Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 AM

23 posts, read 124,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
If you still can't get anywhere with the bank, try hitting the media. Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, your local news, Yahoo, MSN, etc. It will bring the problem into the limelight if indeed there are crooked clerks taking people's money and blaming it as "machine" errors and it's your loss. Don't take it lying down without a fight. $4500 is no small amount of money to be miscounted by the teller, the manager, the machine, and the fact that they gave you a receipt afterwards. One person could have gotten it wrong, but all three people and a machine, and a deposit record too? Something is not right.
Thank you daddiesgirl, I'm still giving them the benefit of doubts that it is an honest mistake somewhere, although the way the branch manager handled the case with such a defensive and stupid excuses truly threw me off.

My mom-in-law lost her job long time ago. Instead of living on gov's unemployment benefit, she chose to learn some skills at her late fifties, and started to work at the local flea market. In a Florida summer, the working condition is harsh, and the business wasn't that good. $4500 is pretty much a whole summer's income. Losing it would be so heart-wrenching to her. I'm honestly more worried if my mom can stand this blow. But we are now working in California, far away from her. Otherwise, I would go to the branch with her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmys View Post
Thank you. We called its 1-800 number, use the option of "checking account dispute" and got to speak with a guy. He suggested that we went to another branch to ask them to file an independent review of the transaction.

When my mom drove there, a bit surprisingly, they told her they were aware of it, but there was nothing they can do.

Wondering how could we get to an auditor, or there is an auditor assigned already?
First thing is to NOT LOSE that receipt. Who has it?? Get it and put it into a safe immediately. DO NOT let the bank keep the original. Without that receipt, forget it.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Thanks! any more detailed suggestions? We need to report the counterfeit issue to the police? is that what you mean? Sorry we are pretty ignorant at this case...
Forget the counterfeit bill. She needs to get her $4500 back immediately. If she is elderly she can perhaps use elder law services near her. Repeat, do not lose that original receipt.

A deposit slip from the bank is a VERIFICATION of the amount deposited. This is their error, they must make good. Seek legal counsel, free if you can get it.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
Default Call the police

My husband had a similar situation at our bank. They gave him the run around for days. The bank actually deposited our money into someone else's account. Then the bank manager said "Unfortunately, they spent the money." That's when my husband raised his voice, said IDGAF, were calling the police.
He was immediately ushered into branch managers office and given a deposit receipt for amount the deposit.
You are going to have to get pushy & loud. Nice is not working.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Thank you.. He suggested that we went to another branch to ask them to file an independent review of the transaction.
If I got an answer like that, it would raise a red flag that the guy was just trying to get rid of me, rather than helping me...! Call a supposed expert and they send you someplace else, he's dodging you................. Doesn't want to bother figureing out the problem...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If I got an answer like that, it would raise a red flag that the guy was just trying to get rid of me, rather than helping me...! Call a supposed expert and they send you someplace else, he's dodging you................. Doesn't want to bother figureing out the problem...
Thanks. I called 1-800 again this morning, and reached a manager who is nice and professional enough to listen to the case. We are now faxing the report and complain letter through her.

The whole thing is just so unreal...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
You may want to get the Fed's involved:
Help and Frequently Asked Questions about National Banks from OCC's HelpWithMyBank.gov

or there Requlators:
OCC: Dispute Resolution

Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Thank you! That's a great source. I'll first wait to see if their headquarter can help to solve this issue.

If not, we'll probably have to go a full blow-out ......

My poor mom-in-law has lost sleeps lately. I hope it can end soon.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I agree with others, get crazy about this, there's no excuse for their mistake (and you have a receipt as proof) so get to it. Yikes, that would be horrible!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Make sure this is not a delay tactic since they are asking you to fill out all these forms and talk to different people. The more they can delay the more new tactics and excuses they will create. Get a police report, call the corporate office, the Attorney General's office, call the National Bank Association and the FDIC. I would be pissed and calling any agency I could think of for them not handling this with urgency and you will have a clear report and report of the timeline if you have to take them to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance