Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I think you are right in that he is referring to it, but he's misguided. I don't know of a single country in Europe with a 32 hour work week so I doubt it is typical of anything and certainly not a worthy data point to support a position.

Then again, Boompa is the reigning master of hyperbole and exaggeration.
Here is a link showing typical hours for European Countries:

Untangling the myths of working time: How long is the European working week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 PM

303 posts, read 603,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I can't imagine that a person who has never had to work a sucky job would be even remotely cool or interesting.
Why is that?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You can't assume it is only about the money. Some of these "super rich" have a passion for what they do and that is why they continue long after they don't need to financially. But that doesn't mean you turn down the paycheck either.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideWunda View Post
Why is that?
What kind of person would never have had to work a real job? A sheltered, spoiled rich kid, I imagine. Could you imagine such a person being cool or interesting?

Plus, working sucky jobs teaches people they aren't the Greatest Thing in The World, gives them a little perspective and humility and real world knowledge.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Here is a link showing typical hours for European Countries:

Untangling the myths of working time: How long is the European working week?
Gotcha good link thanks. Average hours for full time workers the lowest on the list was 40.8 for Italy and Spain. As usual Boompa is spending time fighting against facts that only exist in his head.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
What kind of person would never have had to work a real job? A sheltered, spoiled rich kid, I imagine. Could you imagine such a person being cool or interesting?

Plus, working sucky jobs teaches people they aren't the Greatest Thing in The World, gives them a little perspective and humility and real world knowledge.
Nah. You're wrong.

Many people who have never worked are very interesting. My grandmother never held a job, and was not rich, yet very interesting. She can tell some interesting tales about history and culture. One of my friends from my country club never had a job but has traveled the world because he loves learning about different cultures. He's also a very interesting person to talk to can really give you some insight on how messed up American culture in perspective of the rest of the world.

Also, it's a myth that rich people are spoiled or sheltered.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM

303 posts, read 603,792 times
Quote:

Sure crappy jobs can teach people those things, but just because somebody has a job doesn't mean they can't or won't be spoiled, sheltered, entitled, uppity, etc. There's still people out there that act that way and I personally wouldn't find them cool whether they had a job or not.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Sure, but what are the odds of someone who has NEVER had a job NOT being that way? pretty low, the way I see it.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Have you ever had a job? A real one? I can't imagine that a person who has never had to work a sucky job would be even remotely cool or interesting.
yes, i have a full time job.

its not my goal to seem cool or interesting to you or anyone who would make such a comment. its my goal to maximize my quality of life.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Sure, but what are the odds of someone who has NEVER had a job NOT being that way? pretty low, the way I see it.
thats because your opinion is completely uninformed and based on baseless preconceived notions about people who dont work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance