Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 PM

18,551 posts, read 15,633,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
You have quoted MSRP for the 2016 model. Who pays that any more?. I am more likely to not pay more than $25K for the 2016 car when the 2017 ones are coming out

The problem is that you are comparing 2 different time frames and extrapolating it for the $ 1000 spent. At 4 years the new car with 50K miles will need only $1000 or even less but the 8 year old car will have more problems ( especially if it had a bad driving history) and now needs $5000 in parts and maintenance. That will almost wipe out the initial savings. You can do that for every 5 years with the 4 year difference.

And then the 4 year earlier model will have less safety features.
If you account for the negotiability of the new car price, you should do the same for the used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,352,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
This...the old adage does not apply anymore..maybe on higher end American or German....but on Toyota, Honda, subaru etc this doesnt hold up- three year old models with 30K miles are not even 5K less, and at a higher rate. I'd rather pay the extra $$ upfront esp since I'll know the service history.
I agree with all this, too.

There is also an extremely high incidence of people with leased cars rolling back the odometer before turning the car back in to avoid all the mileage penalty. If the car hasn't been inspected or dealer serviced in the third year, there's no way of detecting a year's worth of driving being wiped off a 36 month/36,000 mile lease car. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between 35,999 miles and 50,000 miles if the car had fresh tires and brake pads. If somebody is facing a 15 cent per mile charge and they're over by 10,000+ miles, they'll happily feed a couple hundred bucks cash to the local shady used car lot to roll the odometer back. With digital odometers, most can be "corrected" via the ODB II port.

The low depreciation rate on some Japanese brands is changing some. We no longer have the inventory shortage that was caused by the crash in the new car market in 2010 at the height of the recession. Far more low end cars are being leased. There's a much bigger supply of 3 year old low mileage cars now than there was a few years ago. I've read that used prices are down about 10% for the low depreciation cars like Camry, Corolla, Accord, and Civic and are expected to drop more.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,248,515 times
I just think in general people automatically think "used car" means trouble and it simply isn't true.

We have 2 cars that were essentially donated to use and they have been trouble free. Both over 15 yrs old and over 160K mileage.

Tires, Brakes, shocks...ect. Nothing major at all. I replaced the hood latch in my Jeep.

My brother has a 2007 Accord and a 2007 Pilot...normal maintenance.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:43 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,673,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you account for the negotiability of the new car price, you should do the same for the used.
Yes, but a dealer trying to clear last year's new model to clear the old inventory and meet his quota to get manufacturer's incentives is more likely to cut $5K off the marked price. Not a chance in hell that the used car seller will do the same amount. Unlikely to be more than $500 max.

Timing of purchase of new cars is everything.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM

I know this thread is old, but I just can't resist pointing this out - I was really NOT expecting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i79IsiErro

3:32 "I don't borrow money and I don't teach people to borrow money"
5:00 "The company you work for, is there any chance they might give you a little advance on some of your pay?"

Old 06-16-2016, 02:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,657,354 times
That's hilarious! My employer is the LAST PLACE I would look to borrow money.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM

18,230 posts, read 15,776,780 times
Yeah no kidding; I never would.

At the same time, I'm sure an employer wouldn't be charging interest AND if the person is working and expected to continue working for said employer, it's not like they can't get their money back from a future/next paycheck. A paycheck 'advance' is different than borrowing money from a bank.

But Ramsey is right -- he really doesn't 'teach' people about borrowing money because other than a 15 yr mortgage, he's against going into debt.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yeah no kidding; I never would.

At the same time, I'm sure an employer wouldn't be charging interest AND if the person is working and expected to continue working for said employer, it's not like they can't get their money back from a future/next paycheck. A paycheck 'advance' is different than borrowing money from a bank.

But Ramsey is right -- he really doesn't 'teach' people about borrowing money because other than a 15 yr mortgage, he's against going into debt.
Well apparently we can add this to the ad-hoc list of Ramsey-approvable debt.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I know this thread is old, but I just can't resist pointing this out - I was really NOT expecting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i79IsiErro

3:32 "I don't borrow money and I don't teach people to borrow money"
5:00 "The company you work for, is there any chance they might give you a little advance on some of your pay?"

Interestingly enough I've processed some advances for employees before. Usually for salaried or hourly folks it's really rare and involves an emergency, it's still rare for our sales folks but easier to get done the more their revenue generation is

Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,252,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That's hilarious! My employer is the LAST PLACE I would look to borrow money.

You do understand that an advance is not borrowing money, right? When you borrow, you have to pay back. You dont pay back an advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance