Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,548 times

Advertisements

Chase bank froze my bank account for alleged fraud. After they debited my account for the transaction in question, my account containing other funds is still frozen. What should I do to unfreeze it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
There's always the alternative of calling them up to ask why, and what the procedure is. They probably are more intimately familiar with their internal banking and fraud prevention procedures than most people here.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Already did, and was told that my account could be frozen indefinitely. Is there a legal forum that can address this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
There's always the alternative of calling them up to ask why, and what the procedure is. They probably are more intimately familiar with their internal banking and fraud prevention procedures than most people here.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Already did, and was told that my account could be frozen indefinitely. Is there a legal forum that can address this question?
There might be; you can look through the forums, always remembering that free legal advice is often worth less than what you pay for it.

From a non-legal perspective, however, something's strange here, even making considerable allowance for the ability of Chase to redline any rect-o-meter. I should think they would be able to tell you what their reasoning is. I've leaned on a lot of banks in my lifetime over things I considered stupid or evil, and eventually I always got a candid answer. I didn't usually agree with it or validate it, but at least I knew why something had occurred.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
This is probably the kind of thing that needs a little more explanation than they give over the phone. If they believe you are trying to defraud them or have triggered some kind of Federal seizure (for money laundered, terrorist money movement or tax evasion) you probably need to get the courts to intervene.

This kind of stuff is in "fine print" of all banking agreements these days...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
I doubt you'll find any forum upon which attorneys dispense free legal advice. Best you pay for at least an initial consultation with a qualified attorney if the bank isn't cooperating.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:29 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Chase bank froze my bank account for alleged fraud. After they debited my account for the transaction in question, my account containing other funds is still frozen. What should I do to unfreeze it?
What type of fraud? Need more details before commenting.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM

a money order.

I sold an item on ebay and received a money order as payment ($150), and Chase says it's a fraudulent money order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
What type of fraud? Need more details before commenting.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
a money order.

I sold an item on ebay and received a money order as payment ($150), and Chase says it's a fraudulent money order.

I am assuming that you have reported this to eBay? It is also recommended that you report it to local law enforcement (which I know takes time to investigate).

In order to "unfreeze" the account, you will have to prove the money order did not originate from you. As a buyer/seller on eBay, I would contact them and report it, contact local law enforcement (if only to create a case #) and talk to Chase and let them know you are trying to resolve the matter.

Also, do not deposit any more money into your account although, it would be puzzling as to why Chase would freeze any amount over the $150 amount. This won't clear itself up, you'll have to do some work to fix it. Start with eBay, first. Report the fraud to them right away!

Oh and for future sales, don't accept money orders or personal checks.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
OP, I see you posted this in the other forum I suggested to you via PM. You got a lot of activity there from other members, but you seem to have disappeared. If you want help, you have to participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance