Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This^^
It is a square metal piece with like 2 divider lines {very thin, barely there} about gold-ish in color, usually on the Left above the numbers. I just got my first one. The numbers are flat also. I have a couple cards I know will be renewed about to die, so I should be geting a new chip n pin card for those too. One dies in 3 months, making me nervous here! Usually I have the new card by now.

They must all be converted by Dec 2015, I think. SO I should get a couple cards ,and new bank cards. too.

So far though, every one is taking my card as a swipe card, I should start asking about the chip n pin usage!

Keep in mind this is thread is almost 3 years old. I think the original question was referring to the RFID chips used for contactless transactions. You basically wave your card over a RFID reader. This was mainly for convenience.

The new "chip" that most are talking about this year are the EMV cards. Better known as "chip and pin" or "chip and signature". Using a smart chip/card rather than RFID.

The big date merchants/banks are talking about is October 1st. And it isn't a drop dead date for EMV implementation or anything. It's simply the date when the liability shift occurs. In essence, on 10/1, those that accept card payments without EMV-based equipment will be liable for losses should the transaction turn out to be fraudulent. So there is a huge push by merchants to implement EMV to avoid that liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. Banks still do have tellers, you know.

Other than when I'm traveling internationally, I rarely if ever use ATMs to withdraw cash. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I've done it in the U.S. It's been a couple of years at least.
What if the place to which you travel doesn't have a branch of your bank?

And when you travel internationally, how do you get cash then?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Old thread, but I destroy the RFID chip in all my cards. Easiest method is a hole punch (like you use to punch holes in paper) right through the chip. I occasionally get odd looks using the card, but no one has rejected it yet.

Mike

Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Go into a dark room and shine a very bright flashlight through the card, blocking the stray light out. If there is a chip you will be able to tell, even if it's embedded in the card so well it doesn't even make the card bulge out or otherwise show.

To destroy it, microwave for 3-5 seconds.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post

What do you mean how do I get cash when I travel internationally? My post that you quoted stated specifically that that's when I use ATMs. And as with using ATMs domestically, you don't need to use one affiliated with your bank.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
What do you mean how do I get cash when I travel internationally? My post that you quoted stated specifically that that's when I use ATMs. And as with using ATMs domestically, you don't need to use one affiliated with your bank.
Oh never mind. I thought you were the poster to whom I asked the original question. He said he doesn't have a debit card period.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post

There is such a thing as "Planning ahead".

I travel. Domestic and internationally.
No ATM card. No debit card. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance