Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 15,708 times

Advertisements

I tried to make arrangements with the lawyers that were handling the account to pay them back but they refused any type of arrangement. I owe them $20k. I just received a letter saying that there is a judgement against me and I was sued.

I am unemployed at the moment but I am very worried about my bank accounts. I have checking accounts in three banks. Can they levy all three accounts? Will I receive a notice of the levy before it happens?
And when they put a levy on the account, can I close that account and open a new one in another bank? I am expecting my income tax check and I am afraid they will take my money before i can withdraw it.

I am thinking of doing a debt settlement with this account. Do you think they will accept to work with a company for me to be able to pay off this debt? Many of my friends are suggesting I do bankrupcy but I dont want to go that route. i do owe the money and I want to pay it off, i just dont have it all at one shot to pay them.

My other question is... i had a little bit of money from my last job and I paid off smaller credit cards I owed. Could I be in trouble because of this?

I appreciate very much all the help anyone can give me on answering these questions. I am so nervous about this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance