Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times

Advertisements

After carefully studying the matter for best location(s), energy mix and crop mix, I would buy farmland and possibly also set up a small high-tech manufacturing operation on the same plot at least in part fueled by a waste-to-energy system and equipped with high-tech telecommunications systems. Of course, this implies, besides further educating oneself in an interdisciplinary manner, paying people who could best contribute to such an enterprise, from high-tech to laborers.

To be sure, if I tried to implement such a real investment on US soil, I might be assassinated.

Naturally paying off debt is a priority. A few mentioned financial investments, one or two finance-related businesses.

Otherwise, the only one who mentioned real investment was sarcastic and many listed examples of conspicuous consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Buy beautiful properties all over the world
A Plane
A Yacht
An Island in the South Seas
Take everyone I've ever liked on an around the world cruise
Put everyone I've ever liked kids through school.
Endow Hillsdale College
Make a movie
After funding items 1-3, you're going to be out of money In the land of the mega-rich, $100M just won't go very far.

A friend of mine's parents own a 100' yacht. It cost around $8-10M to buy, plus about $1-2M to operate every year, between paying captain and crew, slip rentals at various ports (many are $1,000-2,000+ per night x 365 days a year), plus fuel, maintenance, etc. This man is probably worth several hundred million (homes in NYC, Florida, Colorado, etc) and joked that he "poor" in the yachting world.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
After I paid off people and debts and bought and invested, I would give away the remaining 80 million to people who need it. Nobody needs a 100 mil.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
I would strive to make it into the Guiness Book of World Records under the category of World's Most Lazy Human Being.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,530 times
I'd open me up a hotel!

I see the amounts of money I spend on hotels each month. I'd open a residence inn type place and be set for life. Or lease out a sky rise in NYC and turn it into a condo or hotel or something and then LIVE in Nyc instead of this ****ing boring ass Colorado.

everybody talks about paying off debt: I had a friend who won $6,000 cash after the attorney fees, paid off a bunch of credit cards and then turned broke. He didn't even end up following thru with moving to Las Vegas because of it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times
Hopefully not waste it like I do my hard earned money...

I would want to set up a self sustained farm, home, compound where I could use solar energy, rain, wind and whatever else to run the place. Learn how to make biodiesel.
Plant food, fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, coffee etc etc to have enough to give away to friends and neighbors, or sell for cheap.
Have animals, make good compost, plant medicinals. Have fresh eggs.
Feed my kids healthy food.
Have a bunch of dogs, a few other fun pets.
Have big bbq's and Luau's for friends.
Learn to play an instrument, purchase a good quality one.
Make my property its own living paradise.
with plenty of guest cottages!!

Something fun like that.

Of course I'm a soft hearted person, I'd help people with major needs too.. Kids especially..
I would LOVE to teach "health and wellness" to kids. I guess I would need a degree or license, or just set up my own classroom!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I would probably drop dead in shock!

If I didn't drop dead and the money was really mine.....

Thank the person who gave it to me.
I would set aside 50mil for taxes and get a really good tax person.
I would invest enough to give myself good health insurance and an income of 10K per month.
Finish remodeling my house.
Buy a car, not necessarily new. Just something decent.
Then I would give the rest away as I saw fit and have a ball doing it.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I really hate what if scenarios.... I'd rather live in reality.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I'd call teh bank. Years ago I got my statemnt which had 103'000 deposit I didn't amke. Called and foud out that a older lady customer had used a bank deposit slip to depaosit he home sale wown payments and put accout number wrong that was mine. Its ilegal of course to knowingly keep it.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times
Assuming that is was really mine and not some mistake, I'd do what a lot of people have already mentioned.

-Pay off debts (mortgage and student loans for me and hubby)
-Help family pay off mortgages
-Invest a chunk
-Save a chunk
-quit my job and volunteer more at animal shelters
-donate more $ to animal shelters
-travel a bit more, but nothing excessive. I'd love to go to Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance