Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 AM

95 posts, read 225,174 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm about to move from Germany to the L.A. area soon. First thing I'll need is a bank account. I have found out already that this all is a bit different than here.

I think that I don't want to have anything to do with those checks. My employer will direct deposit my salary and I guess I'll make exclusive use of the pay bill online service as this is the standard we're using here.

Also I'll have to make frequent wire transfers to my German bank account due to some long term comittments. Can you recommend a bank which would serve my needs best?

My research showed so far, that Wells Fargo Custom Mngmt account seems to be the best option. Their int'l wire transfers are the cheapest I found so far with just $15 for repetitive non $US wires. Citibank, Chase, BOA and U.S.Bank are way too expensive regarding this matter. The monthly fee is waived everywhere when receiving a direct deposit, so there's no difference.

Are there any objections against WF? Funnily they have a branch or ATM or something right at the South Bay Pavilion, conventiently right next to my work place :-)

Thanks for any ideas

Just one addition: I have seen that interest on savings seems to be a joke in the U.S. Here I get some 1.7-2.5% APY the least, depending on the market situation. Any idea where to park excess money conveniently?

Last edited by 8bravo; 01-29-2011 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
If you're satisfied with WF's price structure, then go for it. I don't think you'll get much better than that.

Then open an online savings account with ING Direct or American Express Personal Savings, even now they're returning over 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance