Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 AM

354 posts, read 749,834 times

Advertisements

ok. i ordered a laptop at amazon as holiday gift for myself. i used my chase debit card to pay for it. i was given the tracking number for my item. traced it for 4 days with no activity at all. that was only when i complained to the seller. i bought from one of the merchants not amazon directly coz he has the LOWEST price on a new laptop. now i know why. anyway the fraud seller said that is strange. i told him i expect my item on expected delivery date 12/15. he said no prob. he shipped it overnight so i did receive it 12/15. meanwhile, im tired of whenever i check my balance, chase ALWAYS charge me with fees. i honestly lost count of reasons why, everytime, the fees they charge me are for different reasons. WTF. SO i decided to just close the damn account 12/14. yes. i closed my debit card account BEFORE i receive my amazon order.

back to 12/15, i was yelling with happiness. finally i got my long awaited laptop. what did i see? scratches. yes. the laptop was used instead brand new. so thats why he has the LOWEST price on a new laptop. what to do?

i want to return it but i already closed my account. i contacted amazon, the seller and CHASE! - the good for nothing bank. CHASE charge you fees for EVERYTHING but won't help you get your money back from a closed account even if you just closed it. CHASE has a standard answer to me on diff. days, diff. branches i go to, phone or in person:

ONCE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED IT IS A DONE DEAL

1 rep even told me my refund money will be in limbo floating in space.

meanwhile both amazon and the fraud seller told me their policy is that they can only do refund on the card used. eventhough i inform them that the card is closed.

so now.... i am left with my holiday spent talking to chase amazon and the fraud seller on how to get my money back. i want to make sure first i will get my refund before i return the item. i dont want to be left empty handed with no money and no item.

i even contacted HP. HP was the laptop i ordered. they were able to trace that my laptop was manufactured 8-09. so i was told it was ordered last sept. or october or nov. so it WAS used. when i told the seller about my investigation he said he ordered it nov. 24 and never opened it. i said ya right that's why it was scratched. he said he have receipt to prove it but when i ask for it he ignored me.

status now of my predicament is: i compromise with the seller, he will send me a stand for the laptop and a $40 check. surprisingly this item is no frozen according to tracking, i will receive it on 1/8. so we'll see.

i just wanna bash CHASE. their customer service and ridiculous fees is such a turn off. i will actually close my other account with them ASAP.

i prefer credit union anyway.

OH ALSO AVOID THE SELLER GLOBINGENE AT ALL COST IN AMAZON.COM. he only sent me the stand and check coz i gave him negative feed back and filed a-z claim. i removed the feedback right away after our phone convo. and he let me wait days(AGAIN!) before he shipped stand and check. actually he wants me to remove the feedback and claim FIRST before he send me the items. i told him i want the items fIRST before i remove it. i only removed the feedback right away to prove i will do what i said. and i want to get over this already.

BOTTOM LINE: i want to return the item so bad but my fault in closing my card BEFORE receiving the item and CHASE's incompetence made me just compromise with the fraud seller. i also told amazon their policy of refunding the money to a closed account is CRAZY. i also ask why can't they change the account where the money goes in the event the card used was closed as in my case, but they just email me with the automated reply that does NOT answer my question at all.

i always order online and this is the first time i encounter a fraud seller. i always buy new items and always get new items as advertised. so i did not anticipate this happening.

Last edited by baket; 01-06-2010 at 04:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Sounds like your mistake was cosing that account to soon;then of course your not a customer anymore. Your real compalint is with the seller if damaged ;anyway.Closing the account only meant that you have to deal with the seller yourself instead of Chase.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM

22,620 posts, read 47,758,002 times
yet another reason to use a credit card and not a debit card.....

Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,430,664 times
You can still receive a refund on a closed card. There is no approval check for refunds. It's not like it can be "denied".

I don't know why you're blaming Chase...they didn't close your account. YOU did!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM

i admit i am at fault. but amazon told me it has happened to them and the banks usually give the money or transfer the refund to an existing account. i still have an active checking account with chase and i was told they can't do it since the account was closed. so why do some banks go out of their way to help their clients while CHASE just shrug their shoulder and walk away?

banker: and you seem to be obsesssed with banks - that's even your username. i know they give you $125/mo dividend(how do you do that anyway? is through savings? CDs?) but bashing those who have unfortunate customer service with banks is just low. what is your bank anyway?? and HOW may i ask can i get my refund??? i have asked that to chase, the seller and amazon and they said my refund will go to closed account. if it is closed, where does the refund go and how do i get my money?? u seem to know how bank works when chase itself told me my money will be floating in space.

from my experience, credit union is better than commercial banks like chase. i owe it to my credit union to be owning my car. and hopefully soon, my home.

i also did not blame just chase i also blame the seller MOST grudgingly and amazon. so lay off me banker-obsessed.

oh i also mostly use my CC in EVERYTHING. i only use debit card now coz i am currently on a gypsy mode kind of living. i've been jobless since july '09 and decided to just go on a road trip living off my savings until Feb 2010 and go back to REAL world of finding that elusive job in this hardened times. i dont want to use my CC coz i cant get hold of my bills while on the road. i dislike paperless method of payment. although now with what happened to me. i should have set up a paperless method of payment with my CC before venturing to my road trip. but i just feel unsafe doing it. i feel like some hacker might find my account and withdraw all my hard earned money like what happened to some.

Last edited by baket; 01-06-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,430,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
i admit i am at fault. but amazon told me it has happened to them and the banks usually give the money or transfer the refund to an existing account. i still have an active checking account with chase and i was told they can't do it since the account was closed. so why do some banks go out of their way to help their clients while CHASE just shrug their shoulder and walk away?

banker: and you seem to be obsesssed with banks - that's even your username. i know they give you $125/mo dividend(how do you do that anyway? is through savings? CDs?) but bashing those who have unfortunate customer service with banks is just low. what is your bank anyway??

from my experience, credit union is better than commercial banks like chase. i owe it to my credit union to be owning my car. and hopefully soon, my home.

i also did not blame just chase i also blame the seller MOST grudgingly and amazon. so lay off me banker-obsessed.
First off, I didn't bash you. Calm down!

Second, I gave you good advice. Advice you obviously didn't listen to, since you didn't comment on it. You can still get credit on a CLOSED CARD. Like I said before, when a credit is submitted, there is no approval needed, therefore it will go through regardless if the card is blocked or not. The fact that you still have an open checking account makes me 100% positive you WILL get the credit should Amazon submit a reversal. Also, if your card is VISA, you're legally allowed to dispute a charge if there was something wrong with it. If Chase won't let you dispute it, then go to VISA. I don't believe you're telling the whole story here, though. All banks will allow you dispute charges as long as it's within a reasonable time frame (usually 30-60 days).

Third, I work for a credit union. I'm not against you. Take a chill pill, why don't you.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 AM

454 posts, read 1,408,442 times
DON'T WORRY.
it's not all lost.
call the seller and tell him and you'd like to return the item. ship it back certified so you have proof.
then tell him to return your money to the same account that you paid with. don't mention any of the troubles you're going through or the account being closed etc.
he will return the money to chase and chase will automatically send you a check. check back with 'chase' in a few days to see where your check is.

we had a similar issue with a closed credit card.

good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,545,324 times
CHASE does suck. I had an issue with them decades ago. Took me months to resolve the issue. I did get a check in the mail - no loetter of explaination or apology. I guess I won, but it was such a hollow victory. I've avoided them like the plague ever since.

Stick with credit unions. And use a credit card instead of a debit card for online transactions.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM

did u read my story? before i return the item i bombarded chase, the seller and amazon how i can get hold of my money. i particularly asked chase if the refund should go to my active account rather that closed account they dont wanna deal with it. oh i did not know about the visa thing. but how can VISA help me if my debit card is already closed. and what whole story are you still looking for, i have said what happened entirely. what exactly u think is missing?

UPDATE: i just got off the phone from CHASE(again!) and ya they are telling me to tALk to the seller on other ways to refund my money coz they won't issue me a check or whatever since the account is closed already. so i dont know what you are talking about banker. maybe your credit union is THAT good but NOT CHASE! CHASE does suck! the fraud seller alreaDY TOLD Me $800 is just too much for him to refund. since i ask him well if you could give me $40 check why don't you just give me a full refund check. i just have to console myself that it was just mild scratches anyway. i will see to it that amazon bans him from selling ever again.

Last edited by baket; 01-06-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,268,803 times
Here are the facts:

1. You used a debit card instead of a credit card. That is a big no no.

2. You closed the account.

3. The seller could very be well telling you the truth. Case in point. I bought a Samsung television around 4 years ago. When I opened it up, there was a scratch on it so I took it back. I asked them if this was a customer return and they told me it was not. It was brand new and never been opened. I then got another one, and this one had a scratch on it too!!! It was small, so I just let it go and kept it. I did call Samsung and they told me that happens sometimes on the assembly line.

Bottom line is this really is not a big deal. It is not like the laptop is broken or anything, and you did get a really good price on it as you said. Personally, I would just deal with it and learn from your mistake. From now on make sure and use a credit card when ordering anything online. I personally use my credit card for everything, but that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance