Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,093 times

Advertisements

Is it true that bank accounts (checking and savings) do not show on consumer credit reports and are not used in determining your credit score or average length of accounts?

The last time I opened a bank account I saw that the bank had a list of all my open accounts, so it is getting tracked somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,572,973 times
generally when you open a deposit account (checking or savings) they won't pull your credit, what they WILL pull is what's called a CheckSystems report. This is similar to to a credit check but only shows how many deposit accounts you have opened recently, any overdrafts or debts owed to banks and credit unions from these overdrafts. Many banks will deny you an account if you have opened more then three accounts in the last 90 days.

I will caution that SOME banks/credit unions will pull a hard inquiry for a deposit account and this will have a temporary negative impact on your score. Call and ask to be sure

Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM

428 posts, read 900,434 times
Your checking and savings account dont appear on your credit store as long as you keep them in good standing.. However if you go into the negative and then choose not to pay your negative balance then youre reported to Chex Systems and possibly reported to collection agency or the Loss Prevention area of the bank and then it could go on your credit report. Ive never heard of bankings pulling credit reporst to open a deposit account but it doesnt surprise me if this true. I would just ask to make sure.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM

643 posts, read 2,385,093 times
Sometimes banks and credit unions do hard pull when you open an account to see if you qualify for credit cars, loan refinancing, and things like that. Even applying for a cell phone can cause a hard pull. What annoyed me is when Bank of America did a hard pull when I called to ask about refinancing my existing mortgage with them. Thanks for clarifying what ChexSystems does.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times
FYI when I opened my ING Electric Orange checking account a few years ago they did a credit pull due to a 'overdraft line of credit' that gets opened with the account. Didn't bother me, but I did notice it as a hard inquiry on my credit.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Is it true that bank accounts (checking and savings) do not show on consumer credit reports and are not used in determining your credit score or average length of accounts?

The last time I opened a bank account I saw that the bank had a list of all my open accounts, so it is getting tracked somehow.
We have never had any bank account or investment show for credit score except for our credit union from work -- and that was only when we took a loan against our savings for our daughter's summer college tuition rather than take it out of savings. [We paid off the loan in 6 mos. from pay. ] That showed up as a loan. I never understood how it should -- it was our own money and no interest to borrow it. Go figure.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,572,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We have never had any bank account or investment show for credit score except for our credit union from work -- and that was only when we took a loan against our savings for our daughter's summer college tuition rather than take it out of savings. [We paid off the loan in 6 mos. from pay. ] That showed up as a loan. I never understood how it should -- it was our own money and no interest to borrow it. Go figure.
Secured loans like that are a great way to establish a positive tradeline when you are just starting out or rebuilding, and no one will give you a traditional loan. It's how I started out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance