Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,758,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
is it just me or is asperger's the new "cool" thing to have? the next adhd...

It might be but that doesn't make it invalid for the people that have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,180,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It might be but that doesn't make it invalid for the people that have it.
i didn't mean to imply that

Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,132,559 times
Sorry, but this is crap. And 340K isn't just a little bit of debt. I really don't care of someone's circumstances, if you took the classes and signed on the dotted line that you'd pay the money back then it's your responsibility to do so. Work at McDonald's, I don't care what you do, but you find a way to make payments on the debt. 340K is so much debt I doubt this woman ever had any intention of paying it back. I could have gone to school to become a brain surgeon and not gotten in that much debt.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,758,998 times
Quote:
i didn't mean to imply that
Okay, but some people have said along the lines, because everybody's getting their kid diagnosed with ADHD, it's not 'legit' all the way around. No harm, no foul.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
recently there was a case where a parent co signed for the student loans of their child and either during or after school, the child passed away. the parent was trying to get out of payment and got publicity and ultimately i believe the bank gave in. i found that very offensive also. i understand that the situation for the parent is a terrible one. just losing your child is terrible and being stuck with the bills piles on the injury. but ultimately, the child took the money and the parent signed off on the loan. the money was spent and services were received. why is the bank obligated to take a hit on that?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,180,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Okay, but some people have said along the lines, because everybody's getting their kid diagnosed with ADHD, it's not 'legit' all the way around. No harm, no foul.
my idea was that this article/situation would probably cause more people to claim they have the disorder. anyway this woman was 63, broke, stressed, and not too bright. asperger's or not, realistically how much longer is she going to live? you might as well discharge the loans at that point since they will be discharged upon her death in a few years anyway. i don't mean to be harsh but why the heck would a company loan hundreds of thousands of dollars to someone in their fifties attending an unaccredited school? there's no way the student is going to live to pay that money back, even in the unlikely event that they do go on to be a successful lawyer or whatever.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,452,898 times
Wow. Cool. I don't have even close to that amount. I wonder what kind of disorder I can find out I have?....nah...I think I will just keep my job, and pay the man.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,394,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And your expertise with Aspergers is exactly what? Have you known anyone with Aspergers? How severer or mild was their Aspergers?

Many can learn in the structured environment of school, but because of many issues, including social interactions, just can't deal with the work environment.
My first few years of work were filled with lessons learned the hard way due to my difficulties with social interactions. I eventually started taking notes on how my popular co-workers behaved and tried to behave like them. My work persona is fake, fake, fake. It's all a show. But it's a mask I have to put on in order to deal with an environment that is much more difficult for me to cope with than for others. It can be done but it's not easy, for sure.

Quote:
is it just me or is asperger's the new "cool" thing to have? the next adhd...
I'd give it up in a heartbeat. Want it?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,419,329 times
re: Asperger's being "cool." It does seem like there is much more talk about "where people are on the spectrum" than just a couple years ago. I hear about it quite often from people working in education.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,886,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
recently there was a case where a parent co signed for the student loans of their child and either during or after school, the child passed away. the parent was trying to get out of payment and got publicity and ultimately i believe the bank gave in. i found that very offensive also. i understand that the situation for the parent is a terrible one. just losing your child is terrible and being stuck with the bills piles on the injury. but ultimately, the child took the money and the parent signed off on the loan. the money was spent and services were received. why is the bank obligated to take a hit on that?
Student loan debt is forgiven/wiped out in this particular scenario, it states this on the loan papers, co-signer or not. My daughter passed away during her second semester of college, and the loans were completely forgiven. As it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance