Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times

Advertisements

It's really odd that in all your posts you say things like: ... quote emergency ....

instead of ... "emergency".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
It is not like I would never keep money in an account. My goal is get around 5000-6000 dollars. I am single btw no kids. I use to have way more than that just sitting there and there was so many other avenues I wanted to do with it. But after that is wasting especially if you are creative. You can use your extra quote emergency for other things and investment that will go better in the long term.
Seems to me that you just do not want to label part of your savings for emergencies. That is fine as long as you do not get in a situation where you lose money on an investment because you have to cash it in for unexpected living expenses. That is what most of us mean by an "emergency fund."

Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM

198 posts, read 484,551 times
I definitely see this type of behavior when it comes to purchasing automobiles. They either scrimp together enough money to buy a piece of crap that's always in he shop or they buy new and trade it in every few years only focusing on the monthly payment.

I was able save and pay cash for a Honda accord that I drive payment free for 8 years. All the while paying myself a payment each month so in 8 years I'm able to pay cash again for the next car.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
05 They realize that money is an unlimited, recirculated resource in the US. Running out of money is like running out of water. You can increase and decrease the flow as you wish.

HowTF does a burger flipper increase the flow of money?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
The point is if you invest your money into what you believe in then a person would not even have to fall into this trap or just try for disability

HowTF does a burger flipper even have any money to invest after paying rent and student loan payments?

According to Mortgage News Daily, half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing.

Spending at least half your income on housing is a very effective way to remain poor.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Better yet, go to the library, rent a book and read up on mutual funds. Think of this fund as "your retirement account or "go to hell fund", just in case things get really bad, you will have a secondary fallback in addition to your e-fund. Again, this account is not to be used to buy clothes, gifts, nail polish, cars, trucks or airplane tickets to Tahiti!

I live on a poverty level income. Exactly what good would reading up on mutual funds do me?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HowTF does a burger flipper even have any money to invest after paying rent and student loan payments?

According to Mortgage News Daily, half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing.

Spending at least half your income on housing is a very effective way to remain poor.
How does a burger flipper get money to invest?

Presumably the burger flipper took on those student loans to get a degree... So they could get a better job... So they wouldn't have to flip burgers anymore.

That is what this former burger flipper did!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
How does a burger flipper get money to invest?

Presumably the burger flipper took on those student loans to get a degree... So they could get a better job... So they wouldn't have to flip burgers anymore.

That is what this former burger flipper did!
Make chicken sandwiches and get a scholarship;

Chick-fil-A

McDonald's and Burger King also offer scholarships. For some, you do not need to be a burger flipper.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Oh absolutely there are people with this mindset.

You could go to the 'hood in my town at any day and see Lexus', Benz's, plenty of high end smartphones and designer clothes and see these owners standing on the bus stop, and going to broken down, rickety sham homes.

There are always people with messed up priorities. They get a little cash and spend it all. Someone a long time ago told me the difference between the rich and the poor is that the poor plan for the weekend and the rich plan for the next generation. And its sooo true.

Why do you have to go to the "hood" when you can go to the "burbs" and see people who make 30,000 yr living in 750,000 homes with no furniture.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^^This says it all^^^. I might add that everything in our society encourages this kind of short term mindset. It's done deliberately to keep people dependent on their jobs, dependent on the government, etc. Anything and everything is done to encourage people to stay in "survival" mode so that they won't step back and take a look at what's really going on in the world.
And we have a winner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance