Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,314,207 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
i was wondering about what i'm going to do.....i work as an Engineer with 7-8 years of experience. I've been at the current small company for 2 years now and my review is up.
i've performed well over the past year, obtained my PMP, have several satisfied customers from the past year, and i'm sure that i will be offered a raise....but i'm content with how much i'm getting paid. It is more than 20k more than my friends working elsewhere, and the company is not doing as well as it could be doing right now (although things are turning around rapidly). The reason i'm considering declining the raise is the facts mentioned above, as well as the thinking about the higher paid folks being cut first, should there ever be a downsizing.....

my question to you is whether you'd ever turn down a raise, and what's the best way to go about doing that strategically if you were to do that? should i ask for something else instead? (like more Vacation time, etc.?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,235,487 times
Are you drunk?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
i think you need to see a psychiatrist. if i offered an employee a raise and he turned it down, i would not look at that as a good thing. i at least thought you were going to talk about extra responsibility or a change in position that you dont want. to just turn down more money for the same job is insane.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,849,921 times
I'd rethink your position. Not taking a raise will do nothing to secure your job. Take the money!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,859,034 times
I would think that if you do not think you are worth what they pay you, you would work harder to make yourself worth what they're paying you. When they downsize they release the least valuable people. If you make a lot, strive to be worth it.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you drunk?
lol that's exactly what my wife said......

No, i'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you need to see a psychiatrist. if i offered an employee a raise and he turned it down, i would not look at that as a good thing. i at least thought you were going to talk about extra responsibility or a change in position that you dont want. to just turn down more money for the same job is insane.
well, my responsibilities have actually increased alot since my last review. My role has essentially switched to a Project Manager, so additional compensation is only logical.....
but i don't know exactly why i have this hesitation.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,235,487 times
You should change your user name to Over Thinking-man.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You should change your user name to Over Thinking-man.
lol really? you think i'm over thinking it?
i do like to try to look at different alternatives whenever i'm faced with a decision....i don't think that's necessarily 'over' thinking something

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM

4,474 posts, read 8,170,755 times
The higher paid folks aren't necessarily always the first to go, usually it's the lower performers that get cut first. It sounds like you're being profitable to your company so I doubt they'd get rid of you just to higher someone cheaper who is an unknown commodity.

I turned down a new position that would have come with a pay increase and more stability in 2009. My reason was that it would have increased my commute drastically and been in a more stressful working environment. The pay bump would not have made up for the hassle and aggravation. It worked out in the end because a year later they offered me the same position at the same work site I was already working at. No brainer and I took the new job in 2010.

It's not always about making the most money. You have to balance your quality of life as well.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
lwell, my responsibilities have actually increased alot since my last review. My role has essentially switched to a Project Manager, so additional compensation is only logical.....
but i don't know exactly why i have this hesitation.
so if you have more responsibility, it makes sense for you to earn more. im sure if your company was going bankrupt, your raise isnt going to be what breaks them. if they start laying people off, then maybe you can offer to take a pay cut. as someone else mentioned, its nice to cut the most expensive people but you also cant get rid of your most valuable people. how easy can you be replaced by someone cheaper? anyway, if i offered someone a raise and they turned it down, id start wondering if the person isnt as bright as i thought he was.

in a way, this concept is a bit offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance