Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:14 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Actually he does. I run payroll. When someone wants an advance, they get amount they are asking for, but I do deduct taxes. The following week they get their salary minus what I paid them in their advance.

Thats not borrowing. They are getting money they worked for.
It certainly is borrowing if the advance is more than the pro rata portion of the pay for the hours so far worked in that pay period, because at least some of the advance corresponds to hours not yet worked, and hence wages not yet earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times
All this argument about borrowing / not borrowing from pay as advance is just semantics. You get the same money at the end of the day, just a bit of it earlier. How you want to word it and categorize it is different in different people's minds.

One group will argue that there is no payback and long term interest on the money and hence the person does not go into a money-hole. Others will argue that at the end of the day there is not extra cash to buy more and it is the same as hiding some money under the pillow and taking out 2 weeks later, in that your total income / bank balance has not gone up.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Actually he does. I run payroll. When someone wants an advance, they get amount they are asking for, but I do deduct taxes. The following week they get their salary minus what I paid them in their advance.

I run lots of payroll, too. And we don't do it that way. And some employees pay back their advances over multiple paychecks.

This whole argument is silly. An employer is not required to give any advances. DR acknowledged this. That is why the employee must ask.

But I suppose any sort of mental gymnastics required is A-OK so long as one can keep their All-Knowing Guru up on His pedestal.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Payroll taxes are not withheld from advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Don't worry bro you have no idea of what you are talking about
A advance is still payroll. But with a screen name like yours I sort of expect you not having a idea

That's funny. Because when I OWNED my own company and had to do payroll I had employees asking for advances. I used to just do it cash and then give a note to the payroll lady. But after she blew a gasket and told me "You can't do that" I learned otherwise. A advance on your payroll gets taxes taken out. It's not a loan, it's a advance on payroll.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A advance is still payroll. But with a screen name like yours I sort of expect you not having a idea

That's funny. Because when I OWNED my own company and had to do payroll I had employees asking for advances. I used to just do it cash and then give a note to the payroll lady. But after she blew a gasket and told me "You can't do that" I learned otherwise. A advance on your payroll gets taxes taken out. It's not a loan, it's a advance on payroll.

It doesn't really matter how you processed or handled it. I will leaves this here, it clearly explains it

How employee salary advances work

Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:

Quote:
You didnt pay it back. You simply got paid up front for your work.
I've never done payroll myself, by my fathers construction company does advances often with their employees, and this is exactly how he does it. An advance is simply deducted from a future paycheck. The only thing that changes is the date on the paycheck.

When my dad first started he would give cash to his employees and then they would pay him back, which isn't an advance, or they would ask him to just deduct the hours from their pay, but his accountant got mad at him for doing that, and said it's not legal.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:20 AM

356 posts, read 302,358 times
Yes, most of the callers who celebrate getting out of debt are making very large incomes. Rarely do you hear about someone in huge debt who paid it off on a salary of $30k.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:24 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It doesn't really matter how you processed or handled it. I will leaves this here, it clearly explains it

How employee salary advances work
That is only one type of advance, or perhaps advance isn't the right word for the two types of situations.
In our company an advance is only up to the amount that you have already earned, you are only skipping the normal processing and wait times. If I get a cash payout advance along with my regular check on friday afternoon and decide to call in and quit monday morning there is no money I need to pay back, so it's not a 'loan' in that sense.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:29 PM

564 posts, read 873,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Yes, most of the callers who celebrate getting out of debt are making very large incomes. Rarely do you hear about someone in huge debt who paid it off on a salary of $30k.
I have heard many lower income people call in about being debt free. With that said, some callers were previously on the lower end of income and then took on second jobs to accelerate debt pay off.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
I guess that depends on what you consider large incomes. I hear many people calling in with HH incomes between $60-$100k. I'm not sure I would consider that a large income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance