Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
From the article
"I confirmed this about a year ago with representatives from both MC & Visa"

"What that signature really means
The card companies remind customers that the signature panel isn't just for verifying the signature. It's also used to validate the contract you have with the credit card company. By signing, you confirm that you agree to their terms. And even though you may choose not to sign the card but use it anyway, you still are bound to the terms and agreements set forth by the issuer."

Also from the article

"A solution offered to the extra-cautious: Sign the card AND write "See ID" on the signature panel."

Having both on the card could benefit should your purse or wallet be stolen. The "thief" may see both and decide using the card when it has a signature & the check ID may not be worth the risk and they would instead use a card they took with no signature signing the back themselves to try and avoid the non-signed card ask for ID situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
Question for those of you who don't sign your cards

Just curious

What is your reason behind not signing ?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Why wouldn't you sign the card? It gives little protection, but it's better than nothing.

In Europe, they seem to use PINs on their credit cards. I think we should go to that system, so that it's physically impossible to charge without some form of identification. That way, we're not relying on clerks who make minimum wage to prevent fraud.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times
This is ridiculous advice. If someone is serious about getting to your money, they can easily have a fake ID created (its not very hard - ask any bartender). Store clerks (usually) have zero training on recognizing forged IDs.

As I said above - if someone wants your card info, they'll get it.[/quote]

They can't duplicate a picture.
It isn't ridiculous, that advice has been around for many a year and
has worked very well.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Yes, the reason for not signing is to compel them to make an additional effort to verify a suspect card. If my card is lost or stolen, I don't want a salesclerk to just glance at the signature line and see if there is something there, as a guarantee of authenticity.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is ridiculous advice. If someone is serious about getting to your money, they can easily have a fake ID created (its not very hard - ask any bartender). Store clerks (usually) have zero training on recognizing forged IDs.

As I said above - if someone wants your card info, they'll get it.

has worked very well.[/quote]

Why would the picture need to be accurate? One could easily replicate an ID with the correct name and their picture and go to town with your card.

Unless there is a photo on the card itself, like some B of A cards.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
nope, shouldn't sign them........
write on them SEE ID.

Never sign the back of a card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, the reason for not signing is to compel them to make an additional effort to verify a suspect card. If my card is lost or stolen, I don't want a salesclerk to just glance at the signature line and see if there is something there, as a guarantee of authenticity.
This is 100% accurate, excellent advice......
-
-
-
-
-
for 1985.

However, this is 2010 and more often than not your credit card never leaves your hand; you just swipe it yourself at the point of sale. In fact, other than in restaurants or bars, I can't even remember the last time I handed my card to a cashier or a sales clerk.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
[/b]

has worked very well.
Why would the picture need to be accurate? One could easily replicate an ID with the correct name and their picture and go to town with your card.

Unless there is a photo on the card itself, like some B of A cards.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk[/quote]

A picture would need to be accurate in order to match the face of the person handing over the card...

Old 10-16-2010, 02:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
A picture would need to be accurate in order to match the face of the person handing over the card...

You're totally missing the point.

Consider this:

Your card says "see id" on the back. Someone steals your wallet (purse?)...... takes out your credit cards. (S)He then proceeds to make a fake id, with YOUR name, and THEIR photo. (which, is NOT difficult).

They then go to town with "YOUR" ID and YOUR credit cards.

or this:

Your card has your signature on the back. Someone steals your wallet (purse?)...... takes out your credit cards. (S)He then proceeds to make a fake id, with YOUR name, and THEIR photo AND your matching signature. (which, is NOT difficult).

They then go to town with "YOUR" ID and YOUR credit cards.

Of course, the ID doesn't need to be all that accurate, because the sales clerk will take a 1 second look at the photo and clear the sale.

Now: when you signed the back of your card, they had to fake 2 things: the ID and your signature. Writing "see id" on the back - they only had to fake one simple ID.

Now, if you want to argue about how easy it is to fake an ID, ask any 16 year old kid in small-town america. Not very hard. Especially when the $9 per hour sales clerk is only REALLY concerned with making it through their shift, not stopping identity theft.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwaK View Post
Question for those of you who don't sign your cards

Just curious

What is your reason behind not signing ?
no reason - just out of habit. Get the new cards in the mail, activate them, and put them in my wallet. In fact, my AmEX card doesnt' even have a signature box.

Also, as others have indicated, you rarely even hand the card over now. You simply swipe them and then sign the PoS pad - and most places don't even need a signature anymore.

I think if it makes you feel more comfortable, sign it. However, from a practical stand point, I don't think it matter a whole lot either way unless you shop at the few merchants that actually enforce the signatures - then its simply less hassle to just sign it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance