Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

yep, more and more companies want to keep staff to a minimum by having you do on your own what they used to.

here in new york every tax return has to be entered electronically. they used to have countless people typing in your info. now you do what they used to maintain a staff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep, more and more companies want to keep staff to a minimum by having you do on your own what they used to.

here in new york every tax return has to be entered electronically. they used to have countless people typing in your info. now you do what they used to maintain a staff to do.
You don't have the option to mail in a paper tax return in NY?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I know about my job (here in CT), there are certain reports that are now MANDATORY electronic filing. They won't accept paper returns and checks mailed for payment.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No you're not. The teller is paid a salary, the bank pays her the same to stand behind the wicket, whether she gives you your balance, of tells you that she won't give your your balance unless you pay her a dollar and argues with you and takes your guff. It's the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
yes but it discourages people from making the make waste resources to do something that the customers can do on their own
Jtur88's response is disingenuous at best, and Bxlefty23 understood that. Sure, if we limit our vision to that one instance - the teller standing at the window talking to the customer - then the bank has saved nothing. But in fact their policy is motivating thousands and thousands of people to check their balances online rather than in person, and the bank can then employ fewer tellers. What could be the objection to checking one's balance online, unless one is not connected to the internet, and that's a very small percentage of people nowdays. Even those people can check their balance by automated telephone response, and normally avoid any charge for doing so.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
nope, no more. as long as you dont do your returns by hand they have to be e-filed. i guess you can cancel your broad band service but then again im not sure programs like turbo will allow you to file without updates and broadband.

The state of New York now requires you to efile your state tax return if you meet all three of these criteria:
1. You use computer software to prepare your tax return
2. Your software supports electronic filing (efiling)
3. You have broadband internet access

Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you have so little money why the heck do you have accounts at two different banks?

Issue number one is ridiculous. No bank should charge a fee for such a simple, basic service.

Issue number two is pretty standard. My bank has a sign posted at each teller window stating that funds deposited today may not be available until th enext business day.

If you need to use funds the same day you get them in order to buy something just cash the check or spend a dollar and get a money order. Or, go ahead and write the check but wait until after 3:00 (or whatever time your bank closes the books) so it can't be presented until after your deposit posts.
Today people need to have more than one bank account. I have seen people kicked out of one bank over some small bounced checks and then locked out of the banking system per check systems.. No I'm not talking about a person who bounces many checks.. Always have a backup..

Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 AM

more than 1 bank is always a good idea.

while banks are covered under fdic there is no time limit on when you may actually get your money back.

so far bank failures have been transparent with a new sign going up the next day. get a good number of failures though and there is no telling when you will have access to your money again.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
While I think the first one is ridiculous, I do get it from the point of taking up their time.
They are there to service the customer. Without customers, they don't have any other work to do, period. Any bank that charges me to get my balance from a teller will NEVER have me for a customer. That said, I don't know why on Earth anyone would need to ask a teller for their balance. Part of being financially responsible is KNOWING how much money you have.

As for the other point, my bank does the same thing - allowing you to access a certain percentage of a deposited check while waiting for the check to clear. I actually consider this to be a courtesy service that you should appreciate, as they never used to do this. Years ago, if you deposited a check, regardless of who wrote the check, you had to wait for it to clear, and it used to take much longer than it does today. A check deposited on Monday used to take a good 4-5 business days to clear, and you didn't get access to any of it - you just had to wait, period. So enjoy using that $1,000 while you wait for the rest to clear, and for God's sake, start an emergency fund Howard!

Last edited by treasurekidd; 04-22-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 AM

ever think they may not want your business?

sometimes businesses want to fire customers. customers that cost to much to service and bring little to the party can be causualties.

that way the business is more available to cultivate those that are responsible not only for bringing in the lions share of the profits but more potential as well. when a business hasnt got enough resources to handle everyone equally it has to perform triage..

in business its quite common to have 80% of all the profits done with only 20% of the customer base and you really have to cater to that 20% as well as any new customers you target or someone else will. .

most businesses today cant treat all customers equal.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
I have long advocated keeping money split between two different banks. It prevents problems from turning into catastrophes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance