Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

The Amex Card I have now is 5 years old and never been late with a payment during that time. So I wanted to apply for another AMEX Card to uild up my credit and was rejected??? So being a current crd holder of a AMEX card doesn't count for anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
well, not all american express cards are managed by the same company. so they may be totally independent when it comes to issuing new cards.

also, something negative may have happened with your credit since getting that original card. if something happened with your credit, they probably wont take away your card but it may be an issue with getting any new lines of credit. if you arent aware of any credit issues, you may want to check for a free credit report to see if there is anything there.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, not all american express cards are managed by the same company. so they may be totally independent when it comes to issuing new cards.

also, something negative may have happened with your credit since getting that original card. if something happened with your credit, they probably wont take away your card but it may be an issue with getting any new lines of credit. if you arent aware of any credit issues, you may want to check for a free credit report to see if there is anything there.

I fall in the Fair credit range and just checked my credit report and there is nothing on there negative. I had two credit cards in good standing, AMex and Radio shack and closed the Radio Shack account after I paid it off because I felt I had no more use for it.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I fall in the Fair credit range and just checked my credit report and there is nothing on there negative. I had two credit cards in good standing, AMex and Radio shack and closed the Radio Shack account after I paid it off because I felt I had no more use for it.
they gave you reasons for the rejection, no?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
you could always call them and ask.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they gave you reasons for the rejection, no?
Not enough accounts in good standings. Only 2.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
then there you go. you basically don't have "enough credit" for them to give you more. maybe get a card elsewhere to establish more history, or just wait longer.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
The Amex Card I have now is 5 years old and never been late with a payment during that time. So I wanted to apply for another AMEX Card to uild up my credit and was rejected??? So being a current crd holder of a AMEX card doesn't count for anything?
It might depend on the type of Amex card you have and how much you spend with them.

Amex have taken a conscious decision to go back "up market". They were even paying some customers to give up their cards If you are a light user, they may not want your business.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
It sounds as though you've already answered your own question.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It might depend on the type of Amex card you have and how much you spend with them.

Amex have taken a conscious decision to go back "up market". They were even paying some customers to give up their cards If you are a light user, they may not want your business.
The lady on the phone stated that I don't use the card enough and don't have a spending pattern. That's probably why I only use it when I have a date or a unexpected outing with family or friends. Other than that I may just use it for dinner on the way home from work. I defintely do go a month without using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance