Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

OP it sounds like you are almost upset or something she is getting this refund back? .

Hey, I bet if you ask, everyone here would LOVE to get $ 10,000 back but many of us may not get any back or end up owing. ( I am getting a smaller amount less than $ 1,000 ) I know there are plenty of families getting back $ 5,000 or more.

Everyone is different.

You still think $ 10,000 is too much ?

Put it this way, if she is lying she will owe the IRS forever trying to pay that back. ( Penalties, interest , garnishments, )

I suspect you don't know all the tax rules . She may have claimed 0 all year so they would take alot. She may have enough standard deductions and credits, the EIC is a huge cash generator.

Okay, maybe she claimed 16 kids ??

Did you ask her how many kids she claimed on her taxes ? If you wish her some trouble, try and find out if she fudged her return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
If you don't care then why make a thread?
Or, why start two?

IRS tax return,how does this happen?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,777 times
Tax time is the time when a lot of people become Pinocchio's.

OP, there's so many reasons why that could occur, but you can't really make that judgment because you don't know anything about their situation.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,656 times
OP, I totally understand why you asked your original question. My brother-in-law made $11/hr in his job last year until he was terminated in September. He did not work the rest of the year and claimed 4 deductions (wife makes money under the table teaching dance and he has two kids). He's getting back $8200. The numbers don't add up. On a side note, I did my own taxes using turbotax and I'm getting back $4400 which is WAY higher than I thought I was going to get. Other friends and family members I have talked to have also been surprised with how much money they are getting back. It's no wonder our country is bankrupt.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,777 times
A lot of people are getting tax breaks and such due to the economy. They're hoping that encourages people to spend and spend some more.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
OP it sounds like you are almost upset or something she is getting this refund back? .

Hey, I bet if you ask, everyone here would LOVE to get $ 10,000 back but many of us may not get any back or end up owing. ( I am getting a smaller amount less than $ 1,000 ) I know there are plenty of families getting back $ 5,000 or more.

Everyone is different.

You still think $ 10,000 is too much ?

Put it this way, if she is lying she will owe the IRS forever trying to pay that back. ( Penalties, interest , garnishments, )

I suspect you don't know all the tax rules . She may have claimed 0 all year so they would take alot. She may have enough standard deductions and credits, the EIC is a huge cash generator.

Okay, maybe she claimed 16 kids ??

Did you ask her how many kids she claimed on her taxes ? If you wish her some trouble, try and find out if she fudged her return.
HOLY CRAP I WAS ASKING A QUESTION I AM NOT UPSET!!!!!! its like no matter how i would have posted or worded this question i would have been judged. i know nothing of how the tax system works. i work i pay taxes i file i get my $1,500 back im happy with that. your right i donk know the tax rules this is why i asked how is this possible. if she claimed 16 kids wouldn't she have to proove thos 16 kids?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfan View Post
OP, I totally understand why you asked your original question. My brother-in-law made $11/hr in his job last year until he was terminated in September. He did not work the rest of the year and claimed 4 deductions (wife makes money under the table teaching dance and he has two kids). He's getting back $8200. The numbers don't add up. On a side note, I did my own taxes using turbotax and I'm getting back $4400 which is WAY higher than I thought I was going to get. Other friends and family members I have talked to have also been surprised with how much money they are getting back. It's no wonder our country is bankrupt.
thank you... i am taking abuse in this friggen board because i asked a question. i did my own taxes also using turbo tax and im happy with the $1,500 im getting back.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
because i originally started it in the wrong place NJ. they suggested i put it here and i did and people just started to answer to it. why are you stalking me?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
It is called EITC. The tax code is full of entitlements. Blame that on whoever president got it all set up and now it's impossible to repeal without committing political suicide on the part of the president, regardless of party affiliation.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM

208 posts, read 819,765 times
Default People lie about money

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Ok was speaking with a friend who has a friend who filed taxes with H&R block,her and her boyfriend are getting $10,000 back each. they live together not married have one child together and she has a child from previous guy. she is on unemployment she claims one kid age 16 her boyfriend claims the other,2 years old. he makes about 53,000 working for township,they dont own a home they rent, they file seperatly. they are each getting back $10,000 they said H&R used alot of deductions i dont see what they could have deducted. My husband and i make together $55,000 and we own and deduct taxes and interest,we have 1 child age 13 and we get hardly anything back. how is it possible they could get that much back? Im sure sooner or later they will get audited.
This couple may be lying....my wife and I never tell people the truth about our finances, when people find out you have some money, people ask to borrow it. On the other side of that coin, some people like to brag about what they think they have. Look at all the so called "rich" that are actually broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance