Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,553,114 times

Advertisements

take it. save the extra money and you will retire earlier.

you are borderline nuts for even asking the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,970,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hi everyone,
i was wondering about what i'm going to do.....i work as an Engineer with 7-8 years of experience. I've been at the current small company for 2 years now and my review is up.
i've performed well over the past year, obtained my PMP, have several satisfied customers from the past year, and i'm sure that i will be offered a raise....but i'm content with how much i'm getting paid. It is more than 20k more than my friends working elsewhere, and the company is not doing as well as it could be doing right now (although things are turning around rapidly). The reason i'm considering declining the raise is the facts mentioned above, as well as the thinking about the higher paid folks being cut first, should there ever be a downsizing.....

my question to you is whether you'd ever turn down a raise, and what's the best way to go about doing that strategically if you were to do that? should i ask for something else instead? (like more Vacation time, etc.?)
I have turned down raises asking for something else instead.

Unlimited use of a company car is always good.

Maybe a couple business meals every month (wink, wink).

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM

917 posts, read 2,008,695 times
Take it.

I haven't had one in yrs.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,336,344 times
Trust me -- if they can't afford to give you a raise, they won't. If they can, they will. I've worked in places that weren't doing well, and raises were off the table. They did some extra compensation in other ways, but flat out said raises were off the table.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM

362 posts, read 819,628 times
Dude, we're in a new world where there is little to no loyalty from companies to their employees...

Look out for yourself, and get yours while you can. Get that money!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times
The employer decides how to spend money. It is not your responsibility to look after the entire scope of the firm's finanaces, and relate your personal salary to their success, or failure. For example, where I work, I make an excellent salary, BUT...the waste, fraud, and problems in expenditure, far exceed my little salary. So, I take every cent. I earn it. I leave on time, don't ever stay late.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM

313 posts, read 451,872 times
I'm thinking that your company may not want to be too flexible because things never are as easy as they sound anymore. If they do something a little different for one employee then they have to consider it for anyone else who requests it, and things could get a little sticky. It's one of those concepts that sound better on paper than in reality.

I work a city job, and many people complain of pay not being even with other jurisdictions (which is true). However, our benefits are a fair amount better. So when employees complain about the pay, I tell them that I'd rather maintain lower pay to leave our benefits uncompromised. Because a raise would NOT match the increase in health insurance if we forced the issue. Others don't see it that way.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,918,248 times
The joke may well b e on you..! If they aren't doing well, they will give you your review and then CUT your salary..! If a raise is offered, take it and don't look back..!
Loyalty to a company only goes so far. If necessary, they would toss you under the bus without a moments hesitation. You're too young to know how companies treat long time, loyal employees..!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,961,067 times
If the job is also an increase in responsibility, absolutely. I actually have turned down a raise and ended up being the only one in my division at that time that didn't get laid off. So, depending on the company and the situation it may be a smart thing to do. I ended up getting a promotion and moved to the division I had always wanted to work in because my VP at the time thought it was admirable what I had done. He commented that he thought I cared more about just the job but the entire company. Which I do. I see it that if my company does well, I do well. IF we aren't doing well, why should I get rewarded for that?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,314,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The joke may well b e on you..! If they aren't doing well, they will give you your review and then CUT your salary..! If a raise is offered, take it and don't look back..!
Loyalty to a company only goes so far. If necessary, they would toss you under the bus without a moments hesitation. You're too young to know how companies treat long time, loyal employees..!
don't you think it's a bit different at a small company?
also, don't you think it might be different from company to company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance