Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

I was trying to check and see how close I was to qualifying for a mortgage to purchase a second home.

On the phone with a lender, I let him convince me that mortgage credit inquiries were different than regular inquiries. He did a whole big song and dance about how they are like soft inquiries, and don't hurt credit. After me stating that I didn't believe him, he said, "You can check what I am saying on myfico.com"

Well, my idiot self, against my better knowledge, decided to believe him. I let him run my credit.

So, today, my credit dropped 9 points when the inquiry showed up.

I did give him permission, so it's a legit inquiry. But he lied and deceived me to get my permission.

Do I have any hope of getting this removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
How many enquires have you had in the last few months ?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 PM

This would be the 5th in 6 months. I'm generally very good with credit. Still have a score in the upper 700s. I purchased a car for my husband, and leased a car for myself. Then we moved, so I have the lease/rental credit check, and the electrical company check. This makes the 5th one.

I have no other inquiries in the last 2 years. They just came in a rash all at once.

I'm just incredulous that the lender was deceitful and that I fell for it. I can't believe I fell for it. I know better. I know what affects credit. He was just so convincing. It's not even the 9 points as much as it is the point of the matter itself. And in about 6 months when I am ready to actually buy, it'll make 6 inquiries in a year. Urgh~

Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Question is... does it even matter? Did it affect your interest rates? Did it do anything? a 790 to a 781 is nothing... scores fluctuate all the time even without anything happening... my score swings +/- 15 points for nothing other than paying my bills on time...

Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Sorry... Not upper 700s, mid. It went from 745 to 736. Some use 740 as a threshold for the best interest rates. And it does matter, to me.

They were deceitful and it caused harm. That is not OK just because the harm was small. It is very hard to get a credit score to go up. It could take a year or more for the score to float back up to 745.

Is it gonna cause me to get denied a mortgage? No. But to me, that's not the point.

The point is that he told me 3 times that he was running a different kind of inquiry that would not harm my score.

My question is, in the opinions of the posters here, do I have hope of getting this removed? If I send letter to Equifax, Transunion, Experien, will it get removed? or am I wasting my time since I actually gave him permission.

I've heard inquiries are harder to remove than negative information.

As far as for scores fluctuating, mine dropped from 760+ to 745 after purchasing and leasing the two cars. Since then, it has been perfectly steady. I check it like once a week. It dropped the day the 5th inquiry was reported. Mine doesn't fluctuate much, generally.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:31 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,474 times
If I get my own credit rating does it change my score? If I get from all 3 credit rating companies??? didn't know about this!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM

No. That truly is a soft request. I check mine about once a week, have for years, never even shows as an inquiry.

In fact, you sometimes have dozens of inquiries from people who already have issued you credit. They check all the time to see if you are going nuts with other credit cards. They make decisions like raising or lowering your interest or limits by doing this. Those don't count either, since you aren't giving permission for it.

That's what got me to believe him. He used the term, "Soft" and there is such a thing as a soft inquiry.

You are legally entitled to each of the three credit reports, for free, once a year. It doesn't harm your credit. However, I think they will charge you extra for the score.

Checking your own is fine!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
I've never heard of a mortgage credit inquiry as anything other than a hard hit on your report. The guy was unethical for sure but ultimately you allowed him to run your credit.

You could dispute it with the credit agency and say you did not give them permission to do a "hard inquiry" on your report, which is the truth if the dialog with the lender was as you say.

I would dispute it online and see what happens. Good luck. I hope you get it off there.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Cleasach- I like your logic. Yeah... good thing he didn't try to sell me Ocean Front Property in Arizona with that mortgage!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Well at least he didnt run it 18 times! When we were looking to purchase a house our realtor set us up with her "best" mortgage guy. I didnt like him but we decided to let him look into getting us a mortgage. It took forever to get a pre approval and after a month we told him to forget it. I found my own mortgage person, was pre approved within a few hours and we were off house hunting. We closed on our house and a few months later decided to buy a car. Our FICO score dropped a 100 points. I thought for sure we were victims of credit fraud. I pulled up our reports and was stunned by all the hard inquires. Most of them counts as one inquiry but according to Transunion they are viewing it as 18. So there is a significant difference in our FICO between Equifax and Transunion. Either way it hurt our credit badly. That was over a year ago and it will be dropping off soon (it takes 2 yrs). This has never happened to us before and now I am very cautious on who I give permission too. Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance