Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 28,403 times

Advertisements

what would be the most common newspaper in the area of booth mem. flushing ny .. or just ny city area.. to post a request for '' our '' birth mother in if i ran the ad.. w/ hopes others would join me.to post their info also...i was born 27 may 1965 at booth memorial ..queens / flushing ny adopted out thru spence chapin .. maybe some one that could really help us would read it.. better yet our birth mother..or even oprah or dr phil seen we have wants cause we feel '' blank '' of our past & can't even answer questions for our children of their ancestors..i have emailed a request to the 2 tv shows... never no answer...i feel like holding a sign up in the back ground of that tv show called good morning america ? where they talk & thru the window a crowd is seen....anyone w/ any other '' bright '' ideas ?? please contact me personally on my own email ..happytrails47a@yahoo.com...put adoption in the subject box so i'll know it's not junk mail.. thank you.... heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 14,194 times
Default Also a Booth - Spence baby

I was born at Booth on 26 May 1958 and adopted through Spence.

In reading about your plans to post an ad, you should know that it may be that your b/moms came from other parts of the state/country in order to have their babies at Booth. My own b/mom was from Highland in Ulster County.

Yes, I found. Please know that if you're born in any of the 5 boros of NYC (and Queens is one), you can find your birthname in the NYC Birth Index book, which can be found at the main branch of the NYC public library (and also on microfiche via the LDS).

It lists birth name, DOB, sex, boro, and birth certificate number. While you may not know your birth name, your BC number does NOT change when the BC is amended.

It took me several weeks of visits to find mine, but find it I did. Then, using the non-id info Spence provided, I was able to slowly piece together bits of info. With the use of the Internet, my 19 year search was resolved in just 3 months online.

I've helped other people successfully search over the years and am happy to assist with tips, ideas, whatever knowlege I've acquired over the years.
I'm not in NYC so cannot do any visits or legwork. But I can talk you through it.

Laura
CMCLaura@aol.com

Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,185 times
Default another Spence Chapin adoptee seeks birth family

I tried to register with the NY Adoption Registry and was sent a refund with a letter saying that Spence Chapin handled my adoption and that the files are sealed. I then called Spence Chapin and was told that they have no record of my adoption. According to the records I have, I was born 8-25-1965 and adopted in upstate NY. It says that my father was from USNA, 25 years old and english. Mother is listed as 18 years old, having just graduated high school, 5'7" with light brown hair and blue eyes, poised and attractive, both are listed as intelligent. I have looked for information over the years but have not had any success. If this sounds familiar to anyone I would love to know my family history and heritage. I am female, currently in medical school in Oregon and fit the descriptions of my parents except I have green eyes.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmclaura View Post
I was born at Booth on 26 May 1958 and adopted through Spence.

In reading about your plans to post an ad, you should know that it may be that your b/moms came from other parts of the state/country in order to have their babies at Booth. My own b/mom was from Highland in Ulster County.

Yes, I found. Please know that if you're born in any of the 5 boros of NYC (and Queens is one), you can find your birthname in the NYC Birth Index book, which can be found at the main branch of the NYC public library (and also on microfiche via the LDS).

It lists birth name, DOB, sex, boro, and birth certificate number. While you may not know your birth name, your BC number does NOT change when the BC is amended.

It took me several weeks of visits to find mine, but find it I did. Then, using the non-id info Spence provided, I was able to slowly piece together bits of info. With the use of the Internet, my 19 year search was resolved in just 3 months online.

I've helped other people successfully search over the years and am happy to assist with tips, ideas, whatever knowlege I've acquired over the years.
I'm not in NYC so cannot do any visits or legwork. But I can talk you through it.

Laura
CMCLaura@aol.com
Great post. Very informative.

Are any of you registered with the reunion site?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
I am looking for a sibling born in Manhattan April 1963, female. Anyone fit that?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,005 times
Hi there,

I am trying to help my sister find her birth mother. She was born in April of 1966; she and I both were adopted through Spence Chapin into the same family. I found my mother 22 years ago very easily. I was born in 67. Both my sister and I had our last name left on our official birth certificates. My name happened to be a rare spelling and I merely searched the white pages from that year and called all six names. My sister's original last name Hart is not such a rare spelling and so this will take longer. I've noticed that there are a lot of folks using this site that have been adopted through Spence Chapin. We should form our own group. Both my sister Kelly and I have very successful careers; I have dedicated my life to children in education. Hope to hear your thoughts about forming a group from Spence Chapin. There is power in numbers and information sharing.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM

I am trying to help my sister Kelly find her birth mother. She and I were adopted through Spence Chapin in the late 60's, maybe early 70's. Kelly was born on April 19, 1966 and I was born on March 5, 1967. I successfully found my mother 22 years ago because both Kelly and I had our original last names left on our birth certificates. My name had a rare spelling and therefore I easily searched the 1967 white pages in the county of my birth and called and visited all six locations. A relative called me back and said, "we've been looking for you for 20 years". My sister's original last name Hart is not such a unique spelling and therefore, this will take more time. I wonder if you are interested in forming a group on this service of Spence Chapin "survivors". It would be helpful to share information about successes and dead ends in our searches for our mothers. Kelly and I have lived happy and prosperous lives; I'm just trying to help her close the loop that I easily managed to a long time ago (I literally had my answers once I contacted folks in two days). Thanks in advance for your attention and assistance.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM

My sister and I were adopted through Spence Chapin in the late 60's early 70's. I found my birth mother 22 years ago, but Kelly, my sister is just beginning her search. Our last names were left on our original birth certificates as well as where we were born. I have replied to several Spence Chapin adoptees on this site tonight. I think we should form a group and share helpful strategies. It was very east for me to find my mother as her name had a fairly rare spelling. Please let me know what obstacles you have encountered as I would love to share them with my sister. Thanks.

conniegeorge

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Hello, my name is Connie and I also found my birth mother after being adopted through Spence Chapin. I was 21 at the time and now in my forties. My sister, Kelly has begun her search this past week and I would like to help her. Can you email me at connievelyn1@aol.com. She knows her original last name and the hospital where she was born. I am interested in helping her piece this together. It was much easier for me as my original last name had an unusual spelling and was also left on my birth certificate. Her last name is Hart and there are seemingly thousands of them. There were only six people with last names spelled like mine in the 1967 brooklyn white pages. Both Kelly and I are happy, healthy, successful women with families. I just know she needs to close this loop. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Hey guys- someone started a group on facebook - here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search