Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

At some point you look at people who are your long term friends and evaluate how much you have in common with them, what they add to your life, and if they bring you up or down. I cut the strings on several people I have known for years, because we no longer had common goals, interests, and the income gap was too great. Plus, they can't help but "put you down", "Oh, I could NEVER play that BS asskissing game to get ahead", somehow implying that I brown-nosed my way to the top. Baloney!!! I got where I am because I work hard. They are losers at the "game" and they know it. Move on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
That is a very heartless phrase to apply to family. Because my brother or sister's emergencies are also my emergencies if I can help. Because we're family and if we can't depend on each other than who can we depend on?

But, and this is a big but - when you have family that seems completely unable to support themselves, something has to happen. Throwing more money won't fix anything long-term
But can you depend on them? With the sort of people being discussed here, dependency is purely a one-way street.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
tHANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR POSTS!!`i am a saver..been a saver all of my adult life and before that. I am in my mid 50's and I know allot of people my age..that hardly have any money. It is about half/half. Half the people my age..are spenders and the other half are savers. When I talk to a few of my friends...they will hint they don't know how to pay for this bill or that bill...i don't say a word. I just bought a new phone..Virgin Mobile..I get all the advantages of that of a Apple or Verizon and I pay half the price. I cut out coupons. I am looking for bargains.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeger View Post
I have friends who didn't save and are one bad event away from living in poverty. One friend keeps afloat with employment but constantly needs cash infusions from relatives, has a stack of credit card bills, and always says she wants to do what I do even though she can't afford it. Another friend has health problems but just cashed out a IRA for some short term goals, lives on credit cards, has no retirement savings, just a small pension.

When I offer advice it is typically rejected, so I don't offer anymore. I try to avoid any conversation that will lead in the direction of finances. But that causes some stress for me.

Unfortunately, these are longtime friends that I would have difficulty removing from my circle. Surely others have this problem?

if they knew how you felt about them I am sure they would not want to be your friend either.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeger View Post
I have friends who didn't save and are one bad event away from living in poverty. One friend keeps afloat with employment but constantly needs cash infusions from relatives, has a stack of credit card bills, and always says she wants to do what I do even though she can't afford it. Another friend has health problems but just cashed out a IRA for some short term goals, lives on credit cards, has no retirement savings, just a small pension.

When I offer advice it is typically rejected, so I don't offer anymore. I try to avoid any conversation that will lead in the direction of finances. But that causes some stress for me.

Unfortunately, these are longtime friends that I would have difficulty removing from my circle. Surely others have this problem?
I have been here before. It's difficult to create boundaries with age old friends, especially when they seem to be at their low points...be it emotional or financial. Still, if I enjoy their company I don't see the need to be a fairweather friend. You can listen without turning your back on them or passing judgment. I have a lot of respect for my friends who tell it like it is and I can rely on for a pep talk. Sometimes my friends aren't those people who I can depend on for life advice but the one liners and fun never seems to quit. I have friends who are often down on life and luck. Every one of them has something to offer, whether they realize it or not.

If a friend were to ask me for a loan, I simply state that I don't do loans. If you need it more than me, it's yours. If friend or family member is not a good steward of their funds, I simply don't put good money after bad. If they judge me for that, so be it.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
If a friend were to ask me for a loan, I simply state that I don't do loans. If you need it more than me, it's yours. If friend or family member is not a good steward of their funds, I simply don't put good money after bad. If they judge me for that, so be it.
My husband is the same way. Most of the time when he's given money (usually to a family member or a family friend) he just "gives" it because he doesn't figure on ever seeing it again. Then I get annoyed with him for it because I view it as letting people take advantage of him. And he'll fix their computers for nothing, too. Thing is, they never learn boundaries.

We're very different about this but he's out of dog house as long as his generosity doesn't affect ME.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
I have been here before. It's difficult to create boundaries with age old friends, especially when they seem to be at their low points...be it emotional or financial. Still, if I enjoy their company I don't see the need to be a fairweather friend. You can listen without turning your back on them or passing judgment. I have a lot of respect for my friends who tell it like it is and I can rely on for a pep talk. Sometimes my friends aren't those people who I can depend on for life advice but the one liners and fun never seems to quit. I have friends who are often down on life and luck. Every one of them has something to offer, whether they realize it or not.

I agree. I think it is about liking people for what they are rather than focusing on what they are not. Financial stuff is best kept to yourself.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
But I think how people act reflects their values, and that reveals who they are. I can't separate "who someone is" from "what they do."

I don't care if it's a politician who cheats on his wife, a TV minister who misappropriates donations, or a "friend" who spends herself into debt because of the inability to delay gratification. Sure these people might have good traits too, but you can't deny that people's actions reveal who they are as a person. I don't buy into moral compartmentalization.

Like I said in my earlier post, I can't pretend to continue to be friends with someone whose values are so different from my own.

The way people handle "financial" stuff is very telling about the person they are iniside.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
It is funny, we lived very frugally for a long long time saving to buy a home. We had some good friends that lived near us living the same way we figured. This past December we bought our home. We even invited one family over for Christmas. They are of the always having a financial crisis ilk. We later found out that they wanted what we had, a home, and were jealous. Over the past few months they have stopped talking to us. It almost seems like just because we are in a better position than them that they don't want to spend time with us anymore. I don't get that at all. At the same time, it isn't our fault that they didn't do the same thing that we did and save for a home. They did spend their money though on designer clothes and nicer cars.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But I think how people act reflects their values, and that reveals who they are. I can't separate "who someone is" from "what they do."

I don't care if it's a politician who cheats on his wife, a TV minister who misappropriates donations, or a "friend" who spends herself into debt because of the inability to delay gratification. Sure these people might have good traits too, but you can't deny that people's actions reveal who they are as a person. I don't buy into moral compartmentalization.

Like I said in my earlier post, I can't pretend to continue to be friends with someone whose values are so different from my own.

The way people handle "financial" stuff is very telling about the person they are iniside.

Could you pleae explain this? If people are savers and frugal they are good people???? If they are spenders and in debt they are bad people?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance