Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times

Advertisements

Updating/upgrading my house. I save money then spend it on a project. By the time I get everything done that I think I want to do, it'll be time to start over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Another one is living in California.. most of the places that I can tolerate to live in have a high cost of living.. but most of the cost come in housing and I don't really mind downsizing the housing. I'd rather pay $500 a month to rent a room to live in California than pay $500 a month to rent a mansion in North Dakota.
And we in the Dakota want to keep it that way!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
my wife

Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,264 times
Quote:
Whole Foods

I don't mind driving a beater and renting cheaply but I must get my organic food.
Haha, I'm the opposite. I buy up the $5 frozen meal specials at Vons every Friday, but as someone who's lived through some less than ideal housing situations, I don't believe that housing is an area that one should be stingy about.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Haha, I'm the opposite. I buy up the $5 frozen meal specials at Vons every Friday, but as someone who's lived through some less than ideal housing situations, I don't believe that housing is an area that one should be stingy about.
Housing is my biggest expense besides income taxes so I get the cheapest options I can find in a neighborhood with a below average crime rate (even if it means sharing an apartment or house. All the efforts of clipping coupons, cutting back food, etc. goes out the window when your housing expense goes up another $300 a month.

But I'm open to hear the details of how your experiences deter you from cutting back on housing.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,264 times
Quote:
Housing is my biggest expense besides income taxes so I get the cheapest options I can find in a neighborhood with a below average crime rate (even if it means sharing an apartment or house. All the efforts of clipping coupons, cutting back food, etc. goes out the window when your housing expense goes up another $300 a month.

But I'm open to hear the details of how your experiences deter you from cutting back on housing.
Well, I lived with my parents until I was 25, which was a good 3 years after I should have already left. After that, I rented a room at my cousin's house, and while it was cheap for a very nice place, things started to get awkward and tense more often as the months went by. I moved back with my parents after they had already downsized to a smaller home, and ended up sharing a room with my brother until I was 27.

When I finally got my first apartment, it was about 45 minutes from work, because it was the best place I could afford at the time. 2 months after I moved there, I got rear-ended on my way home from work. Eventually, I was able to improve my monthly cash flow enough to live in a nice apartment 5 minutes from work.

So while my experience was admittedly not terrible (the car wreck was just horrible luck, I know), I feel that finding a nice place to live in the right location provides a quality of life improvement well worth the money you pay for it.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
None.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Hookers and blow...
Now THAT made me laugh...

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM

75 posts, read 282,264 times
Spending on medical bills and education loans.

I also believe a better living location greatly improves emotional heath.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
When I rented in town, restaurants. Now that I have a dream house in the woods, artwork when visiting out West/horseback riding vacations, and charity and multiple dog adoptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance