Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 42,862 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I messed up bad and had a lot of NSF charges on my Wells Fargo bank account. Consequently, they closed my account. Recently, I wanted to open a new checking account and because we travel a lot I looked for a bank that had branches in the areas where we travel. WF was about the only one that fit the bill. So I decided to see if they would open a new account. I applied, they opened an account, accepted my deposit, charged my account for their rewards card (which I did agree to), sent me a statement on the statement date. I paid some bills online using the new account. The first two that I paid were cleared and a couple of others had not yet cleared. I went into a branch to make another deposit and the teller said I had to talk to a banker because there was a hold on my account. After waiting for 30 minutes for the banker to get through on the phone to find out what was going on, I took my deposit and left and took the phone number to call myself. When I finally got through after about twenty tries I was told that my account was being closed because of my previous record with them. No notice, nothing. The other payments that I had sent will not be paid because of the hold. Can they refuse those payments when the money is there? When I asked why they allowed me to open the account in the first place and then closed it, they really didn't have an explanation except that they checked further and found the old account that had been closed. Now my money that they accepted as a deposit is tied up until they get around to sending me a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
apparently they can....

Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 46,877 times
Yes, Wells Fargo is terrible at this and they even report your bad account to other banks. I tried opening a new account with a different bank they told me I had to go to Wells Fargo and clear it up. Fortunately, I had another account opened with a different bank. You may want to try the on-line bank accounts.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Go to US Bank. You won't have any problems with opening and keeping an account.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Go to US Bank. You won't have any problems with opening and keeping an account.
That's actually not true. If a person opens an account, screws it up badly and has it closed for cause, it's not in US Banks best interest to open another one. And it's certainly not in their best interest to keep a bad account open.

You'd think it is, since it's racking up NSF fees -- but in reality, if you do that, your account is supposed to be closed. And most banks will report that sort of activity to Chexsystems. So you can't open another account and do it to them.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Yes they can. In fact when I worked in payroll for a large company, I would see where the bank would hold the paycheck deposit until they were sure the account had no more pending charges (i.e. checks written on the account) and would then refund the balance later.

People would send in the letter thinking that we should give them a new paycheck-- I would have to explain-- no, we paid you, the bank is holding the money

Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Any bank can close your account at any time.

If they feel you or anyone is a risk they will shut it down.

The sad part is with this horrific economy we are in it hurts those who have never had any issues and if they mess up down goes their account because of people who are writing checks and have no money in their accounts.

It should not take them long to send you what was left in the account. Go to a branch and ask them to get this taken care of right away and they should push it along.

They should not be holding your money for a long period of time.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM

964 posts, read 3,161,438 times
I never write checks. I only use debit card. But WF is a scheming, lowdown ****hole of a bank. I've been lowballed once with a $100 fee on an account well over the limit, still pissed about that.

I threatened to close my account if they ever charged me with a bs fee again.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM

229 posts, read 573,991 times
A suggestion is to cash the checks at the bank that issues them. and get money orders to pay your bills. Bit of a hassle but better than them stealing your money. You can also get debit cards through wallmart from what I hear. Just get out of WF.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,222 times
What a coincidence...I just closed my account with Wells Fargo because they suck. Find a credit union. ALL of the mega-banks are lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance