Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

In response to the person who wanted to know why one person would rent a two-bedroom apartment, if they're paying their rent, what's it to you? I would get a two-bedroom if it was cheaper in the long run than a one-bedroom or if I lived away from family (which I want to do), so they have their own room when they visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You are lucky. This is quite an unusual situation to be in.
Actually, not really. In Phoenix, AZ, I have seen quite a few two-bedroom apartments on Craigslist cheaper than or comparable in price to one-bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Look at the states with the lowest COL. Those would be Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Alabama, Missouri, Michigan, Tennessee etc. Rents are all very low in those states.
It's harder to find decent jobs in these locations though, unless maybe you move into one of the large cities. If you do so, be sure to watch the neighborhood you move into. I actually love the Great Lakes area and would consider it if I didn't hate winter something nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Totally and completely not true. I have had a car, apartment, etc for far under what a minimum wage job would have paid. Here is a thread a started last year which totally debunks that it cannot be done.

Living below the poverty line.
It's doable but one in this situation may have to do some looking if they live in a place where people are anal about income requirements (where I live, a lot of apartment complexes want their applicants to make three times the rent in income first. And this city has a ten-year plan to end homelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Obviously you need a roommate if you are going to try this. But what surprised me is some of the cheapest states are not in the south but the Midwest.
True but the lack of decent jobs and the high cost of food will eat away all of that savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You won't afford your own apartment on minimum wage.. your only option is to rent a room in a house.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That depends where you are, but it would be tough anywhere. Here the minimum wage is $9.04, which should qualify a person for rent at about
$500/month. There are apartments for that, if you don't mind a tiny studio in a sketchy area. Definitely makes more sense to get a roommate and share a place for $800-$1,000.
It can be tough to live with roommates. Some magazines are full of confessions stories about roommate horror stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What most people don't understand is the importance of an education and learning a skill when they are young. I have a nephew who dropped out of school at the age of about 16 and now at 28 all he can find is crap work.

There are better jobs out there but so many don't put out the effort to increase their value and skill to get those jobs. They will always be minimum wage people.

Yes I know, this does not apply to everyone. Sometimes bad things happen, but it does apply to many or most.
I went to college the first time in quite a lucrative field right out of high school and I'm sad to say it did me no good after my first job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh, anybody heard of working overtime.....or getting a second job???
My job doesn't have overtime (not that I need it). Careful what you recommend to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not all jobs offer overtime. I consider myself lucky to always have OT. Basically how you are able to actually save money around these parts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Most people don't do that unless they have to pay certain bills and/or are just lazy.
lmfao. If there was a second job to be found I would be working it. It was hard enough finding this temp one.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Actually, not really. In Phoenix, AZ, I have seen quite a few two-bedroom apartments on Craigslist cheaper than or comparable in price to one-bedrooms.
That would suggest there's an oversupply of 2BR apartment in Phoenix. I wouldn't expect that situation to last for long. It's definitely not the norm.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
lmfao. If there was a second job to be found I would be working it. It was hard enough finding this temp one.
Never give up finding a 2nd job. You will land one eventually You could be waiting tables and earning tips.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most on minimum wage qualify for lots of different programs and hand outs , at least here in nyc.

(scratching head - heartbreak of psoriasis)

A childless adult working full time at minimum wage usually earns too much to qualify for anything except Section 8, and even that is difficult to get and takes years at a minimum.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I don't follow why all the recent articles inferring that someone making minimum wage should be able to afford a two bedroom apartment. And 'afford' seems to mean that the rent is 30% of their income or less.

A lot of people start their working life at minimum wage, I certainly did. But I never though that entitled me to have my own 2 bedroom home. All it did was inspire me to earn more to achieve the lifestyle I wanted. If the data show it takes 100 hours of minimum wage to afford a 2 bedroom home, you have a few choices

1. Get a higher paying job
2. Work more hours
3. Get cheaper housing, perhaps a studio
4. Get a roommate
etc

no where on the list should be
1. Raise minimum wage to the point where 30% of the income will pay for a 2 bedroom home
2. Lower the cost of 2 bedroom homes so a minimum wage earner can afford it

Bottom line, if you can't afford the lifestyle you want, why do I have to (via taxes)?

You forgot

5. Lower the regulatory barriers which restrict the supply of housing and make it unaffordable

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh, anybody heard of working overtime.....or getting a second job???

Minimum wage employers tend to be allergic to overtime, especially where corporate bean counters are involved.

When I delivered pizzas one week I worked 48 hours and the manager made sure I never worked any overtime anytime after that. (I managed to get in a lot of hours early in the week, then I was needed on the peak volume days of Friday and Saturday.) Overtime messes up the labor costs which bean counters require to be within a specified range. (It's also bad when labor costs are "too low" because that usually means that customer service is being shortchanged, which reduces sales in the long run.)

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You can live a in upscale neighborhood and have bunch of people living together and your rent would be low.

It does not matter what the economy is doing. What matters is your economy and what your goals are.

In Houston, Texas. You can get a Studio for $400 a month in a good neighborhood. So put 4 people in there. That is $100 a month rent. That is how people become rich.

You MIGHT be able to live in an upscale neighborhood and have a bunch of people living together.

This is actually unlawful in many communities, which have limits on "unrelated occupancy" (often three, sometimes two). It's often not allowed by many landlords; some will let you do it while charging you extra rent (which kinda negates the idea of doing it for low rent); some allow it without additional rent. In upscale communities, some neighbors may object, and report you to either the local government andor your landlord.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Funny how immigrants (legal & illegal) can come here, work their azz off, live humbly and pay their rent.
Many of them live in conditions not much better then the ones they left as well. The US has one of the highest GDPs on the planet, we should not have people living 3 families to a house.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage employers tend to be allergic to overtime, especially where corporate bean counters are involved.

When I delivered pizzas one week I worked 48 hours and the manager made sure I never worked any overtime anytime after that. (I managed to get in a lot of hours early in the week, then I was needed on the peak volume days of Friday and Saturday.) Overtime messes up the labor costs which bean counters require to be within a specified range. (It's also bad when labor costs are "too low" because that usually means that customer service is being shortchanged, which reduces sales in the long run.)

Actually "bean counters" dont really care. Its usually someone in operations that makes the call to cut hours. "Bean counters" normally only concern themselves with properly reporting a companies financial state, and the tax related "bean counters", also concern themselves with achieving favorable taxation.

However, as long as Ive worked in the field of "bean counting", Ive never once seen one going ballistic about OT. I have seen managers and CEOs go crazy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance