Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
US bank is in yucaipa, ca & about 4 miles from here. I talked to a rep today & they have totally free checking/savings. ...
US BANK sounds like my best bet.
US Bank has been very good to me (I only use for business accounts).

Credit Unions get 90% of my banking business, and I don't expect that to decrease. There are some pretty good credit unions, but not all do business accts.

I LIKE credit unions cuz I"M an OWNER, and they are operated for the benefit of their OWNER / MEMBERS. They will be improving their services even more than now. (I can deposit my checks via my scanner and an email to my CU) Hint: US BANK offers this too.

Chase will be losing 4 of my accts next week (so I can keep statements annualized), and I'll NEVER get another 1099 from Chase after 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I have never had an account ( checking ) that is not free. I have been a customer with WaMu back in early 2000. Currently I have a checking with BOFA, US-Bank and USAA. They are all free.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
I always read about doing business with credit unions, but how do I do that here in the Fort Lee area of northern NJ?

Whatever I see is that I have to be affiliated with a company and such to get in.

Is there one that the general public can get in?

Just can't seem to locate one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I've been getting "TONS" of Chase postal mail in the past 4 months pertaining to their pre-approved credit cards.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
US Bank hasn't started their "Deposit Point" program yet. It'll really be nice not to have to stand in line at the bank, and just deposit it from home with my scanner. But Direct Deposit is better.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
As soon as Chase bought WaMu here in California, I knew they would do this. They're a pack of wolverines. I bailed right away to US Bank.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I always read about doing business with credit unions, but how do I do that here in the Fort Lee area of northern NJ?

Whatever I see is that I have to be affiliated with a company and such to get in.

Is there one that the general public can get in?

Just can't seem to locate one.
The easiest one to join there is probably Paragon Federal Credit Union. Their membership is open to

Quote:
Paragon membership is open to all individuals who live, work, worship or attend school in Bergen or Passaic counties, as well as parts of Essex, Hudson and Union counties in New Jersey and parts of Rockland County in New York as well as parts of Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton in Pennsylvania.
Relatives of members are also eligible for membership. Click here to determine eligibility.
Paragon About Us (http://www.paragonfcu.org/aboutpfcu/aboutus.asp - broken link)

Fort Lee is Bergen County so you are good there.

They are part of the Co-Op ATM network so you can use ATMs in most 7-11s for free.

You should also look at prominent national Credit Unions like Alliant. Most Credit Unions allow you to conduct business in other Credit Unions even if you don't qualify for membership there.

Alliant Credit Union

Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Got the same letter from them as well. Will be closing all of my accounts with Chase. Bye Bye. Will also work on closing my credit card with them as well but that will take a few more months.

I have a direct deposit going into chase savings and yet, based on the new rules, it does not matter since it is not going into checking. Checked with 2 reps and both said nothing can be done. If I need to change my direct deposit number, I will do it but to another bank.

Timing is perfect as keybank was doing a promo here for a free checking and a good $$$ signon bonus. Thanks chase, by leaving you I made $$$ with KeyBank.

Screw Chase.
I'm filling out paperwork for a credit union at this moment after I read this thread...I got that letter, too.

After the past three months of being accosted by men in suits who sit in these newly constructed cubicle farms inside of every Chase bank location here in my city any time I just wanted to make a deposit with a human teller, I'm done.

Also, two weeks ago I went to make a deposit and the teller asked for my driver's license, looked at all my accounts and actually said,"Are these really your accounts?"

I'm keeping my Chase credit card, but otherwise, I'm making movements to change my direct deposit to a new location and finish my transactions with Chase.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
Closed my 3 bank accounts with them! YAY!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
US bank is in yucaipa, ca & about 4 miles from here. I talked to a rep today & they have totally free checking/savings. The first 150 checks are free & their is a 5.00 charge for shipping. To open a account i need 75.00 & no min balance required. I can also mail my checks to them & they have a atm & branches also in banning & redlands, ca.

It will cost me about $1.50 in gas (my car gets 15 mpg) roundtrip each time i go to the yucaipa branch. I can cash my personel check at stater bros up to 50.00.

The chase bank is 1 mile away but im not throwing away 10.00 month. I only make a few deposits a month (sometimes more). It just depends what kind of month im having. So far 2010 has been horrible for me.

US BANK sounds like my best bet.
U.S. Bank is one of the few big banks still offering a no-strings-attached free checking account. According to their website, you only need $50 as an opening deposit. Ever since they took over PFF Bank & Trust, CalNational and Downey Savings, U.S. Bank has increased their presence all over California. Another good thing about U.S. Bank is that their in-store branches (inside Vons, Pavilions and Ralphs) are open 7 days a week, which is VERY convenient for those who regularly conduct business with a teller. Even though I bank with a credit union, U.S. Bank would be the only big bank I'd consider for my personal everyday banking. (I also think they have the best-looking logo of any big bank, but I digress...)

Two other big banks here in California that still offer free checking accounts are Union Bank and Bank of the West, FYI.

Good luck and I hope you'll be happy doing business with U.S. Bank.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
As soon as Chase bought WaMu here in California, I knew they would do this. They're a pack of wolverines. I bailed right away to US Bank.
I left WaMu after being a 20+-year customer with them because:

1) I had 2 instances of identity theft with them, which was a REAL hassle to straighten out; and
2) They began outsourcing their telephone customer service support to the Philippines, and my experiences with them were less than acceptable.

At least U.S. Bank's telephone reps are U.S.-based (to my knowledge), so be thankful you switched to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance