Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM

75 posts, read 282,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I'm not saying it's the norm, but what I'm saying is that it is very possible that someone with aspergers can gain degrees because a lot of learning is self directed while being unable to hold a job because many times a job's central focus is working with others.

You have a point, but I tend to give people the benefit of doubt. This lady could have really tried to succeed but still failed. Sad.
I agree, and personal experiences do not give someone the ability to judge the level of her condition.

It's not that difficult to imagine social behavior in an Asperger's patient that would disqualify him or her from virtually every job possible. Interacting with others is not optional in a workplace setting, and an individual who cannot interact with others will not be an asset to the company.

With that said, the morality of what she chose to do is debatable, but I can understand her viewpoint, as well. Maybe she was hoping additional learning would make her more employable and did not want to cut her future short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,162,252 times
So sad. There's not much more to the story we know about but I did work with individuals who had varying degrees of various mental disabilities. Being in a school environment and in a workplace are two different areas. She might have had the best intentions when she was pursing her degrees but the illness rears its ugly head in the most important of decisions.Those with mental disabilities have higher rates of divorce, bankruptcy, financial issues, unemployment, etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,421,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
As someone with Aspergers, I'm still not buying it.

In college, many fellow students I knew also had it (to varying degrees.. this was an Engineering program after all).. they still did fine after graduation. Maybe they were a little disadvantaged compared to a normal person with the exact same qualifications but it wasn't so much of a disadvantage that could qualify as a disability.

I don't know of anybody with Aspergers who has gotten multiple degrees and/or advanced degrees in employable or technical subjects (i.e. Science, Engineering, Math, Business, Finance, etc.) and has lived in poverty for the rest of their lives, never being able to start a career due to the disorder. Anyone who has the aptitude to get those degrees but claims their disorder is holding their employment back is only looking for a big fat excuse.
I agree. I've never been formally diagnosed, but that is only because doctors I've spoken to do not feel it would do me any good to have it on my medical record at my age (mid to late 30s) and insurance wouldn't pay for any related cognitive behavior therapy anyway. One doc put it best: "It will only do you harm to have it on your record, so we're not going to diagnose you...but know that you almost certainly have it, as in I'd say 99% that you have Asperger's."

I've never had trouble holding down a high-paying job.

I do have trouble with social interaction, but there are occupations where this is much less of an issue...such as the STEM fields. I'm in I.T.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times
Quote:
For people with Aspergers, if they have the capability to finish school, then they have the capability to work.. I don't see Aspergers as an excuse to discharge loans if the person is able to graduate fine.
And your expertise with Aspergers is exactly what? Have you known anyone with Aspergers? How severer or mild was their Aspergers?

Many can learn in the structured environment of school, but because of many issues, including social interactions, just can't deal with the work environment.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,765,610 times
Everyone should have the opportunity to discharge loans since they didn't get a job, Aspergers or not. Plenty of people don't have this syndrome and they can't find work either. Don't blame this story on the A.S. person blame it on the people who granted the decision.

(I have Asperger's, btw).

Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,765,610 times
Quote:
For people with Aspergers, if they have the capability to finish school, then they have the capability to work.. I don't see Aspergers as an excuse to discharge loans if the person is able to graduate fine.

A.S. is not an excuse it's a way of being, a fact of life, just because you "don't see it" doesn't mean anything nor change any of our circumstances in dealing with it.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM

689 posts, read 2,171,178 times
Quote:
For people with Aspergers, if they have the capability to finish school, then they have the capability to work...
Not necessarily. A successful worker needs to do more than possess the theoretical knowledge of the field. He needs to get to work every day on time, cooperate with co-workers, file reports on projects or activities, even punch a time clock, which are not necessarily things that a Aspie can grasp the importance of, and form the habit of consistently carrying out without disrupting the workplace.

Think of yourself as an employer. Would an aspie fit into every job category in your shop? What if the boss is a stickler for having everything done by process and flow chart, and he has an Aspie who analyzes the task and finishes the project his own way, quicker and more efficiently than the routine that fits most worker, and doesn't see the importance of leaving a paper trail of how he got there, which he retains in his head.

Aspies are notoriously poor self-starters. They are not gifted at guessing what you want done, so they have to wait until you tell them, very exactly and specifically, what you want them to do and how you want them to do it. That works fine in the academic world, but it is not what employers are looking for in the corporate empires.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,878,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just read this article and I"m kinda unsure how I feel about it.

On one hand, I think its really nice of them to forgive this debt since this person obviously cannot hold job.

But on the other hand, that's a LOT of education to complete, for free and which will be essentially wasted. And due to the person's age when they started (60s) surely they should have known by then that they had issues in working. I mean the paper might get you in the door but its the aptitude and ability that will keep you there.

Thoughts?

Student loans discharged because debtor has Asperger's - baltimoresun.com
this is incredibly offensive. the person took the money and spent the money. they should pay the money back.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,185,152 times
is it just me or is asperger's the new "cool" thing to have? the next adhd...

Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,469,551 times
I would like to have my loans forgiven because of my depression. Not having to pay them back will magically make my depression disappear.

Last edited by yayoi; 06-06-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance