Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times

Advertisements

First, I hope this is in the right area. I didn't know where to post this.

Second, for anyone who has moved out state, how have you worked on opening a new bank account? I'd prefer not to get a basic Wachovia or BOA just to make the transfer. If I don't have to, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I use credit unions.
I've done this several times. There was never any problem when I opened accounts - even with out of state drivers licenses.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Do you like your current bank? Its website/fees? Then keep it. (Ive been 'out of state' banking with my old bank for 20 yrs) Do what I need thru website/phone/mail. ATM's are on national free next work of thousands.

How to open a account, Research what 'local' banks are in your area, fees, locations, hours, services. Pick one. Walk in and tell them you would like to open a account. They will open it for you. After all you checks. EFT, auto drafts are moved to new bank, Call your old bank and ask them to close off your account (they will probably need it in writing) and they will mail you a check.
If your address change with your old bank is not been there system long, they might want to have your request to close it done with a signature guaranteed from your new bank to prevent fraud (Stranger closing your account).

Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 AM

I guess I should've been more clear. Do you open it from your old home before you move, wait til you get there? Then you have to worry about moving your funds to your new bank.

I do like the bank I have now, and they are not where I want to move. They are New England based.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,243 times
It's just like opening a new account in your current area. I'd wait until you get there. They will want to see your ID and have you sign a signature card.

Deposit just enough to opet the account. You'll need to wait until all the charges clear your old account then close it. They'll send you a check for the remaining balance that you can deposit in your new account.

It will also take up to 10 days to get your new debit card and checks if you want them. You'll probably need to keep using your old account during this time so you have convenient access to your funds. To the point above, it might be a good idea to tell the bank before you leave that you will be moving your account.

Lastly even IF you were to keep the same bank, they would require you open a new account at your new location. Because of banking laws, they can't just transfer the account over.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
One question is when were you physical inside/at of your New England bank last? Most banking is done online now, I have not be in a bank in 10?+ years. I do my banking online, I;m in Georgia, my Bank is in NJ, and Calf. Never been in the Calf one, last time i was in the NJ one was 10-15 yrs ago.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Unfortunately, my current job does not offer direct deposit so I am in the bank every week.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I also recommend a credit union. Research out what credit unions are in the area that you're moving too. You can also check out their opinions on Yelp!.com, to see what other people think of them. You should be able to open one online from out of town, and they will send you the paperwork to sign and send back to them. I've done this myself.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I avoid "big" banks at any cost. Look for Credit unions, or a small local bank. Even several of the "big" banks are now, apparently, on the brink of being gobbled up by "bigger" banks.

I liked my old bank (in the previous state of residence), so I just continued to bank with them, and have my SS auto-deposited there, and use it for all checks and on-line transactions. They know my voice when I call them on the phone, which costs me 2c a minute. After I moved, I opened an account at a local bank, which I use only for things like cashing checks that I get in the mail. Its a branch in the supermarket, and I wave to the branch manager every time I walk by.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 PM

38,874 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I use credit unions.
I've done this several times. There was never any problem when I opened accounts - even with out of state drivers licenses.
So Charles, you're back here in California now? No longer in Alabama? Just couldn't stay away, huh?

I would think that since most credit unions are local to a given geographic region, that they would require someone opening a new account to have a current local driver's license. But based on your experience, it seems that's not necessarily the case. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance