Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I found that to be true when I worked retail..., but I worked retail in very girly departments. In my life among friends and family I've only seen in it the men.

I think this is a knife that cuts both ways...
I agree. It's definitely not just women. It's just that men and women blow money on different things, so each notices the way the other gender blows money but not their own gender's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
That kind of is not possible. You can be delaying gratification keeping all your money in account even though you need to spend it or if you spend you won't be putting as much up as for me saving tons of money is just as gratifying as spending it on an outfit.

So which do you chose, you will be unhappy now matter the outcome.
WTF. Not everything in life is an all-or-nothing proposition. It's possible to spend and still put something aside in savings and investments on a regular basis.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Reminds me of an old joke, updated for inflation:
A man was talking about his problems to his psychiatrist, saying he has a duplex in Manhattan along with a summer place in the Hamptons, drives a Jaguar, and sends his daughter to the best private school in the city. His family also goes to Europe every year. Dr. says "what are you complaining about, those things are wonderful!" "I was just getting to that, Doctor. I only make $800 a week!"
This actually perfect. A lot of people would say that this guy is overspending and he should cut back. But in reality, you should choose your life and then support that life. People who travel, drive fancy cars and send their children to good schools don't do it by making $20/hr. He should raise his rate to $60/hr. Choosing to increase your income is a better alternative.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
That kind of is not possible. You can be delaying gratification keeping all your money in account even though you need to spend it or if you spend you won't be putting as much up as for me saving tons of money is just as gratifying as spending it on an outfit.

So which do you chose, you will be unhappy now matter the outcome.
no, you make two target savings goals, minimum and maximum(that's what i do)...meeting somewhere in the middle or higher end. even if you hit the minimum, you should still be satisfied. chances are, at least you're saving something unlike many of people who just blow their money on useless **** when they've got bills to pay. you can't generalize a whole population and then say that you're happy either way.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree. It's definitely not just women. It's just that men and women blow money on different things, so each notices the way the other gender blows money but not their own gender's.
Right. Go to the automotive forum and see what men blow their money on.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I get more gratification when the amount in my savings goes up a notch than I do when I buy something.
New pair of high leather boots: rates maybe a 6
Reaching another "thousand" mark in my bank account: rates an easy 9

Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM

224 posts, read 495,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I get more gratification when the amount in my savings goes up a notch than I do when I buy something.
Agreed, agreed.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
For me the boots would get a 10 as long as there are more marks for the bank account than shoes being bought. If Iv' been good I deserve shoes.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Similar way of thinking except:

1) I invest most of the money I save (conservatively) and put a small portion in savings.

2) I look at my total liquid net worth and think "how long can I survive off of that without a job?" instead of simply liking having reached another "thousand". The money saved is my safety net. I celebrate every time I acquired enough wealth to last me another month (or year) without a job.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalinnorcal View Post
Agreed, agreed.

I totally agree with this, but what if I want to go out and I feel like I need new clothes and fix my hair or whatever. That is 200-300 dollars right there. Then I miss my money goal. But if I do not look right, I will not go out. I do like to socialize and look right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance