Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
How can you tell someone's doctor or education by looking at them? Man, you are really off...your post makes no sense....Doctor, diet, accountants, are not bling bling,,,
What if a person doesn't do any of these things, but instead lives a solidly middle-class lifestyle in every way (including all spending) ... and also has $7 million in his bank and investment accounts.

Is this person rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Most of the Spousal Unit's nice watches are Poljots; I've got a stack of Coach purses gathering dust in my closet but these days use a Chrome messenger bag as my everyday purse, and a Pacsafe for traveling. Part of how we shape ourselves involves being a bit hard to read or categorize.

I live in the land where the 1% with more money than imagination vacation. And the Eau de Entitlement from a certain part of that crowd, it definitely makes itself known.
Coach is not considered luxury. It's a brand that allows people to think they are buying luxury.

You said spousal units nice watches are Poljots? Do you mean Piaget watches? Audemars Piaget?

As for your comment about the 1% crowd....Eau de Entitlement. Do you mean they are paying for service so they expect service?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
from what i can tell form CDF posts on the subject, if they are not strutting, boasting and putting on airs & living way beyond their means, they might be rich. the eddy murphy school on becoming rich teaches that if you act eat dress and hang out like a rich man you will become one, liar liar liar.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
from what i can tell form CDF posts on the subject, if they are not strutting, boasting and putting on airs & living way beyond their means, they might be rich. the eddy murphy school on becoming rich teaches that if you act eat dress and hang out like a rich man you will become one, liar liar liar.
Agree, when someone is not rich but tries to act rich, by using credit or spending a windfall poorly they are actually causing their own roadblock to becoming rich.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You said spousal units nice watches are Poljots? Do you mean Piaget watches? Audemars Piaget?

As for your comment about the 1% crowd....Eau de Entitlement. Do you mean they are paying for service so they expect service?
Nope Poljot-"The Watch of Cosmonauts"- as in the Russians who bought out a mix of American and Swiss companies in the 1930s and used that as a basis for creating a Soviet timepiece that was the equal of the midlevel Swiss product. Spousal Unit is bummed that they've gone more commercial in recent years and the Cryillic watch faces aren't as common in the West as they used to be.

Eau de Entitlement in the sense that I've been told "If it weren't for My People deciding you deserve our presence, You People wouldn't have jobs so you should kowtow to me" when, hey, no one in my household has ever worked tourism around here. Funny how it's the $250K a year crowd that seems to have the worst of those kind of airs when the billionaires I've known who could buy and sell the Eau de Entitlement crowd out of couch cushion money are generally far more pleasant and classy.

I've got a whole related rant about that crowd deciding that since they're on vacation, they no longer have to keep their kids in line which best case straddles the line between amusement and annoyance (the kids playing dodgeball in the frozen foods section at Publix comes to mind) and worse case ends up with dead kids because parents didn't think the double red flags means closed beach rule applies to their family and someone drowns.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Poljot... hmm, learn something new every day. For the rest of your rant. What a sad way to see people who actually are the people who pay for services in which if they didn't you wouldn't have a job. I'm not saying people should treat others the way you say but I doubt most do.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Poljot... hmm, learn something new every day. For the rest of your rant. What a sad way to see people who actually are the people who pay for services in which if they didn't you wouldn't have a job. I'm not saying people should treat others the way you say but I doubt most do.
It's a minority, but it's a nasty minority. I'm just glad I never had to deal with that group directly and only really see it secondhand when we go out to dinner and the insecure and arrogant decides they have to randomly berate the waitstaff, not for poor service, but because it's how they get their kicks.

I've worked on the college/university side of things since we moved down here. Funny thing about vacations is that my usual peer group has also grown a bit cynical about the pleasant beach area as seen in the Truman Show and, except for the ones with kids who need to make a pilgrimage to the giant rat, takes their sub-$100K salaries and ends up in places like Patagonia, Thailand, Turkey, Germany (his kid plays pro basketball over there) taking three weeks in Barcelona, or our old department secretary spending Thanksgiving in Tibilisi, Georgia under the logic that it was a cheap deal and Air France was giving her an 18 hour layover in Paris on the way out to catch up with old friends.

I've come to have a certain cynical attitude along the lines of 'If you're as rich as you want people to think you are, what are you doing here for vacation?' (yeah, I know, everyone has different priorities and all-I know a guy whose guitar collection is worth more than his house is, but still you can do better for a beach vacation elsewhere than what you get here at a given price, IMO) combined with a tendency to go overkill on the manners and politeness when I'm outside my usual territory in the name of not wanting to be an ugly American myself.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times
If your entire income is from a salary then your a wage-slave, and likely not very wealthy. ~ Submariner

I like the term wage-slave! Never heard that before.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What if a person doesn't do any of these things, but instead lives a solidly middle-class lifestyle in every way (including all spending) ... and also has $7 million in his bank and investment accounts.

Is this person rich?
What if I am 6ft 8 with a 40 inch vertical and can be a 2nd round NBA draft choice but instead just want to play in the park four days a week?

The fantasies that rich are just like you belie a fundamental fact: we usually take the best option available to us..to do otherwise is stupid..illogical...money is used to purchase a better standard of living...when you die you cant take it with you.

flash is one thing, access to better social infrastructure is another.

take schools for example, that's why if you can afford it you live in the best area you possibly can as public schools are funded via the local tax base...

man, the poor sure has been brainwashed...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
If your entire income is from a salary then your a wage-slave, and likely not very wealthy. ~ Submariner

I like the term wage-slave! Never heard that before.
kinda, but, not all slaves are equal...is a sr partner at a good law firm who earns seven figures a slave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance