Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

I saw my credit score for the first time today. 646.

This is interesting - I'm surprised how low it is, but then again, I have little credit history. I took out a car loan (which I paid off prematurely, and was small to begin with), about $20,000 in student loans (which I have not paid a single dime on, as I have qualified for a string of deferments and forebearances), and two store card accounts - Newegg and Amazon.com. I used the Newegg one to buy a laptop in 2009 and remembered to pay the whole thing off right on the due date, although I was hit by an additional charge which I refused to pay. The Amazon.com card I mostly have good history paying off, although it does not deduct automatically from my bank account so I have missed occasional payments, even though they are very small (minimum of $25.00).

Could the deferments / forebearances be negatively impacting my credit score, or is it my lack of credit history that's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Could the deferments / forebearances be negatively impacting my credit score, or is it my lack of credit history that's the problem?
No and No...

Quote:
I used the Newegg one to buy a laptop in 2009 and remembered to pay the whole thing off right on the due date, although I was hit by an additional charge which I refused to pay.
Did you just refuse to pay or did you get it settled with the card issuer and they agreed to drop those charges. If you just uped and refused to pay, you kicked your own self in the rear on that.

Quote:
The Amazon.com card I mostly have good history paying off, although it does not deduct automatically from my bank account so I have missed occasional payments, even though they are very small (minimum of $25.00).
Missing payments hurts you. It's not how much the payment was, or why you missed it. The fact that you are not paying when due is what hurts you.

Have you reviewed your credit reports to see what they are reporting? Thats even more important than some single number.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM

426 posts, read 1,909,301 times
My advice is pay whatever the creditor wants every month. They have total power of you when they extend you credit. Its a very risky game but its rewarding if we play it right.

1) never keep a balance over 50% of your limit. This lowers your score by 30 points or more

2) do not apply for credit very often. If someone wants to pull your credit, it will lower your score. For those more advanced who might be reading this, I know there is more to it than this but for a beginner lets just leave it simple for now.

3) Always pay your credit on time. Paying your rent late or your cell phone bill is NOT credit the same way a credit card, or car loan, or mortgage is. ALWAYS make sure you make your minimum payments on credit cards, car loans and mortgage or any other offical credit.

Cell phone is NOT credit. Rent is NOT credit. But they are signed contracts and if you DEFAULT altogether they can put that on your credit. So keep this in mind but give priority to the actual credit.

Realize credit is mostly a scam. It invites you to get into debt so you are always enslaved to the creditors and the interest they charge you. You were smart to PAY IT OFF .

Use your credit at least once every 3 months. This keeps the tradeline active. So instead of paying that cell phone bill with your debit card.........put it on your credit card. Then a week later pay that off with your debit card.

If you follow some basic rules, you can build credit to your advantage.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,887 times
Heres another little detail most people starting out don't know. You are not late on your credit report until payment is 30 days past due not when the creditor collects a late fee.

An example: Bill due on the 1st with late fee collected on the 5th. As long as they have your payment posted by the 30th it will report as paid on time to credit bureaus. Most peoples first reaction when they get behind is I've already incurred a late fee with creditor A so let me pay creditor B before I get another late fee. This is good in the short term but could come back to haunt you for years if you don't get it paid in the 30 day window. Even when life throws you a curveball pay bills in order due to keep the pain(late fees) short term and not long term(lowered credit score through late payments for 2 years).

Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 AM

399 posts, read 855,073 times
Credit scores seem to fluctuate a great deal because of one reason or another. If one is late on a mortgage or credit card payment it usually can drop the score up to 100 points or more. How long does it normally take to right the score? I know the seven year plateau erases it from the report but does anyone know a little more about how fast it returns?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,177 times
I may be wrong, probably am, but I believe your credit starts recovering in 6 months... provided you have no more late payments.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,832 times
I checked my credit score a few years back. It was in the mid 600s. I never really cared because I don't plan to borrow money, but I was a bit surprised it was that low.

I've been debt free for almost 20 years and am not a big spender. (I shop mostly at yard sales and thrift stores.) I have two credit cards that I use moderately and pay off every month. I pay cash for an older car and keep it for 5-10 years.

I did ask at the folks at my local office of the insurance agency I use (State Farm) if my credit score was taken into account in my policies. They said no. I only have basic liability on my car, and renters insurance.

I'm not planning on buying and going into debt on something big just to boost my credit score.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,075 times
Ever look at how your credit score is figured? It's an 'I love to be in debt' score. BTDT, ain't goin back.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Ever look at how your credit score is figured? It's an 'I love to be in debt' score. BTDT, ain't goin back.
I do love to be in debt. It gives me a sense of obligation and therefore purpose.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,075 times
You can't be serious?!?!?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance