Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,513,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
a lot of people get degrees in bull **** and a lot of people that go to college arent that smart
there are always exceptions but the number of hard working smart people who have graduated college and are working for min wage is very small
People go to college just because its a tradition and parents push for it. Most degrees are obselete and waste of time and money.

Lot of folks are better off and smart not going to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They do this by cramming as many people in one apartment as possible. I never see any illegals renting studio apartments around here. More like 3 generations under one roof. And they still have to work their butts off just to scrape by.
You need to sacrifice early to get the big rewards later. This goes for anyone not just Immigrants.

People would be much better off if they lived with a family under one roof then throwing money all rent money living alone.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You need to sacrifice early to get the big rewards later. This goes for anyone not just Immigrants.

People would be much better off if they lived with a family under one roof then throwing money all rent money living alone.
Most $300 studios are in the worst parts of Phoenix. But a roommate is nessary in todays age, this isn't the 50s. I would live as poor as possible and invent something.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Most $300 studios are in the worst parts of Phoenix. But a roommate is nessary in todays age, this isn't the 50s. I would live as poor as possible and invent something.
You can live a in upscale neighborhood and have bunch of people living together and your rent would be low.

It does not matter what the economy is doing. What matters is your economy and what your goals are.

In Houston, Texas. You can get a Studio for $400 a month in a good neighborhood. So put 4 people in there. That is $100 a month rent. That is how people become rich.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:37 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Uh, anybody heard of working overtime.....or getting a second job???

Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 AM

29,855 posts, read 24,968,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not all jobs offer overtime. I consider myself lucky to always have OT. Basically how you are able to actually save money around these parts...

Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM

4,543 posts, read 6,815,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
So many people are among the "working" poor today they can't even afford to rent a place to live while working for minimum wage!

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/2012-OOR-Housing-Wage-Map_0.pdf (broken link)

More info here.........
Out of Reach 2012: National Low Income Housing Coalition
I don't know. I just used the figure for my state and it worked out to $1,200 a month. If you're making minimum wage you're not living in a $1,200 a month rent, even in Connecticut. If it's just one person they would be looking at a $450 to $500 studio or a room. More realistically they would have a room mate.

I rent out my investment property for $1200 a month and that is the market rate for a 2 bedroom house with a large yard in southern Connecticut.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM

40,960 posts, read 49,272,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I rent out my investment property for $1200 a month and that is the market rate for a 2 bedroom house with a large yard in southern Connecticut.
What's funny will be the people who might call you greedy for charging so much rent. As someone who's owned a few, it's really not much of profit leasing homes. Some people just don't understand costs.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most people don't do that unless they have to pay certain bills and/or are just lazy.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,945,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You can live a in upscale neighborhood and have bunch of people living together and your rent would be low.

It does not matter what the economy is doing. What matters is your economy and what your goals are.

In Houston, Texas. You can get a Studio for $400 a month in a good neighborhood. So put 4 people in there. That is $100 a month rent. That is how people become rich.

Texas must have really relaxed rental requirements. In my area, you can only rent a studio or 1 bedroom with a max of 2 people (per bedroom). Unless something has changed- you'd be shi* out of luck to squeeze 4 people in there (legally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance