Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Not everybody can just pack up and leave because they want to.

No, but they can when they NEED to..

Read about the dust bowl... or any other time when peoples have had to move for food or resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No, but they can when they NEED to..

Read about the dust bowl... or any other time when peoples have had to move for food or resources.
Good post. Past generations had it worse than we do - even in today's economy. They clearly understood the difference between want and need.

I have relocated twice for jobs. Trust me, I did NOT want to. But, it was a need. Looking back, I'm much better for it.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
Yeah, actually I have heard about Texas having one of the better job markets.

I was reading an article about guys moving from all over the country to work the oil fields. Of course with oil, good $$ involved too.

Someone very close to me lives an hour west of San Antonio, and work was in such a lull for such a long time that he had to go an hour and a half away from home to work in the oil fields to be able to make ends meet and support his kids. He works 6 12 hour days minimum (anywhere from 72-90 hours a week, usually), and grosses $6k a month. That's less than $20 an hour if if was just STRAIGHT TIME. Factor in that time and a half, I'd say he's looking at, what, less than $15 an hour (I have no idea how to figure that out). Living an hour and a half away from his kids, paying a mortgage and a hotel room, working 12-18 hour days?

Yeah, "good money" is all relative.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM

142 posts, read 567,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Someone very close to me lives an hour west of San Antonio, and work was in such a lull for such a long time that he had to go an hour and a half away from home to work in the oil fields to be able to make ends meet and support his kids. He works 6 12 hour days minimum (anywhere from 72-90 hours a week, usually), and grosses $6k a month. That's less than $20 an hour if if was just STRAIGHT TIME. Factor in that time and a half, I'd say he's looking at, what, less than $15 an hour (I have no idea how to figure that out). Living an hour and a half away from his kids, paying a mortgage and a hotel room, working 12-18 hour days?

Not making any claims - just reiterated something I've heard; and figured I'd bring it up when someone else brought up Texas having decent job opportunities.

I'm in Boston, so I have no idea about the credibility of that claim. Than again, some of the people who claim 'good job opportunities', have never earned more then $10/hr.

Like I've posted previously, just another example of employers preying on a bad market.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post

That many hours in that environment could be a health hazard. Could cut lifespan. So he is a single dad?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
Not making any claims - just reiterated something I've heard; and figured I'd bring it up when someone else brought up Texas having decent job opportunities.

I'm in Boston, so I have no idea about the credibility of that claim. Than again, some of the people who claim 'good job opportunities', have never earned more then $10/hr.

Like I've posted previously, just another example of employers preying on a bad market.
It comes down to who you know not what you know.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM

142 posts, read 567,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It comes down to who you know not what you know.
True - it's like that everywhere; especially Boston.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM

55 posts, read 142,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The overview: I make $28K annually, 32 y/o, no kids or dependents. I will say that my job offers good benefits (health care...although I can't afford the co-pays half the time; life insurance; disability; union; etc.). I have a hefty dose of deductions that whittles my bi-weekly paycheck to about $780 (give or take).

Housing: I rent for $500/month. My utilities vary...

Car: The sticker price was $7,500 but with taxes, title and fees...that amount just ballooned. Used car prices are through the roof (this car was a 2002), and I had to go to where they would approve my horrible credit. So now I'm saddled with a $250/month car payment. Although I am saving a bit on car insurance ($95/month vs. $140/month) on this new car.

Cell Phone: and my monthly bill is like $140/month. To be fair, my

Commute: Killer. I spend upwards of $50/week in gas....

Graduate school: My tuition is covered by loans. But every semester, a course has a "required" text or software that is like $200.

Food: Impossible. Grocery shopping makes me want to cry. I try to keep it to $30/week. Beyond that, I go to my Grandmother's so that I can piggyback on her meals. There has to be a better way (I don't see my Grandparents...who are in their 80s, living another 10-20 years).

Cable & internet:

You have no idea what the gutter is like.
Before I moved into my $31,000 foreclosure at $215 a month, I was living in a 1969 mobile home that cost me $2900.00 back in 1987.
My car is a 1997 Mitsubishi, and I paid $1100 CASH for it.
My cell plan is $39.99.
My only retirement income is $1060.00 per month.
I'll be paying $400 a month for 2+ years to erase my credit card debt.

My budget does not include any of these:
clothes (have not bought any new clothes in at least 10 years).
jewelry (have none at all)
medical insurance (got none)
dental needs (I need 5 implants)
any misc. repair or replacement of a car part or a broken appliance.
I limit my miles driven to about 100 per month = gas of $15 a month.
I use coupons and sales and spend about $50 a month on food.
I spend $100 for cable TV and internet.
Left over cash is below zero.
I sell stuff on Ebay to try to make up.
I use Christmas gifts to buy Christmas gifts.

You are not in the real world of poverty.

Get yourself a junk car like mine. All you need is something to get you where you want to go, and not something that anyone cares what it looks like.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That many hours in that environment could be a health hazard. Could cut lifespan. So he is a single dad?
Before he left town he had shared custody 50/50 with his ex. He'd have the kids for a whole week, then they'd go to their mom's. Now, he's lucky if he gets to see them for a few hours a week. He says he's only going to do this for 2 years, which will pay off his house and truck, and then he can go back home and work for what they pay in the area and be able to make it. IF he makes it that long, you're right. He's been doing it for about 2 months now, and doesn't seem to have any problems yet, but we'll see...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
This morning, my blood pressure just rose thinking about on a non-stop merry-go-round of living hand to mouth (or "paycheck to paycheck") it seems. The only hope (and it's one I've held on to ever since I started working when I was 15) is to one day get a "good job". But with nothing on the horizon, I just feel the need to vent!

I've heard plenty of criticism in my life from people who feel they can tell me that I don't have it "that bad". Well in all honesty, I marvel at how others who make far less than I do can even survive. While I make more money than both my mother and my one sister that works....they both have living arrangements (where they pay little or nothing for housing). I on the other hand make "too much" to qualify for any type of public assistance .

The overview: I make $28K annually, 32 y/o, no kids or dependents. I will say that my job offers good benefits (health care...although I can't afford the co-pays half the time; life insurance; disability; union; etc.). I have a hefty dose of deductions that whittles my bi-weekly paycheck to about $780 (give or take).

Housing: I rent for $500/month. My utilities vary...but I don't have to pay anything up until the end of the year for electric and gas because I just moved, and I had a credit from my previous address (for being under the annual budgets). I wish I qualified for LiHeap though...because when I do have to pay....it's like $100 - $125 easy.

Car: This was not a problem until August of this year when my pretty decent, paid off car died and left me on the road. It was devastating! I have a 60 mile round trip commute and thankfully, they allowed me to work at home. No money at all to buy something else. I took out a personal loan for $2K and got another $2K from my Dad and BF's student loan refund. I used that to put money down on a used car. The sticker price was $7,500 but with taxes, title and fees...that amount just ballooned. Used car prices are through the roof (this car was a 2002), and I had to go to where they would approve my horrible credit. So now I'm saddled with a $250/month car payment. Although I am saving a bit on car insurance ($95/month vs. $140/month) on this new car.

The car payment is killing me....the rate is ridiculous (something crazy....like 20%). I'm planning on paying it off with my tax refund.

Cell Phone: I am the one person in my family that doesn't owe some cell phone company tons of money due to a breach in contract. With that being said, I have an account with 4 lines it. Two of those lines are for smartphones....and my monthly bill is like $140/month. To be fair, my mother and my grandmother (who have two of the lines) give me money for their share. However my sister, who is in college, doesn't. In spite of this big bill, I pay today about the same amount that I paid for one cell phone (with limited minutes) 6 years ago. So I guess the psychological trick is staying with the hope that when the new plans come out, you'll save some money.

Commute: Killer. I spend upwards of $50/week in gas....

Graduate school: My tuition is covered by loans. But every semester, a course has a "required" text or software that is like $200.

Food: Impossible. Grocery shopping makes me want to cry. I try to keep it to $30/week. Beyond that, I go to my Grandmother's so that I can piggyback on her meals. There has to be a better way (I don't see my Grandparents...who are in their 80s, living another 10-20 years).

Cable & internet: I actually had to nix this all together; which is pretty bad...being that my graduate studies are all online! But I figured that between my work computer and my cell phone, I could keep up. It was running me about $70/month for high-speed internet (cable...Fios is not available where I live). However my BF offered to get cable in his name, so for now, he's paying for it.

Credit cards: Yeah right. I throw $20 bucks at them every once in a while...but it hardly helps!

So after all that, I'm left with about $200 for the entire month....or $6 per day. But if ANYTHING comes up (car registration, office party, have to buy clothes, have to get my hair done {thankfully my sisters can do this most of the time...but they aren't always available}), then I'm flat broke.

The straw that broke the camel's back is that my BF tried to apply for foodstamps to try to help knock food expenses down at least. He was denied....we don't know the reason yet, but it's most likely because he's a part-time college student. So even though he only makes $300/month...he doesn't qualify.

Stressed!
I would say to stay the course.

You will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance