Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

He was my g-g-grandfather. He lived a long life so there are many records of his to be found.

He was born in Virginia with family members in Goochland, Louisa and Spotsylvania Counties.

He married Susan Woodson in 1854 in Virginia.

In the Civil War he served in the 6th Virginia Cavalry.
After the war he moved to City of Richmond with wife and large family.

James Quarles Dickinson, one of his sons, is my g-grandfather.

Robert Q Dickinson is listed in almost every Census from 1830-1910. In 1910 he was listed as living with his older brother John Powell Dickinson at Shannon Hill Virginia

RQD died in St. Louis, MO in 1914 where he was living with two of his daughters Emma and Louisa and Milton Hubbard the widower of his other daughter Alice Dabney and their five children.

His Missouri death certificate states that his daughter Emma Dickinson will be returning the body via train to Louisa Virginia. But no cemetery.

And that's where the trail ends.
Where is Robert Quarles Dickinson buried?

Two cousins and I have looked for years to find his grave. We're in our 70s, 80s and we're probably the last ones who will try this hard to find him.

We've looked into findagrave, Ancestry, Louisa County Historical Society records, Goochland County courthouse records, Richmond city directories, Hollywood, Shockoe and Riverview cemeteries in Richmond VA, LDS data base, and more.

Lots of info here and lots more I haven't included as this is a lot to take in for one post.

Hoping someone will recognize one of the names, dates, cities mentioned and have some information.

Thanks
RubyandPearl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Do you know in which cemetery his wife Susan is resting?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I think he'd either have been buried with the rest of his family in Riverview cemetery at Richmond or the National Cemetery at Richmond because his was veteran of the Confederacy.
I looked at the photo of wife Susan's headstone at Riverview in the grass & it does not appear to have been a standing one...but if it is, his marker could be on the back.
Check with the Louisa library to see if they have a newspaper archive of bound small local papers and if there's an obituary & a burial notice for him in 1914.
Try to find the funeral homes that were in existence in 1914 & see if his burial is in their archives. Sometimes records are held by local genealogical society or the state historical or genealogical society, or by the existing funeral home.
The cemetery had internment records even if there were no markers. I would see what Riverview has for that F plot that the rest of family is buried in. Sometimes findagrave info is from people walking the cemetery & photographing markers, not transcribing the old written record.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Do you know in which cemetery his wife Susan is resting?
She is buried in Richmond

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...usan-dickinson

6 children are listed on her page, but no husband

Also the St Louis Public Library Obit Index at
https://cdm17210.contentdm.oclc.org/...73569/rec/1697
has a cryptic entry indicating that RQD may have been buried in/near St Louis.

Last edited by reed303; 10-16-2019 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
She is buried in Richmond

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...usan-dickinson

6 children are listed on her page, but no husband

Also the St Louis Public Library Obit Index at
https://cdm17210.contentdm.oclc.org/...73569/rec/1697
has a cryptic entry indicating that RQD may have been buried in/near St Louis.

Here is what that page has. Try finding out if the burial permit was issued in St. Louis.

Name Dickinson, R. Q.
Year 1914
Publisher St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Month, Day & Page (Burial permit) 7/6 p17
Request an Obit Email obits@slpl.org

According to the St. Louis Library website, it looks like burial permits stop in 1908. I wonder if the burial permit is from another location?

Try calling the St. Louis Library and inquire about burial permits from 1914.
314-994-3300

Or, the St. Louis Genealogical Society
314-647-8547

Last edited by daliowa; 10-17-2019 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,637,449 times
Oh my goodness y'all are impressive!

What great suggestions, will pursue them all, thank you so much.

The plot at Riverview Cemetery has numerous Dickinson graves, have checked records in the Cemetery office, all are listed there but no RQD.

Odd that he's not buried by his wife. Susan died in 1894 at the Leigh Street hospice in Richmond of "cancer of the womb" as her death certificate states.

The Confederate section in Hollywood (right next door) around the Dimock pyramid monument might be a possibility. However Hollywood records are incomplete and most remains are from Gettysburg. RQD as an older man, joined in late '64 so unlikely to be there.

Oakwood Cemetery has a large Confederate section and burial was free for veterans but again records are sketchy, stones have been removed and those that remain are merely numbers, not names.

Will try Louisa Co Library, funeral homes in Louisa and Richmond, the Louisa County newspaper goes back to the 1800s so is also a good suggestion.

Any other ideas most welcome!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Oh my goodness y'all are impressive!

What great suggestions, will pursue them all, thank you so much.

The plot at Riverview Cemetery has numerous Dickinson graves, have checked records in the Cemetery office, all are listed there but no RQD.

Odd that he's not buried by his wife. Susan died in 1894 at the Leigh Street hospice in Richmond of "cancer of the womb" as her death certificate states.

The Confederate section in Hollywood (right next door) around the Dimock pyramid monument might be a possibility. However Hollywood records are incomplete and most remains are from Gettysburg. RQD as an older man, joined in late '64 so unlikely to be there.

Oakwood Cemetery has a large Confederate section and burial was free for veterans but again records are sketchy, stones have been removed and those that remain are merely numbers, not names.

Will try Louisa Co Library, funeral homes in Louisa and Richmond, the Louisa County newspaper goes back to the 1800s so is also a good suggestion.

Any other ideas most welcome!
It's possible it was cost prohibitive to ship his body home & he was buried in St Louis....did he have in-laws buried in St Louis?

In some parts of the country cemeteries were catalogued as WPA projects durimg the Depression. I have seen burial markers listed on these that didn't make later lists. Sometimes markers were removed for repair & not returned or stolen or sunken & covered by grass or were wooden temporary type markers. The WPA lists I used were located at a state historical society.

Did he belong to any fraternal organizations like Masons? Freemason burial rites &/or news of member deaths were recorded in local lodge archives.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 440 times
A few years late to the discussion!

My wife and I recently purchase a property in Western Goochland county. I am in the process of tracing back to find historic owners of the property.

I have traced it back to a John P. Dickinson, who left it to his daughters
Elizabeth and Mollie after his death in 1914.

There is a cemetery on my neighbors property (which at the time was owned by John). The grave sites are marked but there is no clear identification markings. Maybe there is a chance both John and Robert are buried in the cemetery (likely a family cemetery), if in fact it is the same John P. Dickinson

Old 02-29-2024, 09:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleason05 View Post
A few years late to the discussion!

My wife and I recently purchase a property in Western Goochland county. I am in the process of tracing back to find historic owners of the property.

I have traced it back to a John P. Dickinson, who left it to his daughters
Elizabeth and Mollie after his death in 1914.

There is a cemetery on my neighbors property (which at the time was owned by John). The grave sites are marked but there is no clear identification markings. Maybe there is a chance both John and Robert are buried in the cemetery (likely a family cemetery), if in fact it is the same John P. Dickinson
My Quarles ancestor Tunstall Quarles came out of Goochland County Virginia in the late 1700s to Woodford County Kentucky. I would be interested in learning of any information you might discover related to any Quarles graves on your or your neighbor’s properties.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:12 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
My Quarles ancestor Tunstall Quarles came out of Goochland County Virginia in the late 1700s to Woodford County Kentucky. I would be interested in learning of any information you might discover related to any Quarles graves on your or your neighbor’s properties.
From the first post Quarles is the persons middle name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search