Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM

15 posts, read 131,043 times

Advertisements

Yes my salary was $52,000 for last year but that was with alot of overtime. Company already said to employees there will NOT be much overtime in 2013.

But was it supposed to be entered on line 2 of the answer of continuing garnishment form ? Futher down the form they filled out gross earnings, social security and withholding tax, total disposable earnings, and amount of wages subject to continuing garnishment.

My check is every 2 weeks and is NEVER the same. Will my employer deduct 25% of my ACTUAL take home pay or deduct the amount she listed on the Answer of Continuing Garnishment form ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
First off, thanks for the rep, Jan. You said "You are not correct. Bankruptcy is the only way to stop this." Since my REPEATED posts to the contrary have fallen on deaf ears, here is the proof in the pudding.

Garnishment Info

Want to tell us again that a bankruptcy is the only way, Jan?

Vettecor - Sounds like a simple human error. 25% of weekly take home pay is subject to garnishment.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM

15 posts, read 131,043 times
How would I pay an attorney to file a bankruptcy? From what I understand it runs between $1000-$2000.

I am worried about eating and keeping a roof over my head, I certainly can't afford an attorney. I make too much money for legal aid to help.

I have NEVER been on welfare of any kind or gotten any assistance from the government EVER. I have no living relatives and am 60 years old.

Then today on top of things I had to send $13.69 to the Georgia Courts just to receive paperwork that was NEVER supplied to me.

I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days because I have no apatite and can't sleep.

Then i get a response that says man up and pay the debt !! If I had freekin money I would pay the debt.

I just got the only other form that my employer got beside the Answer of Continuing Garnishment and the total with principal, interest, attorney fees, and court costs is $15,000 and change. The interest alone is $3000.00 MORE than the principal !!

Sorry for venting. I do appreciate everything that you guys have done. Most of you anyway. LOL

Thanks again

Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Vettecor, I know this is stressful, but try to calm down and take a breath.

What county do you live in? Area you in the greater Tampa area? You should run down to your county courthouse if you can and ask them to search for any suits filed in your name in an attempt to domesticate this judgement. If that has happened, you can get a copy of the case file right there.

One thing at a time, my friend. One thing at a time.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
First off, thanks for the rep, Jan. You said "You are not correct. Bankruptcy is the only way to stop this." Since my REPEATED posts to the contrary have fallen on deaf ears, here is the proof in the pudding.

Garnishment Info

Want to tell us again that a bankruptcy is the only way, Jan?

Vettecor - Sounds like a simple human error. 25% of weekly take home pay is subject to garnishment.
What Constitutes Practicing Law Without a License in Florida? | eHow.com

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM

What's your point?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
What's your point?
This should be kept about helping the OP, and not pimping a profession. Take your own advice Dave, RELAX

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This should be kept about helping the OP, and not pimping a profession. Take your own advice Dave, RELAX
Who is pimping any professor? And I'm perfectly relaxed.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Service is generally by way of a process server or certified mail. Rarely is it ever mailed first class as there is simply too many ways that can go wrong.
Typically, but not always. So maybe it was a card asking the OP to come to the post office and sign for the certified letter that was thrown out. Or the papers the process server left in the door when nobody was home on the third trip to the house (legal in Iowa, don't know about Georgia).

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably the only one who feels that way.
Somebody repped the post, so apparently I'm not completely alone here.

Quote:
Assuming the OP is being truthful, the lender failed to send the deficiency notices required under Georgia law. They also probably failed to properly serve him in Georgia, and they've probably failed to domesticate the judgement into Florida and if they did, they probably didn't serve him properly here either.

Taking all that into consideration, you still think he should pay them?
If the OP is being truthful, he owes a finance company $5K on an old car loan. Yes, I feel he needs to pay it. Whether or not the garnishment has been handled properly or not doesn't matter.

If the garnishment is going to cause financial hardship and it can be proven that proper legal notice wasn't given regarding the judgement he could certainly take steps to have the garnishment blocked, then try to work directly with the creditor on a more palatable repayment arrangement.

My point was simply that it if he really owes the money it might be less painful in the long run to cut the budget to the bone, get a second job, and just get it taken care of than dragging it out and spending just as much in legal fees trying to fight it.

Bankruptcy is for people who make $20K and end up with six-figure medical bills, not people who make $50K and owe five grand on a nine-year-old car note.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Bankruptcy is for people who make $20K and end up with six-figure medical bills, not people who make $50K and owe five grand on a nine-year-old car note.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Assuming of course the 50K # is really just a human error where somehow his salary got conflated with the outstanding debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance