Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times

Advertisements

Just read this article and I"m kinda unsure how I feel about it.

On one hand, I think its really nice of them to forgive this debt since this person obviously cannot hold job.

But on the other hand, that's a LOT of education to complete, for free and which will be essentially wasted. And due to the person's age when they started (60s) surely they should have known by then that they had issues in working. I mean the paper might get you in the door but its the aptitude and ability that will keep you there.

Thoughts?

Student loans discharged because debtor has Asperger's - baltimoresun.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
For people with Aspergers, if they have the capability to finish school, then they have the capability to work.. I don't see Aspergers as an excuse to discharge loans if the person is able to graduate fine.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
For people with Aspergers, if they have the capability to finish school, then they have the capability to work.. I don't see Aspergers as an excuse to discharge loans if the person is able to graduate fine.
Completing some classes is different compared to holding a job. One is something that you pay to participate in, the other is something that someone else pays you to participate in.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Completing some classes is different compared to holding a job. One is something that you pay to participate in, the other is something that someone else pays you to participate in.
I dont understand your point. So, because someone is paying you you can't do it?

You're the MD, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I don't think aspergers makes you stupid. She must have realized, at some point, that those degrees were not going to help her, yet she continued to pursue multiple degrees? I wouldn't have discharged the debt.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
I've never heard of Asperger syndrome before, but it's apparently a childhood disease, rather than something that manifested itself due to old age. I could see if someone is of sound body and mind, started and completed school, then got something like alzheimer's, which is preventing them from holding a job. Then I can see justifying discharging student loan debts, but since this was obviously a preexisting condition, it's not fair to allow this person to take out massive amounts of debt and just walk away from it. They knew they would never be able to hold a job, they should be held accountable for there actions.

If enough people are allowed to get away with this, the end result will be less student loan money available. Also making it tougher to apply. Even smoked? Yes, well you could get cancer and die, we'll never get out money back, sorry loan DENIED, next.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I've never heard of Asperger syndrome before,
Edit: Found it

DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Aspergers

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

Its worth noting that it also says:

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

So its quite possible the woman could not, as she claimed, hold down a job. However, I dont think that excuses her from obtaining all those loans as she was no doubt perfectly capable of understanding the implications of accepting those loans.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I appreciate her will and drive to succeed on her own and become independent. I don't appreciate her lack of foresight into whether or not she could hold a job regardless of what degree she has. I mean COME ON! Two masters, a bachelors, and an associates degree? Its quite obvious she was going to school because she enjoyed it and/or it calmed her. How many jobs require two masters?

I only can see two possible scenarios. 1) She went to school and obtained her associates, applied for jobs and failed. Decided to get bachlors and applied for jobs and failed. Then went for multiples masters hoping it would give her the skill set to hold a job but it failed. OR 2) She went to school continuously without any thought about what jobs were available or how she would perform with her diagnosed social disorder. BOTH are reckless. She should have been extra careful than most people.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
As someone with Aspergers, I'm still not buying it.

In college, many fellow students I knew also had it (to varying degrees.. this was an Engineering program after all).. they still did fine after graduation. Maybe they were a little disadvantaged compared to a normal person with the exact same qualifications but it wasn't so much of a disadvantage that could qualify as a disability.

I don't know of anybody with Aspergers who has gotten multiple degrees and/or advanced degrees in employable or technical subjects (i.e. Science, Engineering, Math, Business, Finance, etc.) and has lived in poverty for the rest of their lives, never being able to start a career due to the disorder. Anyone who has the aptitude to get those degrees but claims their disorder is holding their employment back is only looking for a big fat excuse.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
As someone with Aspergers, I'm still not buying it.

In college, many fellow students I knew also had it (to varying degrees.. this was an Engineering program after all).. they still did fine after graduation. Maybe they were a little disadvantaged compared to a normal person with the exact same qualifications but it wasn't so much of a disadvantage that could qualify as a disability.

I don't know of anybody with Aspergers who has gotten multiple degrees and/or advanced degrees in employable or technical subjects (i.e. Science, Engineering, Math, Business, Finance, etc.) and has lived in poverty for the rest of their lives, never being able to start a career due to the disorder. Anyone who has the aptitude to get those degrees but claims their disorder is holding their employment back is only looking for a big fat excuse.
I'm not saying it's the norm, but what I'm saying is that it is very possible that someone with aspergers can gain degrees because a lot of learning is self directed while being unable to hold a job because many times a job's central focus is working with others.

You have a point, but I tend to give people the benefit of doubt. This lady could have really tried to succeed but still failed. Sad.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I dont understand your point. So, because someone is paying you you can't do it?

You're the MD, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I don't think aspergers makes you stupid. She must have realized, at some point, that those degrees were not going to help her, yet she continued to pursue multiple degrees? I wouldn't have discharged the debt.
I didn't say it made you stupid. Read my post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance