. This means that my sister and I have a total of 26 1st cousins!

In the early 1960's, my mother's youngest sister became very ill and lost custody of her two toddlers. One of my aunts briefly saw the children when they were about 5 and 8 years old. For 45 years after that, my mother and her other siblings lost track of those kids.

After many years of trying every way imaginable, the family had just about despaired of ever locating these two family members. My mother and her sisters spoke of these children many times over the years and fervently wished to locate them. One by one, my mother's siblings have passed away so that she is the only one remaining. In 2011, my mother tried going through the Social Security Administration as one last attempt to find her sister's two children. That wasn't successful either, and she was resigned to the fact she would never know what happend to her little niece and nephew.

On 2/29/2008 I had come across the PEOPLE SEARCH forum on City Data, and posted a thread. On 11/19/2011 I finally got a reply from my cousin's daughter. She was as surprised to find the thread as I was to finally get a response to it! She had absolutely NO idea that she had so much family, much less that we had been seaching for her for decades. By Googling her grandmother's name (which was listed in my original thread), the City Data thread I had posted in 2008 came up in her Google search. That's how she managed to find the People Search thread.

A Family Reunion was immediately planned for February 2012. Thirty-two of us met at two rented beach houses in Topsail Beach, NC. Cousins flew in from Texas, California and Missouri. We spent 4 days together, getting to know our newly found 1st cousin, her two beautiful daughters, and 5 of her grandchildren. (Her brother is ill and could not attend). Because the family is so large and spread out, many of us hadn't seen each other in 30 years or so and were practically strangers too. Some of my 1st cousins have children, now in their 20's, whom I had never met!

Everyone of us had the best time imaginable, treasuring every second of this precious reunion. It was an absolutely magically experience, made possible by City Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Congratulations on your good fortune!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
Thanks to City Data, PEOPLE SEARCH, we have now reunited with a first cousin and her children. This cousin and her brother were "lost" to the family more than 45 years ago.

My mother came from a family of 11 children. Those 11 children have a total of 28 children between them. This means that my sister and I have a total of 26 1st cousins!

In the early 1960's, my mother's youngest sister became very ill and lost custody of her two toddlers. One of my aunts briefly saw the children when they were about 5 and 8 years old. For 45 years after that, my mother and her other siblings lost track of those kids.

After many years of trying every way imaginable, the family had just about despaired of ever locating these two family members. My mother and her sisters spoke of these children many times over the years and fervently wished to locate them. One by one, my mother's siblings have passed away so that she is the only one remaining. In 2011, my mother tried going through the Social Security Administration as one last attempt to find her sister's two children. That wasn't successful either, and she was resigned to the fact she would never know what happend to her little niece and nephew.

On 2/29/2008 I had come across the PEOPLE SEARCH forum on City Data, and posted a thread. On 11/19/2011 I finally got a reply from my cousin's daughter. She was as surprised to find the thread as I was to finally get a response to it! She had absolutely NO idea that she had so much family, much less that we had been seaching for her for decades. By Googling her grandmother's name (which was listed in my original thread), the City Data thread I had posted in 2008 came up in her Google search. That's how she managed to find the People Search thread.

A Family Reunion was immediately planned for February 2012. Thirty-two of us met at two rented beach houses in Topsail Beach, NC. Cousins flew in from Texas, California and Missouri. We spent 4 days together, getting to know our newly found 1st cousin, her two beautiful daughters, and 5 of her grandchildren. (Her brother is ill and could not attend). Because the family is so large and spread out, many of us hadn't seen each other in 30 years or so and were practically strangers too. Some of my 1st cousins have children, now in their 20's, whom I had never met!

Everyone of us had the best time imaginable, treasuring every second of this precious reunion. It was an absolutely magically experience, made possible by City Data.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
It's so heartwarming to hear a success story like yours! Congratulations. My late step-father had a son but his ex-wife took the boy and moved away. Her family absolutely refused to give him any information. He searched for the boy for years, but was never able to locate him before he passed away. If only there had been a City Data for him.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,979 times
Thanks for posting! I'm happy to hear this!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Congratulations and may the happiness of you and your family continue! Such a great story.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM

1,724 posts, read 2,492,570 times
Great news.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile So happy for you!!

It brought tears to my eyes!!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
So happy for you...from a fellow Caryite!!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,735 times
Congratulations and what a beautiful heartwarming story!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
WOW!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search