Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
That's the way I look at it. I get a monthly loan for 0%? Plus I get reward points/cash back from my purchase? Sign me up!
This is what I do also, but it's not bad to have options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Hi all--

My lowest is 12.9% and my highest is higher than most loan sharks.

But that doesn't matter because I've never carried a balance, ever. I've always paid it off.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
This is what I've done in the past, but I'm not trying to open new accounts right now. Even if I do, they give me a credit limit of like $1500, when they used to give $15,000. $1500 isn't worth it for me to open another account.

I'm basically wondering if I can get one card down to around 6%. This older lady I know has a Target card that was used to purchase repairs on her vehicle. She consistently paid the bill late - she was paying by check when the statement would come in the mail and somehow she was always one month behind. When she called Target, they put her on a 4 year payment plan and lowered her rate from like 20% to 6.5%. So that got me to thinking it is possible?
Her example really isn't valid. She was on a structured repayment plan that she was probably only eligible for due to her prior delinquency. By the time you figure in the late fees she was probably charged before they put her on the payment plan plus accrued interest her effective interest rate probably didn't change much.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Im really surprised some people have rates lower than 7%. That is lower than a lot of personal loans. I have no clue what mine is, I should probably check. Either way I paid $0 in interest last year. That I do know.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
I have a visa platinium plus card (what ever that means) at 6.24%.

An AMEX at 12%.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
So it seems that people with good credit history hover around the 10-12% mark. Interesting. I suppose it would make sense that credit cards and personal unsecured loans for people with good history are the same - since both of these are sort of the same. I guess I was thinking that after a lot of years of on time payments that credit cards would lower your rates, they can just jack them up to 29.99% as soon as you miss one payment anyways. It seems to me that people who are financially literate, don't keep balances on CC anyway (unless it is a 0% rate). Wouldn't it make sense for CC companies to offer these people say 5% to entice them to use the CC rather than a home equity loan or something? Or is the risk just too great?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
So it seems that people with good credit history hover around the 10-12% mark. Interesting. I suppose it would make sense that credit cards and personal unsecured loans for people with good history are the same - since both of these are sort of the same. I guess I was thinking that after a lot of years of on time payments that credit cards would lower your rates, they can just jack them up to 29.99% as soon as you miss one payment anyways. It seems to me that people who are financially literate, don't keep balances on CC anyway (unless it is a 0% rate). Wouldn't it make sense for CC companies to offer these people say 5% to entice them to use the CC rather than a home equity loan or something? Or is the risk just too great?
Also, note that CCs that give rewards are usually high interest ones. They are betting that you would fail at some point. My 12% AMEX is a mile reward card whereas the 6.24% has no reward and is my emergency card.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
My lowest is one of my Bank of America cards at 8.49%.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
The only credit card I have that I actually use is Care Credit, by GE Capital. It's for big veterinary bills. Zero interest, as long as you pay it off within 6 months (after that I think it goes up to stratospheric levels, but I've always paid it off). It's much better that tapping my emergency fund.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The only credit card I have that I actually use is Care Credit, by GE Capital. It's for big veterinary bills. Zero interest, as long as you pay it off within 6 months (after that I think it goes up to stratospheric levels, but I've always paid it off). It's much better that tapping my emergency fund.
That's very common with store credit cards like Lowes/HD/Best Buy etc. 0% financing for X months, but then 25%+ if not paid by full. They'll charge you all the interest too, not just on the balance on the card at the end of the promotion. It's not a bad deal if you can stick to paying it off early, but it can bite you hard if you don't. They're betting you don't stick to the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance