Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Shortly after I was born (I'm 28 now) my parents set me up with a COD Account. The account has long since matured and renews every three months.

I currently have a shade under $2,700 in the account, and it has a very low interest rate (0.1%) I was laid off last year from a financial services position, and currently work in retail part time and collect partial unemployment benefits as I search for full time work. As a result my income is going to be quite low this year.

So my question is this. Should I take the $$$ out of my COD account now since my income and therefore tax rate is likely going to be quite a bit lower this year than in the future? Or should I just keep the $$$ in the account?

The extra $$$ in my checking or savings account really isn't the issue. I would still be fine financially without it. I'm just wondering if it would make more sense taking it out during a year I have a lower income as opposed to leaving it and perhaps having a bigger hit down the road due to higher income levels I will have when I find something full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If you are seriously worried about the tax consequences of $2700 you need to get some fresh air...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are seriously worried about the tax consequences of $2700 you need to get some fresh air...
I'm not worried about the consequences, I was just wondering what makes more sense, take it out this year or just leave it as is.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
If uou don't need the money it would make more sense to renew it into a longer term CD.
The interest rate right now still won't make you dream of future wealth but will be better than the lowest rate on a 3 month account.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
If you truly have a Certificate of Deposit, the taxes on the interest earned has been due each year as it's been earned. CDs are not like stocks. You don't invest a principal and then owe taxes on gains only when you cash out. Interest on CDs are to be included in your taxes the year that they are owned.

Therefore, even with an interest rate of 1%, on $2700 you would have an extra $27 of income for 2010. With .1%, you're looking at less than $3. Take the money out and see if you can get a slightly better rate somewhere else.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm just wondering if it would make more sense taking it out during a year I have a lower income as opposed to leaving it and perhaps having a bigger hit down the road due to higher income levels I will have when I find something full time.
There IS no "bigger hit" on CDs....
you should have been paying tax yearly on the interest, just as Mike From NIUsaid.

I'd pull it on the next maturity date, and put it somewhere else.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Take it out as cash and hide it in your house someplace. The interest it will pay is 1% and there is more than a 1% chance that the entire banking system will collapse and FDIC will be insolvent, and you will be left with nothing. So play the odds and hide it in a shoe. Not to mention the fact that if you have it in cash, the busybodies won't know what you've got, and can't tax it or confiscate it or penalize you for having it. Or take it to a coin dealer and buy a couple of Krugerrands, which might still have purchasing power in a smoldering post-apocalyptic landscape, which is also a >1% risk. The price of gold will never go to zero, and some day, that might be all you've got that is of any value. A small part of everyone's wealth ought to be in that form, just in case.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Take it out as cash and hide it in your house someplace. The interest it will pay is 1% and there is more than a 1% chance that the entire banking system will collapse and FDIC will be insolvent, and you will be left with nothing. So play the odds and hide it in a shoe. Not to mention the fact that if you have it in cash, the busybodies won't know what you've got, and can't tax it or confiscate it or penalize you for having it. Or take it to a coin dealer and buy a couple of Krugerrands, which might still have purchasing power in a smoldering post-apocalyptic landscape, which is also a >1% risk. The price of gold will never go to zero, and some day, that might be all you've got that is of any value. A small part of everyone's wealth ought to be in that form, just in case.

Well, I could try to rebut so much of this, but when dealing with doomsayers, sometimes it's enough to quote Monty Python: "And now for something completely different."

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Dang .1%? Stick it in a savings account no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance